Home Forums Chat Forum When did you last write a cheque?

• This topic has 53 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by pondo.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • When did you last write a cheque?
  • monkeyboyjc

Today…

I get also payment by cheque around 6 times a week.

somafunk

Probably sometime in the mid 90’s, a 5 check monthly payment for a Kona Cindercone (last of the steel frames) for my GF, she’s still got the bike but just a good mate these days

IHN

Oh, I get this. They wrote to me asking for my annual £2 fee, using a 68p stamp. I’ve ignored it. I’m hoping they’re going to write to me twice more, at which point I’ll suggest that it’s in their best financial interests to stop mithering me and pay it on my behalf.

I’d be careful with this, as it may very well affect your credit record, and ultimately you could end up with a CCJ. Trivial amount or not, it’s an amount you legally owe.

Flaperon

Never written one in my life.

halifaxpete

Write a yearly one for he accountants, still get the odd one from HMRC or customers (Usually old dears who dont do smart phones/online banking)

scotroutes

Fun Fact: You can write a cheque on anything you want.

During the protests against the Torness nuclear power station, someone paid their fine on a coffin. It had to come into the data centre to be recorded and a replacement slip of paper went through the clearing system.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Seeing a lot of DVLA related cheques. The only way to pay DVLA For trade plates is by cheque. No online application, fill in paperwork, attach cheque, send by post. Wait 4 weeks. It’s archaic!
    To answer the op, December.

Clover

France loves cheques. When we got our French account before we moved, we were offered a cheque book. We were puzzled. When would we ever use it? We thought. We may have chucked out a few dusty, unused chequebooks as we packed. So we did not tick the box. Naive idiots. We’ve had to enter into weird reverse manoeuvres – instead of cashing cheques we had give friends cash so they can write cheques…

We have now crawled back to the bank to admit the error of our ways. Can’t wait for the cheque book to arrive.

Camp Bastion, 2012. The US cash machine was broken, so had to rely on our stoneage method to get cash. That’s all I’ve ever used a chequebook for; cash withdrawals when deployed.

butcher

Last time I used mine was probably for an audax. Quite fitting for a past time that involves sandals and Carradice saddle bags.

Cougar

I’d be careful with this, as it may very well affect your credit record, and ultimately you could end up with a CCJ. Trivial amount or not, it’s an amount you legally owe.

Oh, sure.

But I’m not refusing to pay. Rather, I’m testing how the process works. Equally I’d be happy to go “can I give you twenty quid and you’ll piss off for a decade?” The pettiness irritates me and the absurdness amuses me.

Ambrose

On a tangent. I went to write the date recently and started 19… paused, realised my mistake and then started again.

CountZero

The only way to pay DVLA For trade plates is by cheque.

Didn’t know that. I had a set issued to me when I was plating for BCA, which I had to return when agency drivers were dropped, then when I started working for SFS in Westbury, because we often had to take cars onto public roads for various reasons, we logistics drivers were each given a pair of plates: after four years, I was the only driver who still had his own matched pair*. People had a habit of accidentally leaving a plate in a car then a car might be sent to auction with a plate still inside. The site officially closed last Friday; I think there were still half a dozen odd plates left behind by delivery drivers that nobody ever came back for. We did get several new sets of plates, but I had no idea a cheque was required, that explains why it took so long to get new ones.

*I used to put them in my bag and take them home, otherwise people on the opposite shift who mislaid there’s would help themselves to someone else’s, then lose one of those. A source of perpetual frustration.

Oh, and the last time I wrote a cheque has to be over twenty years ago, if not longer – I think I’ve still got a part-used chequebook in a drawer upstairs somewhere.

pondo

Lloyds (rightly) decided I wasn’t responsible enough back in the nineties.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.