Home Forums Chat Forum What’s better than Premium Bonds?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What’s better than Premium Bonds?
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Ok, so i know they’re a lottery etc, but according to a calculator on MSE, I’m in the bottom 0.2% of (un)lucky punters when it comes to winnings through Premium Bonds.

The money in there is waiting to be spent on some building work, so I want quick, easy access and management (as I don’t know when the building work will take place – i.e. i don’t want to tie in to a 6-12 month term), and preferably more than £0 back on my money over a similar period of time…

any suggestions?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Crack. As prop Joe says “buy for a dollar sell for two”.

scaredypants

Sex

unless you win more than £25, obvz

CraigW
    Free Member

Should be able to get an instant access savings account or ISA giving 1.4% or so. Will probably give you more than Premium Bonds anyway. Moneysavingexpert have a list, looks like the best rate is currently Marcus. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/

Also some banks have regular saver account, up to 5% interest. Usually limited to paying in a few hundred a month, but over a year it could add up. And still instant access. I’ve got one from Nationwide (needs a current account with them).

kerley
    Free Member

All depends how much of a dreamer you are. I put my money in premium bonds as getting 2% interest is not going to really change my life whereas a win of a few 100k will (even if that is very unlikely)

dc2.0

How long has the money been in premium bonds? It can take a while for money to actually turn into bonds that are actively in the monthly draw. There’s a full calendar month wait so money paid in early Jan wouldn’t be in the draw until March. If you’ve not been in long, factor that into your effective interest rate. I haven’t got any at the moment but was maxed out for a while and earning 1.6% on them. Not great but with a tiny hope each month of a windfall 😃

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Thanks all. A regular paying in account might be a bit of a pain – I’m not the best at remembering to do regular things financially – just do it as I remember. Will look at some instant access stuff…
    Money been in long enough to have missed a few draws :(

finephilly
    Free Member

peer to peer lending is better in my opinion. 4-6% return and although there’s no protection on your investment, just start with £20.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ultimate Bond

nickjb
    Free Member

peer to peer lending is better in my opinion. 4-6% return and although there’s no protection on your investment, just start with £20.

Not a great solution for money you want to access. I’m just getting out now after being pretty disappointed with the returns and its a slow, unpredictable process.

juanking

Marcus account @1.5% best instant/easy access account out there.

DezB
    Free Member

Bitcoin?

CraigW
    Free Member

Thanks all. A regular paying in account might be a bit of a pain – I’m not the best at remembering to do regular things financially – just do it as I remember. Will look at some instant access stuff…

You can setup an regular payment (standing order) in your online banking, to automatically transfer the money on the 1st of the month. So you donn’t need to remember anything.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What’s better than Premium Bonds?’ is closed to new replies.