Home Forums Chat Forum When brands become unwearable

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)
  • When brands become unwearable
    CountZero

North face is for the “roadmen”

Frankly, so what? I have a NF fleece, a Nuptse jacket and a Nuptse gilet. The fleece was bought sometime in the early 80’s, the other two some time in the early 90’s, with my share of a work lottery win. Just because all the Gen Zeds have latched onto it, doesn’t mean I’m going to stop wearing it. Having said that, it rarely gets cold enough to wear it anyway. If I wear any down items they’re either from Jottnar, Uniqlo or Decathlon.

Arc’teryx was always much too expensive, although they do have a cool logo.

Merak

Santa?

failedengineer

I would have thought that Boss, Polo, Armani, Hilfiger etc have always been unwearable and poor taste.  The outdoor ones (with the possible exception of North Face) are good kit when worn for their intended purpose.

sc-xc

do you have to pay extra for a seat facing away from the pitch

If it stopped me watching this shit, I’d happily pay to look at the ugly bastards behind me!

nasty cold sore there

😂 

yosemitepaul

About 20 years ago, whilst on holiday in Canada, I bought a bright red down jacket, that was advertised as being used for Polar expeditions and used by ground workers at remote Canadian airports. Bloody hell my Canada Goose was good, warm for Canada, brilliant for over here.
    Unusual too. Rarely saw another in the UK.
    Jacket is still perfectly serviceable, and still looks ruggedly good, but I don’t dare wear it now. I’d either get robbed of it by one sector of society, the other would cover me in paint!!!
    A couple of years ago I had to buy another warm jacket whilst the CG sits unused in the cupboard

Houns

CZ don’t fret I have some 20+ year old  NorthFace stuff too that’s worn almost daily 

Anyone want a couple of keys?

frankconway

Did you point out to the lager boys that their tops were pretty good for counterfeits?

scuttler

Original Nuptse from SF outlet store in 1998. My kids think I’m well cool.

jam-bo

If I wear any down items they’re either from Jottnar, Uniqlo or Decathlon.

Arc’teryx was always much too expensive, although they do have a cool logo.

i love the fact you always mention jottnar and in the next sentence claim Arcteryx is too expensive. 

squirrelking
    Free Member

Like this is a new thing.

Never worn Helly Hansen for exactly this reason, the Buckfast brigade put me right off. Which is stupid really because it’s been 20odd years since that was even a thing.

Houns

Having been at the Kendal Mountain Festival last weekend, and seeing the mountain rescue stuff, I’ve been looking at HH stuff, I need a new waterproof hardshell 

mmannerr

Anything expensive will be picked by some shady group.  I recall that already 30 years ago some gentlemen in herbal delivery business were using TNF down jackets.

robertajobb

Best not affect Rohan. 

My best 2 pairs of 18 year old baggie shorts are Rohan, i’m in shorts for 9 months of tje year, and I’m not planning on changing them for anything new before the rest of this decade is complete, at the earliest.

ditch_jockey

ThruDark must the current ultimate in wankerwear surely?

Berghaus suffered badly with this in Scotland back in the late 80s and 90s – the Mera Peak was the jacket of choice for the discerning ned.

Poopscoop

I feel pretty posh if I’m wearing any own brand Decathlon stuff, a little smug too as “it just works”.

If you know, you know.

colournoise

As long as they all stay away from Kuhl and Dickies I’ll be fine…

sc-xc

As long as they all stay away from Kuhl and Dickies I’ll be fine…

😂 I hate to say it but the jacket I was wearing up the football today was Kuhl

BillMC

It’s Fred Perry, lager belly and nearly-but-not-quite Northampton brogues: Dad Lads!

jonnyboi

The problem is that they’re just too comfortable.

eventually*

*may involve several years of blisters 

winston
    Free Member

Be careful, In the US Kuhl jackets are almost always paired  with a MAGA baseball cap…it’s the label of choice for the red neck trump supporter…

colournoise

winston
    Be careful, In the US Kuhl jackets are almost always paired with a MAGA baseball cap…it’s the label of choice for the red neck trump supporter…

Am disappointed now to say the least. Hopefully that won’t travel well…

(I am however, as close to a redneck as the UK has – grew up in The Fens – so I guess I’m staying true to my heritage)

somafunk

Never heard of ThruDark clothing so had a look, seems ideal for the likes of those cosplaying proud boy goons

doris5000
    Free Member

S’funny, in my world, Arcteryx is what overly serious Autechre fans wear to gigs where they drink IPA and discuss why techno used to be great but now it’s shit

will be a while before Alpkit, Craghoppers and Clarks get trendy

Clarks have been trendy for a long time! I give you: one of the biggest Dancehall tunes of the century so far

Poopscoop

Too much?

(Made in Mexico.)

frankconway

Clarks?
    Great for children shoes – and that’s all.

stingmered

And when you’ve stopped poncing around with the pauper brands you can move onto ThruDark.

and when you’ve stopped slumming it here, you’ll ‘upgrade’ to SnowPeak. It’s only a matter of time before the football/chav crowd get their hooks into that.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

it was just a grey tshirt with some outlines of tanks on it

Nice. Pressurised cold are my favourite.

do I have to bum my wardrobe?

What you do with your wardrobe in the privacy of your own home…

#kerning

nickc

Whenever I see folks wearing outdoor gear on the high street I mostly want to ask them if they’ll swap. It’ll work for both of us, they’ll look like they wear it for the intended purpose and I’ll get shiny new looking  kit 😃

Marin
    Free Member

Still happily wear black and yellow Fred Perry and DM’s. But then equally as happy to tell any person in the pub who wants to moan about their favourite right wing issues to me that they are in fact incorrect.

sc-xc

Still happily wear black and yellow Fred Perry and DM’s

This as well. I have a pile of Fred Perry polos, including 4 classic black/yellow. Still a staple in the punk scene, look good with cherry red DMs.

I do wear a SHARP badge on my parka or Harrington though…

MoreCashThanDash

(I am however, as close to a redneck as the UK has – grew up in The Fens – so I guess I’m staying true to my heritage)

High six my fellow Fen slogger!

rOcKeTdOg

I do wear a SHARP badge on my parka or Harrington though…

Can you still get proper Harrington’s? My last one was bought from Nelson house in Brum in around 1979 along with some sta-press farrahs

theotherjonv

it’s just we’re skinheads by accident rather than a hairstyle nowadays…..

grahamt1980

High six my fellow Fen slogger!

Same here, we must all be related

vd

Used to cycle with a stick-thin chap who wore Rapha head to foot, but swore never again once he realised that they had expanded their range into plus sizes for the more upholstered gentleman (like me). Apparently ‘biffa’s’ were very off-brand.

iainc

Harrington ?
    yep, I have one of these :
    https://frahmjacket.com/products/harrington-racer-jacket

greyspoke
    Free Member

goldie lookin chav machine

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Do I need to bum my wardrobe??

Whatever you want to do with your furniture in the privacy of your own home is your business…

vondally

Finisterre because of Dominic Cummings.

matt_outandabout

Meh.

1994 and Berghaus was all the rage.

I own and wear a lot of Berghaus, and don’t see it ‘on the street’ as much.

Full circle?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.