Home Forums Bike Forum What unfashionable road wheels do I want?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • What unfashionable road wheels do I want?
  • endoverend

If you want maximum aero performance (not a concern for everyone) tyre width should ideally closely track rim width, ie: a gp5000 25 sits perfectly on a 25-26mm external rim, giving a smooth transition. You can fit a 28c tyre on a 25mm external rim, but you’ll effectively nullify some of the aero gains of a deeper rim section, as well as risking a bit of sidewall flop at low pressure. Matching a 28c tyre to a rim with 28mm external dimensions would be right at the limit of what some brands were toying with on rim width before the switch to disc allowed them to go even wider still….

26mm external rim width was perfectly normal for a while but a few brands were doing 28/29mm external but it really starts to push it. But if you can squeeze that in the frame then a 28c tyre on a 28 external rim width would give most of the benefits that the disc revolution has brought to ride comfort.

oldenough
    Free Member

I believe Ksyrium Exalith to be the best aluminium road wheels ever made.

Of which I have a pair not being used at the moment.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’d hope a 2019 bike would take 28c, but brands actual sizes vary quite a bit.

The problem was that rim brakes were sized in an era where 25c was a big tyre. You physically can’t fit a 28c* between the rim and the caliper irrespective of the frame unless it was running long drop brakes. It’s the unsung benefit of disks on road bikes that it allowed modern tyres to be a thing at all.

*just checked, the last rim braked shimano groupsets filed this out to 28c, I’ve got 7800’s and they a little polished mark where the flashing off the Schwalbe 25c’s rubbed, albeit those 25C’s actually measured 27.a bit, you could squeeze a 28c in there if the rim was perfectly straight and the tyre was exactly true to size.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

Mavic’s are nice until they go wrong in my experience. Parts are expensive to replace and they had nipples seize in both my pairs which two different LBSs told me was super common.

I bought a pair of DCR vivaldi last year which are pretty wide rims and nice and stiff <1500g, £300. Very happy with them although never really owned super expensive wheelsets. They use Kinlin rims though which someone above mentioned being a bit soft/non durable. Also no wear indicators on them.

Signature Wheelsets

13thfloormonk

They use Kinlin rims though which someone above mentioned being a bit soft/non durable.

Yeah, somehow irreparably dinged my front rim without even feeling it or puncturing the tyre. Will be running inserts from now on 😭

wheelsonfire1

So, @dogbone what was your original question?!!

dogbone

I’m still trying to understand what half of the comments above mean.

The wheels will be for my road bike in Spain (well Basque Country). It’s an Orbed Avant and now I’ve resprayed it the white Superstar wheels look a bit strange. They have lasted well and are lightish.

My favourite local road soon to be used for the Tour..

https://goo.gl/maps/4GLWkDPWkWSQ6hsP8

susepic

Anyone have experience w Mavic Cosmic Elite USTs?

My lad has just bought a pair going cheap on Merlin, and wondering what tyres are a good match.

He should have looked at this thread first of course….

Thanks

kerley
    Free Member

Anyone have experience w Mavic Cosmic Elite USTs?

I had some for a year and like them. I had them on a CX bike and used in all weathers and they held up well. I completely bent one of the rims when installing a VERY tight tubeless tyre and even managed to get a replacement rim from BikeInn for £50.
    They felt fast to ride even though they are not particularly aero or light but for the £199 I paid they were very good.

onehundredthidiot

I’ve got a pair of the exalith mavics. Pricey when I bought them. Mine are metal front spokes and half the rear are carbon. Great wheels. Think I’ll be selling them this year as the road bike is sitting on cheap wheels on the turbo.

wheelsonfire1

More tangents than a clementine on this thread!
    I was under the impression that the original question was asking advice about budget to mid range wheelsets?
    My Shimano recommendation still stands, readily available spares and you don’t have to buy a whole wheel of spokes if one breaks.
    Hope this helps OP!!

susepic

Thanks @kerley, I’d read about the challenge of getting tyres on elsewhere.

Reading around it seems Hutchinson might be the best bet, used to produce the Yksion for Mavic.

endoverend

The thing is, with rim braked wheels now being apparently just for heritage restomod builds (tongue in cheek, as a disc denier) – it is possible to get some amazing deals on great wheels in the sales if you shop around… I got some Fulcrums at near half rrp this winter purposefully so that I can keep my rim braked bike going as long as possible. At that time I saw Shamal’s/ Zonda’s massively reduced, so if you shop wisely you might just net some of the last generation of top rim wheels, which also just happen to be some of the best ever made… so should keep you going for a long while. At the time I was looking CRC had some Mavic’s at near 40%+ off, but its probably a question of timing… In a few years time it may get hard to find stock of good road rim braked wheels so get them while they’re hot.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a barely used set of 1500gm XLR8 rims just needing a spoke tightened up

t3ap0t
    Free Member

They use Kinlin rims though which someone above mentioned being a bit soft/non durable. Also no wear indicators on them.

Well this turned out to be true. 2 years and ~3500km on the wheels I’ve managed to ding the rear rim without getting a puncture. The rear rim had already gone a little bit concave. Looking at £50 for the same rims again plus £40 for LBS re-rim labour, or a different rim would need new spokes too. Also discovered my bearings need replacing – I don’t own drifts or presses so would probably just LBS that too, meaning I’m looking at about £120-130 to get the wheel back into good nick and then possibly another £90 to replace the rim in 2 years time. The Aksiums these wheels replaced I had for 8 years, more kms and were still in good enough nick to sell 2nd hand with a good conscience.

Don’t like to bin things but considering just getting a 105 hub / DT Swiss R460 wheel for ~£130 and then hopefully will save money on future service as can do cup&cone myself and the rims should last longer.

Suppose I should have done a bit more homework on the rims before I bought and not chased light wheels at mid price range.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.