Home Forums Bike Forum What to pack in pocketses – road tools & spares?

• This topic has 51 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by twisty.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • What to pack in pocketses – road tools & spares?
  • tjagain

Yes, it means multiple seatpacks/multi-tools etc – one for each bike.

Ihave one seatpack – but the fitment for it on 3 bikes. Just swap the seatpack between bikes

imnotverygood

. You can reduce your chances of needing to call in help, but in over 40,000km I’ve not had to make the call despite carrying nothing

Erm…… You’ve not had a puncture in 40,000 km? 🤨

scotroutes

Thinking about it, I’ve had one puncture since moving to Aviemore. That’s 10 years and over 40,000 km.

tjagain

When running tubeless I have had two punctures in a decade or more ( that I know of) and both sealed without any intervention.  One I had to pump it up a bit

BIg bike ride was running tubes.  3 punctures in 3000 miles

imnotverygood

Thinking about it, I’ve had one puncture since moving to Aviemore. That’s 10 years and over 40,000 km.

Jeepers. I think I’ll move up there with you. How many did you used to get in Edinburgh? I reckon about 1 per 2000 miles if I’m lucky, that’s about 4 a year.

scotroutes

More in Edinburgh – mostly road, as I was commuting in all weathers and would pick up bits of glass etc. Maybe a couple a year. I wasn’t running tubeless then either.

Sandwich

Pump on frame, everything else in the camelchops bar bag. Litter from the food/gels goes in the pocketses as I consume it.

anagallis_arvensis

Road ride today…cable for front mech snapped about 35km from home…didn’t have a spare cable 😆😆😆😄

whyterider93
    Free Member

Topeak ninja pump in seatpost, co2 cartridge and tyre lever co2 combi thing, small multi tool, butyl tube in rapha pocket bag thing. Also for wolf tooth encase in bars for anything more in depth. Don’t like stuff on the bike.

How do you stop the pump rattling/falling right to the bottom of the frame and getting stuck in the seat post?

tjagain

Jeepers. I think I’ll move up there with you. How many did you used to get in Edinburgh?

commutting in Edinburgh I got one in 10 000ish miles.  tubed tyre but conti protection tyres.  I used to pull a dozen bits of glass out of them a year tho

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Pocketses- spare bottle, banana, phone. house key. Depending on the weather, skull cap, warm gloves, arm and leg warmers, gilet, rain jacket.

banana skin goes in a bottle once its been drunk.

Saddle bag, spare tube, chain link, multi tool with chain splitter, tyre levers, disposable vinyl gloves to keep hands clean if the chain needs repaired. Although since switching to  awaxed chain I’m not sure those are needed.

full size pump mounted under a bottle cage.

twisty
    Free Member

So I’ve found that by changing the tube to a TPU one and my multitool to a Ninja this knocks off 140g/40% of the weight.
    Somewhat weightweeniest – but it does make it an easier package of stuff to put into a pocket or small frame back without being inconviently bulky.
    Now all this stuff fits into a small top tube bag behind my stem. Part of the motivation was deciding I need to carry spares on longer TTs after an unpleasant walk after puncturing on a 50 miler.
    Only time will tell whether the tube or tool will actually work for me when I need them :)

Ride tools and spares

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.