Home Forums Chat Forum Where to eat in Manchester?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Where to eat in Manchester?
  • momo

I’m in Manchester for the next two nights (work conference) based out near Old Trafford. Six of us want somewhere to go and eat, ideally reasonably easy to locate and not too expensive (don’t want to overstretch the expenses policy to much!) Everyone loves a good curry but open to ither suggestions.

STW do your thing…..

fossy

Turtle Bay is good for Carribean curry and won’t smash the budget, and it’s central.

woody2000

I suspect you’ll get loads of recommendations, I like Society. Plenty of choice, a pint of vocation, job jobbed 🙂

https://www.societymanchester.com/

binners

If you like Curry then its worth doing the Curry Mile just for the experience.

If you’re at OlD Trafford then you’re down the road from Chorlton and I personally love this place for absolutely top notch Caribbean food. Its got a really nice atmosphere about the place too

The Drop Bar

scaled
    Free Member

I’d get myself up to Habesha at the top of Canal St.  Proper weird little Ethiopean/Ertitrean place above a kebab shop. It’s great eating when you’ve got a few people and can order loads of things and share em all.

http://habesharestaurant.co.uk/

BillMC

Bundobust

Happy Seasons

Rice Bowl

ratherbeintobago

Dishoom?

dashed
    Free Member

Don’t think I ever got a decent curry on Curry Mile in the 7 years I lived in Manchester. An experience it is, just not a culinary one… I’m sure there are exceptions but I generally found it boring and generic.

It’s a few years since I lived there but always really enjoyed curry in Namaste Nepal in West Didsbury.

didnthurt

Another vote for Dishoom.

jeffl

Another vote for Bundobust. Had a nice meal and a couple of beers when stopping over in Manc a couple of months ago. I went to the brewery on Oxford Street.

Coyote
    Free Member

El Rincon de Rafa just off Deansgate. Excellent Spanish cuisine.

tmays
    Free Member

Bundobust!

fossy

Dishoom might blow the ‘budget’

binners

For top notch Indian in the City Centre the Indian Tiffin Room is rather bloody good too.

The tandoori kebabs are awesome!

flyingpotatoes

Corbieres were doing free pizzas for every drink ordered the other week when I went in. Tuesday to Friday.

From 4pm to 7pm. Not sure if the offer is still on though.

edhornby

Tram into town and bundobust – great beer selection as well as very good Indian that isn’t too expensive. 

Salvi’s for Italian

Loads of good options in Chinatown 

Duggan

I was also going to say Bundobust on Oxford Road as it is nice, plus easy to get to on the Metrolink.

Also, Yes bar, North Taproom and Refuge are all 5mins walk away and good for a beer if you were having a pint afterwards. Or, if you just wanted a traditional pub then Grand Central (rock pub), Temple of Convenience (pub that used to be a public toilet) and Peveril of the Peak (traditional boozer always featuring in reccomended pub lists) are all nearby as well. 

binners

If you’re going to the Pev, then nip over the road to the Britons Protection too

fossy

Been meaning to do Bundobust, but echo the same about all the pubs round Oxford Road Station. All good except Temple is shit – just smelly and sweaty, and the beer wasn’t that good.

mrchrispy

all of the above :-)

If you are staying near OT then dont be tempted to tram to media city, its pretty soulless, get into the city and hit bundobust. If you fancy pizza then chorlton has you covered (double zero, rudys, nells at the beagle).

momo

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ve just checked in to chez premiere inn waiting for the rest of the table to drift in now

sparkerfix

Sorry for a bit of a hijack but please Keep em coming. Watching with interest as Boss has informed me we will be in Manchester next weekend. Stopping out at Burrs Bury so tramming it in. Looking for food and beer suggestions. Last time did something Lime. In media city and Northern Monk. IIRC.

stwhannah

How have we got this far and no one has mentioned This N That for curry?

https://thisandthatcafe.co.uk/

jim25

Red Chilli Chinese

http://www.redchillirestaurant.co.uk/index/menu/menu.html?id=5

My father in law took a group of Chinese board of directors that had flown in from China here and they all said it was just the same as the food back home.

I’ve been several times and it’s the best Chinese I’ve ever eaten

rainper
    Free Member

Newly opened at Media City is Kargo MKT with 20 street food traders under one roof.

https://kargomkt.com/food-drink

toby1

Quarterhouse for BBQ

crazy-legs

Just note that the Christmas Markets are on in Manchester now so it’s a lot busier than normal.

binners

@mrchrispy – we did Nells at the Beagle the other week for pizza. Absolutely bloody fantastic!

@sparkerfix
    – I don’t know if you’re around for the full weekend, but if you’re staying at Burrs in Bury there are some great places to eat and drink if you head in the other direction to Ramsbottom and Rawtenstall. You can get the steam train there too.

ElShalimo

Tariff and Dale, PLY, Rudis for pizza

If one of those doesn’t do what you want the you don’t like pizza!

Pubs:

Crown & Kettle

Port St Ale House

Britons Protections

Mulligan’s if you want Guinness

sparkerfix

Thanks for that 👍 There from Thursday night to Sunday afternoon.

binners

@sparkerfix – if you head into Rammy you’ve got the Eagle & Child, Tre Ciccio, Colleens and The Holcombe Tap, amongst others and plenty of places of Drink. In Rawtenstall you’ve got A Vucciria, La Turka And a few others with some decent bars too (Northern Whisper and Casked in Rammy and Rawtenstall). You can do the ale trail on the steam train. The Trackside at the station in Bury is a good boozer

Jordan

Handy thread as we are heading to Manc tomorrow for a night. Loved Dishoom in London a few years ago so it’s probably going to be the one but Bundobust in Leeds has always been a faourite as well. Hmm decisions… no it’ll have to be Dishoom as we might not have the chance again for some time.

136stu
    Free Member

We like Evuna on Deansgate for a paella or tapas.

BillMC

Smithfield Market Tavern

Port St

Northern Monk (walk between all three)

Marble Hall (bit far out)

Bundos does quite good beer

funkhouser
    Free Member

i like Kongs Kitchen, nothing fancy but bottemless tacos on a tuesday, unlimited wings on wednesday. probably have other offers on other days…?

also i have been dying to try Onda pasta bar… https://www.ondapastabar.com/

if its definitely curry you’re after, you really wanna head for Rusholme.

nickc

If you get bored of curry, then there’s Chorlton High Street about a 15 mins walk from Old Trafford

Croma does good faux-Italian, and pretty nice pizzas, there’s also Rudy for very good trad Neapolitan pizza. Saray does good Turkish/Mediterranean, and Zaytooon for Lebanese. 

thecaptain
    Free Member

Double zero for pizza, Chorlton. My go-to place the night before Manchester marathon!

slackboy

* vietnamese – I am Pho on George Street or Pho Cue just around the corner

* Curry – Dishoom is great, I also like Mowgli in Corn Exchange

* Exhibition – great (amazing) tapas from Baraxturi as well Sud Pasta kitchen and Osmo. Its an upmarket food court – think trendy bar with 3 kitchens

* Sud Pasta over in Ancoats , for the main restaurant

* El Gato Negro or Tast on King street for more *fancy* tapas

slackboy

binnersFull Member@sparkerfix – if you head into Rammy you’ve got the Eagle & Child, Tre Ciccio, Colleens and The Holcombe Tap, amongst others and plenty of places of Drink. In Rawtenstall you’ve got A Vucciria, La Turka And a few others with some decent bars too (Northern Whisper and Casked in Rammy and Rawtenstall). You can do the ale trail on the steam train. The Trackside at the station in Bury is a good boozer

Don’t forget Pizzamans at Rawtenstall Bus Station  – easily the best pizza in the area, possibly the whole northwest of england

Jordan

Update, Dishoom last night was a big disappointment to OH and myself. Having only previously been to Dishoom in Shoreditch which we enjoyed very much. We had a couple of dishes we had had before and a couple of new to us ones. The ones we had before didn’t taste the same at all and the new ones were just a bit bland.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.