Home Forums Chat Forum Where to eat in Manchester?

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Where to eat in Manchester?
  • cb
    Free Member

Surprised to see Mowgli only getting the one mention, considering budget was limited – really nice!

The one thing that I miss about London is the number of good cheap Japenese places that do a proper Katsu curry – any recommendations in Manc as I’ve yet to find one (not Wagamama!)

nbt

Had katsu at Maki & Ramen today as it happens. Nice enough, the sauce was warm rather than hot though. Wouldn’t say it was cheap either

binners

We tried Mackie Mayor before the Queens of the Stone Age gig at the Arena last night as we’d heard good things. It didn’t disappoint. Food was absolutely top notch and what a fantastic building. It was absolutely heaving too, yet the service was really good. We ordered a big selection of stuff but the standout was the fried potato skins stuffed with cheese and pesto. I could sit and eat those all night!

Jordan

@binners we were at the QOTSA gig too. Ace wasn’t it!

binners

@jordan – an absolutely top night. First ‘big’ gig in a long time and they were awesome!

mahalo

I thought Dishoom was shite n’all. All talk and no tackle.

somafunk

Ta very much, A mate & her 15yr old son are heading down on Friday for the weekend to see “cigarettes after sex” at the O2 Apollo so will pass this thread onto her for decent food options, 

momo

Just to close this out, sad to say we didn’t take up any of the recommendations! Ended up at Akbars, food was decent and made even better by the secret sauce of someone else picking up the bill!

chakaping

I thought Dishoom was shite n’all. All talk and no tackle.

The lamb biryani is very nice.

Does feel a bit up itself and overpriced though.

We tried Mackie Mayor before the Queens of the Stone Age gig at the Arena last night as we’d heard good things. It didn’t disappoint. Food was absolutely top notch and what a fantastic building.

What did you have? The tacos are excellent.

Jordan

@chakaping if that’s the chefs special lamb biryani, that was the most disappointing thing we tried.

kelvin

“cigarettes after sex”

Good taste! Great music (recorded anyway, I’ve never heard them live).

binners

Great band. Terrible name.

What did you have? The tacos are excellent

@chakaping
    – There’s was a good few of us so we just ordered a selection of all sorts to get stuck in to. The deep fried jacket potato fries with cheese and pesto were on another level

sparkerfix

@binners   Thought I’d make a bit of an update. Thanks for all the suggestions.  Yesterday went into Manchester, did the markets, had a look round d Ryland library then Mackie Mayor, Port Sr. Brew House, Northern Monk. Today a lovely walk along the river to Ramsbottom,  up to Peel Tower, back for a meal and a couple in Eagle &Child, one in the Brown Cow, now toastie in van. So thanks again for the suggestions.  Had a great weekend.   

binners

@sparkerfix – glad you’ve had a great weekend. Sounds like you’ve had the perfect game of two halves. It must have been a perfect day to be up at the tower looking over Manchester. You’ll likely have walked past our house on the way up there. We’re up in Keswick which wasn’t too shabby either

Good choice of venues on both days though. We had our wedding reception in the Eagle & Child. I love the place and the food is always excellent. If you do a return visit in the summer, it was in the Observers list of the top ten beer gardens in the country. It’s a very agreeable place to spend a sunny evening and now ticks the ‘Peak STW’ boxes by having an outdoor pizza oven 😂

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.