Home Forums Chat Forum what’s your budget quesion…?

• This topic has 17 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by ton.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • what’s your budget quesion…?
  • DT78
    Free Member

how do you deal with this quesiton when talking to trades for work?

i have a garden project that i need costing, having never done much in a garden i have very little clue about the cost of patios / fencing etc…

i can look up material prices and estiamte that element within reason

i dread when trades price check with the whats your budget quesiton and how to answer. i do not like to give an answer as in previous experience the quote that comes back has alway been at the budget plus a bit more, and it feels like they are trying it on.

that was builders quotes where i had a variation of 50k on a fairly detailed plan and spec.

my budget is as little as i can spend for a decent non bodged looks good job. i do not like paying anyone to do a job worse than i can diy

Im expecting the quotes to be ruinous so will probably end up doing as much of it as i can myself

jamesy01
    Free Member

Be upfront about your budget. You’ll soon find out if it’s realistic by the contractors reaction.

The amount of time I’ve wasted over the years pricing jobs only for the client to say “we can’t afford that, our Architect told us £X” is incredible.

Also if you get the right outfit and they are invested in your works they’ll work with you not against you.

timba
    Free Member

Turn the question back, “Where do you think we are?

sillysilly
    Free Member

I’ve always thought it’s stupid. Just quote a range on first meet and say the lower end is a bodge, the upper it legit, is this what you’re expecting? If not, don’t waste time on quote.

demonracer

I frequently ask customers for their budget when pricing a job as it allows me to guide them towards materials and an overall finish they will be happy with rather than quoting for a job using premium products that they don’t want or need which will come in over their budget. I will always try and give three options, one below one on and one slightly above budget and explain the pros and cons of all.

I don’t work in the building or landscaping trades but have always assumed a good tradesman will work in a similar way.

If asked the question I would give my maximum budget but also state a budget which I think might be realistic. For example I could go up to £5000 for the work but would ideally not go over £3000.

allyharp

I’d always just say it’s the first quote you’ve had so you’ve no idea what an appropriate price is.  And be clear that you’ll be getting other quotes, which should hopefully encourage some competitiveness.

I’ve only got experience of small, well-contained jobs though.  A massive extension project with multiple trades is going to take a lot more effort to price up.  So it may be commonplace to offer some indicative budget.

bikesandboots

As a simple question I think you’re right to be cautious, it’s just “how much” + “well how much money do you have”.

Some sensible approaches mentioned above. I think the conversation that follows this question, whether you answer or turn it back on them, will tell you a lot to help inform your choice of supplier.

Kryton57

For example I could go up to £5000 for the work but would ideally not go over £3000.

I wouldn’t do that, your quote will likely be £5000.

Always have 20% in your back pocket for emergencies but don’t reveal that and be honest with your original budget.  An honest company will tell you what’s possible within that price.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If you’re suspicious of a tradesman’s pricing, are you not also suspicious of the workmanship?

myti
    Free Member

It’s a normal question in the garden design and build world and not about screwing you over but about not wasting either of yours time because a lot of people can have unrealistic expectations of cost due to garden make over shows. Also what you spend on plants is a how long is a piece of string question. Instant impact or happy to wait years for stuff to grow. It could be a test question about whether they will want to put time into doing a design for you or whether a more basic trades person would be more suited to your job.

intheborders
    Free Member

Most budgets are unrealistic, whether that’s you doing your garden or the Govt building a railway, stuff always gets missed AND folk assume best-case scenario.

Example, the Minimum/Living Wage went up by 10% this month, how many folk wanting basic work done have added an equivalent percentage to the labour cost element of the job they want doing?

When you priced up the cost of materials, did you price in a risk-element of the customer not paying for the job?  We always offer to buy materials, on our account and have them delivered to us – this takes away one of the Trades risks, plus gives them more confidence in us both paying and that the materials are our choice (on their recommendations obviously).

A note though, even with the above we recently got fencing quotes and all have been way above what we were expecting, and have paid previously.

IHN

I’ve always thought it’s stupid. Just quote a range on first meet and say the lower end is a bodge, the upper it legit, is this what you’re expecting? If not, don’t waste time on quote.

This. It can’t be that hard, can it, to say “I’ll have to work out a detailed costing if you want to go ahead, but it’ll be a minimum of £4k with cheap fittings, for better quality stuff it’s more like £6k, if you go top end it’s going to be upwards of £8k. Does that fit with your budget?”.

DT78
    Free Member

I am very wary because I have been fleeced by a plumber, and to be honest once the work is done there is really not much you can do unless you are prepared for a huge amount of angst whilst you try to argue the toss about being overcharged.  So I’d like a quote up front, fixed price and not priced to my hypothetical poorly educated budget, I’d like it priced to the spec that has been laid out

As for risk of buying materials and customer not paying, you can just return them, yes a ball ache but you won’t be thousands out of pocket, if your in the trade you will have an account with the merchant and have used them many times so should have a good relationship.  For standard stuff like cement etc… you could even use it on the next job. Of course not always the case if its something bespoke or particularly fancy

Previous jobs I’ve ordered in the main materials myself, and for other stuff the builder just passed me the invoice and told me to phone the merchant and pay.  I was happy to do this as I could see he was charging me what it costs, not what is costs + whatever margin he thinks he can get away with (as in the case of the plumber who charged approx triple retail and then vat)

I also have a whole heap of stuff to do, so if I can bring the patio / fencing in for within the money we have set aside. I can use it towards other stuff, like the drive or the gates.  So rather than a budget for a specific job, its what we can afford to spend on improvements this year, of which I have an endless list!

I think I’ll try the switcheroo approach of asking how long it would take, and what their day rates are to give me a ball park.  If I talk to three or four I should be able to get the gist of who is trying to take the mick.

Maybe I have just been really unlucky with chancers.

the-muffin-man

Have you got any pics of the area and a rough sketch of what you have in mind? I’m sure there’s a few on here who’ve had work done and could tell you if you’re talking a few grand or tens of thousands.

Or you could say…

“I’ve never had anything like this done before so I’m just costing things out. If it’s going to be £10k area I’d have to reconsider or scale back, £5k is closer to where I am”.

Whatever your budget really is come at least 25% under it when talking prices.

And if it’s hard land-scaping rather than garden design a builder may be more cost effective as there’s no up-sell for them with plants, trees etc.

Olly
    Free Member

my inlaws went into howdens kitchens with a budget of £5k, and got a £2k kitchen for £5k

Absoloutly fleeced.

fortunatly/unfortunatly, they can ususally tell who is on the ball and who can be taken for a ride from the get go.

A good approach is to go in appearing to know very little, but having done enough research. The ones who are trying to fiddle you are easily spotted then.

Also, dont be wowed by a low low estimate, as its an estimate and will either end up costing “more than they expected” and of course any of the other quotes, or be crap.

mjsmke

I just say a very low budget. Knowing if i say a budget thats much higher than the quote in their head, they’ll just increase their price.

Some people use to say “how much do you want to spend?”

Well, nothing. I dont want to spend anything. But that doesnt help so just give me the quote.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Most my customers opening line is I don’t have much money, but I would like..always cracks me up.

Sometimes I give them a choice…price or day rate….most want the price.

The thing is a customer can spend all day on a pc looking for the best price for stuff…we don’t have that luxury….and normally stick to the trade outlets .

Best advice I can give you is go for someone that’s been recommended…word of mouth beats , fancy advertising and attractive prices

ton

i am firmly in the ‘ give me a price please’ mindset.

which i then either accept of say no thank you.

and once agreed that is it.  also i never pay upfront. a good business would not ask for money upfront.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.