Home Forums Chat Forum Which Combi Boiler

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Which Combi Boiler
  • franksinatra

Be nice to have a wireless thermostat without shouting to the kids upstairs to override the timer!

I’ve just completed my wireless set up today. I can now shout at Alexa to turn the heating up or down. She does it without complaint

(Heatmiser NeoStats feeding to Wireless RF receiver, chatting to Alexa via NeoHub which is connected directly to broadband router. God help me when it stops working and I need to fault find.)

cynic-al
    Free Member

10 years servicing for a warranty (limited?)

Spent £2-300 in 11years on repairing mine (“crap” Ravenheat).

dannybgoode

@cynic-al. I view it as just another form of insurance. Sure nothing might break or it may be something cheap to fix.

On the other hand occasionally something horribly expensive breaks a couple of years in which, without a warranty repair, would render the repair uneconomical.

Plus you get the security of knowing the boiler is safe and functioning properly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes i see that view, but for most things I usually take the risk – hate to see insurers profit, because I have worked for them.

dannybgoode

Although in this case it’s not insurers who profit but your local plumber :)

pat12
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the boiler.

Whatever way they’re running the scheme we’ve been told that they need to meet some energy efficiency saving to qualify. They can achieve this by replacing a boiler that more than 8 years old and adding underfloor insulation (I think this is a fiddle to be honest – I reckon at best a new boiler will be a couple of percent more efficient than our current one).

Our boiler is 9 years old. We’ve been intending to do underfloor insulation in the house for a couple of years but never gotten around to it. We were expecting it to cost around £300. We’ve been told £500 for boiler + insulation. Seems a no brainer.

Is this the new green homes grant?

I’ve got an ideal fitted about 5 years ago, been no issues. Just fitted a new boiler to my house and went for a Baxi 830 (same unit as a 630 just 10 years warranty rather than 7).

Several installers i talked to told me Worcester Bosch are a pain to service so they can never be arsed to do it properly (have to take a lot of it apart to access certain parts). Not sure if this is BS or not.

Went for the Baxi because seemed a couple of hundred quid cheaper

pat12
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the boiler.

Whatever way they’re running the scheme we’ve been told that they need to meet some energy efficiency saving to qualify. They can achieve this by replacing a boiler that more than 8 years old and adding underfloor insulation (I think this is a fiddle to be honest – I reckon at best a new boiler will be a couple of percent more efficient than our current one).

Our boiler is 9 years old. We’ve been intending to do underfloor insulation in the house for a couple of years but never gotten around to it. We were expecting it to cost around £300. We’ve been told £500 for boiler + insulation. Seems a no brainer.

Is this the new green homes grant?

I’ve got an ideal fitted about 5 years ago, been no issues. Just fitted a new boiler to my new house and went for a Baxi 830 (same unit as a 630 just 10 years warranty rather than 7).

Several installers i talked to told me Worcester Bosch are a pain to service so they can never be arsed to do it properly (have to take a lot of it apart to access certain parts). Not sure if this is BS or not.

Went for the Baxi because seemed a couple of hundred quid cheaper than the equivilent WB.

However not that convinced yet as the running costs seem higher (but thats a seperate thread)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

10 years servicing for a warranty (limited?)

Fair point I suppose, but as said, the manufacturer doesn’t directly financially benefit and they all insist on it to maintain the guarantee. So hey ho. I pay £50 cash in hand every year for the installers signature on a guarantee, If you want to look at it in that way.

Del

swings and r’bouts. one advantage of getting the services done is you’ve got a plumber on the end of the phone if you need one and the back up of the manufacturer’s warranty. if you get a problem and the manufacturer can’t fix it you’ll get a new boiler. if something else goes awry you’ve got your plumber you’ve been feeding regular work to. i’ve lived in a house for 2 weeks in a cold november without heating or hot water because i was trying to do things on the cheap. i’m in no hurry to repeat the experience.

singletrackmind

Ideal logic in my radio rental. Been faultless since install
    Outside air temp thingy boosts output when its cold outside apparently
    Get a service anf gas safe cert by law annually so keeping up the warrenty is simple and ties in
    Own flat WB 24i. Old maybe 15 years and has issues, low voltage relay fsiled. New pcb wss spendy so by sheer luck found the part on ebay for 25p and soldered it in myself
    Fan bearing failed, wsd an issue and is common so acquired a spare off ebay for £10. Fitting screws rusted to buggery so hole sawed round them then cut same holes in new fan, self tappers and silicone sealant and its working. Reverbs a little on start up mind
    If it fails again its probably goingbto mean a new boiler as the fan will not be easy to remove

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Which Combi Boiler’ is closed to new replies.