Home Forums Bike Forum Which 29er Hardtail frame…?

• This topic has 49 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Which 29er Hardtail frame…?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Won’t bore you with the reasons but looking at buying a new 29er HT frame at the moment, and having choice anxiety. Ideally don’t want to spend a fortune, have all the parts required (save for maybe a chain and a seat clamp) to build one except the frame, and seeing as I can barely give the parts away it makes sense to me at least to build a bike out of them… Especially as I don’t really get on with my Gravel Bike (too compromised off road) and my fat bike just sits there waiting for it to snow, so both will likely be going soon to free up space anyway…

Here’s a list of needs/wants…

• 29er
    • Not too long/low/slack that it’s pretending to be an Enduro bike
    • Not too XC that it only makes sense for XC racing
    • Frame material unimportant
    • Boost spacing (have wheels and fork already)
    • Stealth dropper routing
    • Short enough seat tube that I can run a 150mm drop post with 740mm BB to saddle height (so realistically about 470mm max depending on dropper)
    • Clearance for 2.4″ tyres
    • Decent BB drop but not so low that it needs stupidly short cranks (I already have 170’s)
    • Relatively “forgiving” ride (I appreciate this would tend towards steel or Ti, but there are some ally frames out there that don’t ride like they’re made of box section) albeit not a flexy noodle.
    • Designed around 120-130mm fork, 140mm absolute max.
    • “Fun” to ride on more sedate trails… But not so incapable that it can’t manage a bit of steep stuff from time to time. Think more “skids and wheelies” than rad enduro bike… The idea is that this bike will spend a lot of time in the back of my van, when travelling for work, so quick 30min-1hr rides will be the order of the day.
    • No super steep seat angles. This bike is going to do plenty of unchallenging rides to help me get my fitness and health back, I have found anything steeper than about 75deg might be superb for helping you climb efficiently, but puts your weight too far forward for comfort on flatter terrain.

Have been looking around, came up with a few ideas… Mostly started looking at complete bikes, but that then means I’d have a load of parts spare to sell again once upgraded which kinda defeats the object…

Frames I have considered…

Currently the 2023 Ragley Marley 290 frame is leading the way… Seems to hit all my criteria, but also is pretty cheap too @ £350.

I hear great things about the Merida Big Trails, but it would mean picking one up 2nd hand and upgrading all the parts (which means I’d have lots more stuff to sell again) as would a Ragley Big Al (2023 frame is too long/low/slack) which are heavily discounted @ CRC right now…

I had been looking at the Vitus Sentier but again only a full build (though crazy VFM) and also I’d need a large which has a 483mm seat tube which means a 150mm drop post would be out of the question sadly.

The latest Santa Cruz Chameleon looks great, maybe could do with a few mm more BB drop but otherwise fits the bill nicely… But whilst the budget isn’t a strict criteria here, it would really have to be a hell of a lot better than cheaper alternatives to justify the extra cost…

I tried a Yeti ARC briefly a few months ago. The steep seat angle really put me off it sadly. Otherwise was totally prepared to buy one frame only.

New Kinesis FF29 looks good too, but again, 76deg seat angle, and also it’s a bit long in the reach.

So I keep coming back to the latest Ragley Marley 290 frame…

TLDR…? Should I just buy a Ragley Marley 290 frame…? Anything else I should consider…? Any owner reviews of the new Marley frame, or more likely, the outgoing Big Al…?

IHN

The Pole in the Classifieds

teenrat

NS Eccentric? £149 on crc

mboy
    Free Member

The Pole in the Classifieds

Too big, too heavy, too Enduro for me… I looked at one ages ago, I’d need the small and even then it’s still quite long/low/slack and they’re over 3kg frame weight.

mboy
    Free Member

NS Eccentric? £149 on crc

I ummed and ahhed for 2 days on one of these. Something about it not quite right for me, considered one years ago and can’t remember why I didn’t buy it. Then decided “sod it, it’s £150” and… They’d sold out of mediums! 😂

core

‘New’ Cotic Solaris: https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/solaris

It’s just become a ‘mountain bike’ again – not XC, not enduro, just looks a bloody decent hardtail for all sorts of riding. Not cheap, but it’s also not dear by todays standard, not for 853 steel anyway.

WildHunter2009

Scandal pretty much fits the bill although maybe not ‘special’ but really really good frame for exactly what you describe.

I would probably replace my Scandal with the new Solaris though because I just like Cotics.

ossify

Production Privée Shan GT 😁

Ticks all your boxes.

I have it with a 180mm dropper and (I think) 170mm cranks, not sure of BB-saddle height but can check later.

https://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/review-production-prviee-shan-gt

https://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/readers-rides-bike-check-shias-production-privee-shan-gt-935/

P20

Sonder Signal? There’s a couple of steel ones on ebay. I bought a ti second from the Alpkit ebay store and it sounds similar to what your describing

chiefgrooveguru

Marley looks good except the BB is pretty low and the seat angle rather steep. Previous gen Big Al is better on those fronts (for your specs).

addy6402

@mboy – just sent you a PM

parkesie
    Free Member

Pace 529

mboy
    Free Member

New’ Cotic Solaris: https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/solaris

It’s just become a ‘mountain bike’ again – not XC, not enduro, just looks a bloody decent hardtail for all sorts of riding. Not cheap, but it’s also not dear by todays standard, not for 853 steel anyway.

Chatted to the Cotic guys @ Ard Rock about it… Looks good… Gonna be a few months wait for it still though, and they’ve pre-sold most of the first batch already! Also arguably it’s quite expensive for what it is.

Scandal pretty much fits the bill although maybe not ‘special’ but really really good frame for exactly what you describe.

It does for sure… But PX being PX, frame only price is not much cheaper than a full bike… Which makes it a lot more expensive than the Ragley.

Production Privée Shan GT 😁

Wanted one of these so badly when they first came out… A friend got one almost as soon as they did, and was subsequently very unimpressed with it (paintjob aside). Could never stomach the cost for a plain 4130 steel frame in the end. Does look like it would be fun though, but the fact my friends frame was 3.2kg (against a claimed 2.6kg) didn’t help either… I ruled out a Stanton Switch9er in the end for the same reason.

Sonder Signal? There’s a couple of steel ones on ebay. I bought a ti second from the Alpkit ebay store and it sounds similar to what your describing

I had a Ti one… Well… It’s identikit brother, the ill fated Titus Zestar. BB height was about 10mm more than quoted so I always felt perched on it, and I had a large with a 40mm stem when arguably I should have got a medium and run a 50mm stem on it. It also didn’t feel special like a Ti frame should, like other Ti frames I’ve owned or ridden in the past… The steel one is just a very heavy version (like over 3kg) of the same thing.

Marley looks good except the BB is pretty low and the seat angle rather steep. Previous gen Big Al is better on those fronts (for your specs).

No frame only on the Big Al any more in a medium though… Saddle rail adjustment gives approx 1-1.5deg effective adjustment, so could just run the saddle rails a bit further back… BB drop is workable, would give in the region of 305mm static with 2.4″ tyres I believe. Also can run longer dropper on the Marley cos of the seat tube shape, but if anyone knows of a frame only Big Al in medium, I’m all ears.

mboy
    Free Member

Pace 529

Too long… Also no mediums. Looks lovely though!

Bigmantrials

I recently got the new Big Al and have been very impressed with it so far, especially for the money. I don’t think you could go wrong with the new Marley 290 for what your wanting.

z1ppy

Pace 529
    Too long…

and from Pace 😉

shirley a light weight 29er FS would be more suitable, given your recent issues?

droplinked

I had similar requirements to you and I just picked up an On One Big Dog. Not ridden it yet but it’s more trail geo than enduro sled. Other things to consider:

• Nukeproof Scout
    • Cotic BFe Max
    • Bird Zero (or Forge, but that’s probably a bit too slack)
    • Pace RC529
    • Pipedream Moxie (quite slack but has sliding dropouts so can shorten the chain stays, and run with shorter fork)
    • Stanton Switch9er
    jfab

Nukeproof Scout 290 I’d say ticks most/all boxes? They were punting out 2022 frames at £300 for a while on CRC which included headset & seatclamp but may no longer have stock?

I have the 275, it’s squarely what I’d call a Mountain Bike. Doesn’t feel super slack or burly, rides along nicely on more relaxed trails but can also be chucked down anything you’d reasonable consider riding on a Hardtail. Basically fit the tyres that suit how you want to ride it!

I imagine it’s the same bike pretty much as one or two of the Ragleys, but lose track of which one! I’d say between a Ragley or Scout whichever one is on offer/in stock and you like the look of would be a safe bet?

honourablegeorge

Came across the Coal Pony earlier and liked it

In the spirit of recommend what you have, if you’d like a fun bike, the Starling Roost is…er…fun – this is mine

mboy
    Free Member

shirley a light weight 29er FS would be more suitable, given your recent issues?

I still have one of those. It will be used a fair bit as and when I’m up for doing longer rides again. I just want something relatively cheap I can keep in the back of my van, steal a 30min ride on here and there, even use for riding between shops. An old Whyte 5/629 would be ideal frame only in Boost, but it means sitting watching bikes on ebay then a load of crap parts spare again…

Primarily this is also an exercise in making use of good spare parts that I don’t want to give away at a silly price too.

suspendedanimation

I have the older Big Al and it is lovely. The new 29er Marley is basically the same bike, whereas the 23 Big Al has gone more LLS

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Scandal +1

Yea the price is silly, either wait it out or keep an eye 2nd hand. It’s a rod they’ve made for their own back, it’s a really good frame, they could have set the RRP at £550 from the start and no one would have batted an eylid, it’s a great frame. But now that it’s been sold at £199 or whatever, that’s what’s in peoples heads.

I’m just debating a fork swap on mine to shed some of the OEM weight of the 35’s and Goma’s, although if I ditch the Goma’s the weather will dry up!

acsevens

I like my Chameleon but I wouldn’t describe the ride as forgiving!

core

In 2020 I bought a new Scandal frame for £160, ridiculous!

olly2097
    Free Member

Buy a 2021 big trail 400. They should be well cheap by now.

Sell off the bits or keep as spares.

The frame is the same as the current 2023 one.

Reviewed really well everywhere including here.

“All the hardtail you’ll ever need” I think is what singletrack said.

I love my 600. Fantastic bike. Climbs well. Descends well. Will fit three bottle cages of that’s your thing. Great on xc as well as bike parks.

cp

I used to have a scandal, sold it, regretted it, and bought a new (to me) one recently.

Great things and appear to fulfill your brief well.

Buying new though I’d go for the 2023 Marley 290. I was looking at the 2022 big al as a scandal alternative before my one came up but the 2023 Marley 290 is essentially the same.

steelisideal
    Free Member

Another Big Dog advocate here. I run one with a very, very ‘aggressive hardtail’ build and it’s really excellent. Regularly ridden at BPW and Dyfi and seems to be just in that nice point of stiff but compliant.

With a slightly more trail focused build it would suit your needs beautifully. As would the Marley, although I’ve found Ragley aluminium frames to be quite stiff (not harsh, just a very firm ride).

suspendedanimation

I’d buy a huntsman frame but you have to buy a bike from on on one. Cheap enough though when they do the 799 deals just sell it all off

haggis1978

I bought a 2nd hand Orange Clockwork Evo 29er a month or two ago. Great bike. Not super slack and steep. Light enough. Cheap enough and looks superb. I got a 2020 orange (the colour) one. Nice and comfortable for cruising on fire roads if you’re looking to replace a gravel bike and yet still confident going down tech. I specifically bought that model and year because I didn’t want it slack and steep. Plenty of tire clearance for going larger than the Vittoria Aggaro’s it came standard with and I’m soon going to stick a 36t chainring on the front so I can get more power down.

crashrash

Cotics BeFemax – not least as they had a couple of frames on offer as seconds

djflexure

<p>I have a Last Fast Forward in large that I’m just about to split. Not boost but can come with a rear wheel. </p>

reeksy

Stanton Sherpa or Switch9er depending on your riding preferences.
    I loved my Cotics but the paint quality on the Stanton is out of this world.

Alex

I had a Scout 290. Ran it with 2.6 tyres and inserts so pretty low pressures and it still felt pretty harsh. That was coming from a run of steel frames. Went back to a BFEMax (which doesn’t meet your brief!) and absolutely love that. Feels way more compliant as well.

My daughter has a SolarisMax v2 I think. We built it up light with a 120mm fork and it’s a fantastic thing. Although not the lightest frame to start from.

Alex

Britango? https://nordestcycles.com/producto/cuadro-britango-2 – sure there is an english button somewhere on that site! I had a Bardino for a couple of years and only moved it on as I wanted to try something else.

flyingpotatoes

Merlin Malt 29er steel frame?

£395 with possibly more off if you have loyalty points.

Head angle may not be slack enough though

pisco

Stanton Sherpa

I was going to suggest this, until I read the criterion about a lowish BB. Other than that, it’s a superb all-rounder which would be perfect for the OP’s requirements IMO.

honourablegeorge

A discounted BFeMax is a great shout, brilliant bike

twonks

Sounds like a Whippet frame is needed, if you can get one at a good enough price.

BlipBloop

Vote for Stanton Sherpa here.

I love mine.

_tom_
    Free Member

Banshee Paradox? Not exactly cheap but they look great and people seem to agree with the “alu frame that feels like steel” thing. Even though I’m currently building up a 27.5″ FS I’m still looking at 29er hardtails and the Paradox has caught my eye!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.