Home Forums Bike Forum What’s like a Spesh Slaughter Grid…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What’s like a Spesh Slaughter Grid…
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

…but doesn’t have a casing made out of tissue paper?

I’ve been using these as a summer rear tyre for 4 or 5 years now. The first few seemed bombproof – fast rolling but grippy in the corners when cranked over, and the Grid casing seemed impervious to peaks rocks – especially compared to a Maxxis Exo.

However the one I’ve currently got on is shocking for pinch flats – its only been on since mid July and I must have the best part of 20 plugs in it. Its driving me potty. 30psi (which is about as hard as I want to go for ride feel), and I’m 10 stone. I even managed to flat on Lady Canning’s the other day!!

27.5 x 2.3ish. Going on a XC/traily hardtail. I don’t really want to go down the insert route if I can avoid it.

Minion SS is the obvious choice, but I used to think of the Maxxis Exo casing as being a little more fragile than the Spesh Grid. Don’t think that holds true now, though…

Thanks!

Yak

Grid Trail is better.
    not in your size though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rock Razor, superb tyre.

chakaping

Easy, you want the Rock Razor in supergravity carcass.

joebristol

I’ve been running slaughter one the summer this year in my trail bike. 27.5×2.6 in grid format (was £12 in the sale which was too tempting not to try it). I saw the weight of it (bit light) so I ran it with a Rimpact in there. 30mm rim and generally between 22-25 psi at about 12 stone in weight. General trail riding with a bit of off piste. Didn’t flat it once – was really impressed. I think I’m fairly light on tyres though as I’ve never flatted a tubeless tyre.

It’s not quite as fast rolling but I like the Maxxis Forekaster – also in 27.5×2.6” – again that’s light so I run it with a Rimpact. That’s on a hardtail that I’ve bashed down Cwmcarn marked red trails a few times plus general off piste rooty stuff.

Northwind

Rockrazor is the best of all the semislicks I’ve tried, so it’d be more or less about finding the right carcass for you.

For me, that’s the previous version of the Supergravity, which is one of the best tyres I’ve ever used full stop. But for me there’s not a tyre in the current range that ticks the same boxes, I had puncture issues with supertrail, it’s nothing like as tough for me (good sidewalls, weak middle), and the new supergravity is a fair bit chunkier than the old. So if I had to choose a tyre from teh current range I’d have to go supergravity and just deal with the extra weight, I still think it’d be a better compromise than other options, because the rockrazor’s just that damn good.

But as it is, the old version is a perfect goldilocks tyre for me- sensible weight, more than tough enough, so I have 2 in a box :)

transporter13
    Free Member

Really wished they made a slaughter in a black diamond casing and in a 2.4/5 size.
    As it is, I’ve been using a 29×2.3 vittoria martello tnt casing which whilst not being quite as fast rolling.. Has proven to be decent in most conditions and tough too.

tall_martin

<b>M</b>y hardtail has a slaughter grid in the summer and is fine.

My full suss had had a wtb riddler on the back for the last 3 summers. It’s worn out now but has only had a one puncture in 3 years.

It’s the tough version.

I have a slaughter to replace it with, I’m worried now 😱

pothead
    Free Member

Easy, you want the Rock Razor in supergravity carcass.

200% this ^^^^^^^^

andyrm
    Free Member

Either a Kenda Helldiver Pro AGC casing or WTB Trail Boss in Tough/Fast casing.

Either if these are a good bet, but as others have said, would be great to see a Slaughter BLK DMND 👍

teethgrinder

Slaughter grid 2.6 = pure shite

Glad I only wasted £12 on it. Pressure high enough for it to not fold over and it pinged off roots and rocks. Low enough to not ping and it folds and pinch flats.

joebristol

I haven’t had the same issue with the slaughter grid 2.6” tbh. Maybe it’s quite terrain specific? I’ve ridden it on trail centres and natural rooty sort of stuff. Nothing wildly rocky. It was certainly better than the 2.4” dissector I tried in similar conditions – I found that had a real lack of forward drive up steeper stuff / technical climbs.

chiefgrooveguru

I put some Rimpact inserts in my Grid Gripton tyres (2.6 Hillbilly, 2.6 Butcher, 2.3 Eliminator). The inserts turned them from really not that great (bouncy or squirmy) to remarkably grippy for how fast they roll and how long they last.

I think inserts on the back of a hardtail being ridden anywhere rocky are a no-brainer. I run them front and back on both bikes and the lower pressures i can run in winter means I don’t both with mud tyres.

dc1988

I’m running a 29er Slaughter Grid 2.3″ and it’s been surprisingly amazing for me, so much so that I ran it all through last winter. I do have a Nukerproof ARD insert in it which perhaps helps

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I used 2.3 slaughter grids for a few years on the back of the Bronson, decent tyre. I am neither lightweight nor finessed.

russyh
    Free Member

I have a very lightly used super gravity rock razor, I bought and used for Ard Rock about 3 years ago and one other event. If your near Gloucestershire you can have it for a £10

Northwind

^^^ Get that. Assuming it’s the right size anyway!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What’s like a Spesh Slaughter Grid…’ is closed to new replies.