Which 1 1/8″ ec34 angle set slackset headset?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which 1 1/8″ ec34 angle set slackset headset?
  • wzzzz

Looking to slacken off my old 26″ bike a little.

It has an old style non integrated 1 1/8″ external headset (EC34?)

Seems on one don’t do the slackset anymore.

I found the the works components – anyone got experience? Any others with more slack (those are 1 degree).

They are a bit pricey for an old bike really, but they are impossible to find second hand.

Is it worth bothering with? Cheers.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

I have an unused Works one that I bought for my first batch Cotic Hemlock and never fitted.

How long is your headtube?

I think 1° might be the max you can fit with an old school EC34 fit head tube. It was when I bought mine.

docrobster

Yes 1 degree is the most you’ll get, and there are different versions for different headtube lengths. I had a works component one about 6 years ago which I think was the only option for straight 34mm id head tubes at the time. It was a good bit of kit though. Sold the frame it’s it still in.

gigawhat

out of interest, what frame are you planning on putting it in?

wzzzz

Turner Flux.

Come on, who sniped me out of Kelvin’s headset?

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Sorry wzzzz…

Premier Icon granny_ring
    Subscriber

Bad form kelvin, and the other dude ….

Premier Icon granny_ring
    Subscriber

OP, if you can find a WC headset it’s worth it I’d say even tho it’s only 1 Degree it made a difference on my 5spot.

wzzzz

Thanks, I found a guy on pinkbike who custom machines them. I send my head tube length and he makes a 1.5 degree angleset for less than the Works headset.

Tempted to give it a go. Or do I flog the flux frame, wheels and forks and try and score something with modern geo.

Premier Icon granny_ring
    Subscriber

Oh that’s interesting if you can post a link up to that it might help some people on here.
    Try the headset first then sell it or all of the stuff if you don’t think the difference is enough.
    Think you would notice a fair difference tho with 1.5 degrees less.

Remember you can do shock bushes as well.

timnoyce

What’s the name of the dude on Pinkbike? I remember looking in to this a while back but didn’t save the info!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.