Home Forums Chat Forum which classic computer game(s) would you like remade for today?

• This topic has 129 replies, 87 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)
  • which classic computer game(s) would you like remade for today?
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

As said above, a lot of old games don’t much translate to the modern world. Desert Strike was one of my Megadrive favourites, but it was an isometric game that recreated today would seem laughably restricted. Hence it would be released as a regular flight sim, and not be unique like it once was.

Road Rash however, as mentioned in the first and many many subsequent posts was my first thought when I saw the thread. That would be simply epic. Super bikes racing round city environments, illegal racing with weapons, how awesome.

In fact I’m going to start queuing outside the game shop now

Cougar

Plus another, for me anyway, a modern day version of Dungeon Master

Here you go.

media

Did you play Quazatron?

I did. It was a decent enough, and they did well in writing something which played to the Speccy’s strengths (ie, a direct port would probably have been dire). Always preferred Paradroid though.

Andy_B

Cybernoid
    Plenty of mindless shooting

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Qix and Beach head on the Atari.
    Arnie on the C64.
    Classic game I can’t remember on the Amiga jumping around roof tops killing people.
    Killer Instinct on the SNES.

d45yth
    Free Member

I used to love the games on the old Neo-Geo arcade machines…have you seen the Analogue Interactive walnut consoles? They play the arcade MVS cartridges, way cheaper than the AES home versions…shame the console isn’t cheap though!

colournoise

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Cannon Fodder has been shamelessly ripped off onto ios as Tiny Troopers – a quick play on a mate’s ipad suggests they’ve done a good job. Missing the intro music though…

Irish_AL
    Free Member

Meta Galatic Llamas battle at the edge of time

Gridrunner

come to think of it anything wriiten by Jeff minter and Llama software 😀

schnor
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Exile yet?

Best BBC game EVAR!1 bloody kids nowadays have no idea

And Repton, Chuckie Egg, Joust, and pretty much everything else from the late 80’s 😀

[edit] p.s. Starship command. I think my mondeo has better graphics TBH

bloodynora
    Free Member

Sensible Soccer
    Flashback

Cougar

Hell’s teeth, Shadowfire!

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

I loved Star Control on the Megadrive.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Contact Sam Cruise
    Dino Dini’s Kick Off 2
    Airbourne Ranger
    California Games
    Eddie Kidd’s Jump Challenge
    Another World

flipiddy
    Free Member

Man alive! Exile! Bloody hell I’d forgotten all about that game… It was awesome sauce…

I remember the robots being hard as nails. Tricky game for an 8 yr old 😀

Would a remake be worth it? It was good for the time, but now?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

not forgetting Impossible Mission

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Jesus! Jeff Minter. Is that hippy still alive???

motox2k
    Free Member

California games

Kevevs
    Free Member

Elite

nasher
    Free Member

rick dangerous!!!

although superseeded by tomb raider i suppose

ChrisL

ChrisL – no offence but you strike me more as being the type of kid who’d rarely leave his bedroom rather than hanging around arcades.

I did play in the arcade at Aberdeen beach a little, but mostly I played on my C64, or friends’ Spectrums. R-Type was converted to them but at the time the arcade original was to me just an unbelievably amazing looking thing I only saw in magazines.

Cougar – I totally understand why games back then were so biased to repetition and pattern learning, I just thought that my post was going on a bit and so decided not to mention it. 🙂

X-Com/UFO was an evolution of games such as Laser Squad and Lords of Chaos so it’s already been demonstrated once that the core concept can evolve beyond the initial hardware it was implemented on. Turn-based gaming might be an increasingly small market niche, though, and a late 90s sequel to X-Com suggests that it isn’t a format that can be made real-time easily.

ActionJackson
    Free Member

Got to be, the definite collection:

IK+
    Cosmic Causeway
    Boulderdash
    Last Ninja
    Wizball
    Buggy Boy
    Nemesis
    Paperboy
    Daley Thompsons Decathlon
    California games
    Ghosts and Goblins
    Gauntlet
    Ikari Warriors
    Populous
    and the game that you could play when loading where you paint squares

I need to get my C64 back, PS3 beater anyday

mojodave
    Free Member

not forgetting Impossible Mission

Loved that game on the C64 – was amazed at the characters fluid running and jumping and the game even spoke to you in that evil electronic voice!

racefaceec90

Cougar by the gods that grimrock game looks awesome (i love the eye of the beholder games).
    unfortunately my pc isn’t powerful enough to run it,and i don’t have a credit card to order it online 🙁 GAH!

Cougar

I’ve a couple of mates playing Grimrock, it’s supposed to be awesome. In the Steam sale currently, you’ve got 6 hours to pick it up for under a fiver.

Is that hippy still alive?

Mostly involved in iDevice development these days.

Interesting trivia fact, the visualisation thing on the Xbox 360 music player is a Minter outing, it’s the evolution of the old Colourspace / Trip-a-Tron “light synthesiser” outings.

mudshark
    Free Member

Elite?

Well I used to play First Encounters which is a great advancement over the original version – proper graphics and you can change ships. Looks like you can get it here:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/709/Frontier+-+First+Encounters.html

al2000

Beyond The Forbidden Forest.

It’s not exactly a looker nor did it have any replay value, but it was so tense and atmospheric and all the more impressive for looking so crude.

Drac

Well I used to play First Encounters which is a great advancement over the original version – proper graphics and you can change ships. Looks like you can get it here:

And renowned for being the most bug filled game of all time.

grahamb
    Free Member

for an updated version of elite, check out oolite[/url]

seosamh77
    Free Member

a remake of doom 2 would be immense!

mudshark
    Free Member

And renowned for being the most bug filled game of all time.

Yeah but there was a patch at some point that fixed things – I never had any problems when I played it and yeah it was what pretty great in Elite terms. On missions fun to choose between a massive trading ship stuffed with the biggest lasers and shields but poor manoeuvrability or a light weight fighter that couldn’t carry much fire power or many shields but was very difficult to hit.

Drac

Oh wait First Encounters was the 3rd in the series I meant Frontier.

stayhigh

Ghouls and Ghosts was amazing fun when I was a kid, I loved it.

Are there any emulators that I can use to play it again and relive being 12?

Cougar

Oh wait First Encounters was the 3rd in the series I meant Frontier.

IIRC they were both buggy, but Encounters was worse.

AlexSimon

Shadowrun (SNES)

http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/
    ooh – thanks Cougar!
    I’m already worried by the clean hyper realism though. I guess it’s inevitable, but I liked the dirty and sparse look of the original.

Cougar

I backed their Kickstarter. Never played the SNES game, but used to play (and later GM) the pen & paper RPG forever ago.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

non should be re-made they should be locked away and remembered for what they were 😉

i did download the orginal syphon filter the other night form the PS Store, funny as hell seeing the chunky graphics and terrible contorl system, but i thad me hooked and thats what it was all about. i know its not that old but its mentla to see how far gaming has come, in a weird way games these days are almost too perfect…

speedball would be a good remake

Danny79
    Free Member

Excuse the thread reserection just seen that an 80’s classic I think we missed has been remade and is due release this month: Carrier Command.

I always got hammered by the red carrier but kept coming back to it, will have to checkout the reviews of the remake Carrier Comand: Gaea Mission.

andrewrchambers
    Free Member

Perhaps not as old as some of the others being suggested but a classic nonetheless. This was Rare when they made awesome games.

jwt
    Free Member

Does anyone remember ‘Planets’.
    It was a turn based space strategy game, where everyone completed their moves and sent the disc to someone to ‘run’ the turn, or you’d all go to someone’s house to do it.
    Quite compelling considering how basic it was.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

You can get SpeedBall2 on the iphone. It’s way too easy after a while though.

The one I’d love to see remade, with a GTA type game engine, is Skooldaze / Bak 2 Skool

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘which classic computer game(s) would you like remade for today?’ is closed to new replies.