Home Forums Chat Forum Which budget lens for DSLR camera

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which budget lens for DSLR camera
  • eruptron
    Free Member

I recently broke my 75-300mm lens. I like photography but generally only tend to use the preset options.
    I generally use the camera for wildlife photography mainly birds. So need a lens to get up as close a possible. Whether it’s something on the feeder at home or the Bearded tits at Leighton moss.
    So there isn’t a great deal of point going mad money wise due to my ability/budget.
    I’ve looked at just going like for like.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-75-300mm-4-0-5-6-III-Lens/dp/B00005K47Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509267707&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+ef+75+300mm
    Would be nice to get something slightly better but looking at second hand stuff on the like of WEX is a bit scary.
    They have this one.
    https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-ef-70-300mm-f4-5-6-is-usm-lens-used-1643406/
    Slightly confuses as it shows two different lenses. I will ask the question on their page.
    I assume they will both fit my camera which is only entry level.
    CANON EOS 1100D being an EF mount.
    Any other recommendations?
    Cheers Steve

dannybgoode

For £204 it is the second one on the Wex website. If it were the first then I’d have snapped their hand off as it is a L series lens.

For something like the 1100D I’d actually suggest 2 lenses – the 18-55mm and 55-250mm EF-S pair. Optically better than one convering the whole range and not too pricey.

You could always find a good secondhand X2 teleconverter to take the 55-250 to 110mm – 500 but at the expense of aperture. Would only really work in good light.

This Sigma 18-300mm may tick the box also.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sigma-18-300mm-f35-63-c-dc-macro-os-hsm-canon-fit-1560120/?mkwid=sR4IuoytA_dm&pcrid=227180733086&kword=&match=&plid=&product=1560120&gclid=CjwKCAjw-NXPBRB4EiwAVNRLKu5uWqL5tScXmbwNLcmlLmbt86gmQZlGQ5qC-PqDGJGfvu5VOfJsFRoCUX8QAvD_BwE

cranberry
    Free Member

I think that 2nd lens from Wex is a pricing mistake – priced at the same price as the non L lens of the same zoom range.

I’d get it bought, if you can.

tlr
    Free Member

You could always find a good secondhand X2 teleconverter to take the 55-250 to 110mm – 500 but at the expense of aperture. Would only really work in good light.

And it won’t auto focus on that body at f8 or f11.

If you can afford it then the 2 cheapest realistic wildlife options are the 400mm f5.6 or the original 100-400 f5.6. The prime lens is optically better I think, but it doesn’t have image stabilisation whereas the 100-400 does. This means that the prime really needs a tripod or beanbag for anything less than 400ths unless you are very steady handed.

Both will be around £500-£600 maybe, but they will be massively better than the other options mentioned. Don’t put your own ability down, the glass is a huge part of getting a good wildlife picture. Just don’t start looking at the 500mm and 600mm, they really do sting the wallet.

eruptron
    Free Member

cranberry – Member
    I think that 2nd lens from Wex is a pricing mistake – priced at the same price as the non L lens of the same zoom range.
    I’d get it bought, if you can.

Stupidly asked them the question. Strangely the product is now discontinued and something very similar has been put on at 700 quid. No reply though which is a bit poor.In reality it was probably this one as that was in one of the pictures.
    https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-ef-70-300mm-f4-5-6-is-usm-lens-used-1642854/

eruptron
    Free Member

dannybgoode is the Sigma one not a macro lens? would this still be ok for wildlife and the such.

dannybgoode

A macro lens can be used as a normal lens also. Just means it can focus right to close for macro as well.

Makes it hugely versatile.

eruptron
    Free Member

dannybgoode – Member
    A macro lens can be used as a normal lens also. Just means it can focus right to close for macro as well.

Makes it hugely versatile.

Cheers. nice to know

cranberry
    Free Member

Stupidly asked them the question. Strangely the product is now discontinued and something very similar has been put on at 700 quid.

Unfortunately it is back to the price that it should have been. Lenses hold their value amazingly well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which budget lens for DSLR camera’ is closed to new replies.