Home Forums Chat Forum What to do first? New kitchen/complete house rewire.

• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by IA.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What to do first? New kitchen/complete house rewire.
  • plop-pants
    Free Member

what would the best order of things? Son wants to get a new kitchen fitted with new tiling too. The electrics are pretty sub standard throughout the place. Really not sure whether to get the kitchen fitted out and then do the electrics risking chasing through new tiles, or get the electrics done trying to make sure the kitchen electrics are correctly placed for the kitchen units. Hmmmmmm…
    Ps I ain’t doing it, leaving it all to professionals.

djflexure

Rewire – no point refitting kitchen first, may also need specific specs if they want to run induction hob.

el_boufador

Rewire, definitely

tall_martin

+1 on rewire first.

Maybe plan kitchen for spec on cooker but also for where you want the sockets/ under cabinet lights

muddyjames
    Free Member

The kitchen could be on its own circuit and hob and oven would be separate anyway so you could rewire kitchen as part of kitchen install. if you’re moving any appliances or adding sockets or Spurs you’d need to do a fair chunk of this anyway plus you’d likely be making a mess anyway. Rest of house Re wire done separately.

djflexure

That’s exactly what we did – the consumer unit had already been sorted as we dealt with that and the rest of the house first

trail_rat
    Free Member

I did rewire and left kitchen 6 years ago

Kitchen fitted yesterday with a kitchen rewire.

jodafett

As the electrician who rewired our house said “Rewiring a house is the messiest job there is”. We’ve just built an extension and it was less upheaval than the rewiring was!

nickdavies

Rewire first, but have the kitchen planned first so you know where all the electrics etc need to go.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Re wire first, at least then you might have a house to put a kitchen in

trail_rat
    Free Member

but have the kitchen planned first so you know where all the electrics etc need to go.

Only if your doing the kitchen in the next 15 minutes.

Between us rewiring and us doing the kitchen our plans changed significantly.

Thankfully my electrician said not to do as you describe and to wait till we have the kitchen ordered before committing to wiring in the kitchen.

He was right.

nickdavies

Doesnt sound like op’s son is planning on waiting 6 years to do the kitchen….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like he has the money to do both immediately either.

mikeyp

Rewire first & make sure you allow for UFH in the wiring plans

plop_pants
    Free Member

Thanks for your help everyone. This is a job that will all be done at once. Sounds like my son might have to move back in with the oldies for a while if the rewire is that messy!

vintagewino
    Free Member

Rewired (and replumbed) our entire house 18 months ago. It really is that messy!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Rewire.

Getting stuff finished then having to rip dirty great strips out of every wall and fishing holes in all the ceilings sucks the biggest of hairy balls.

IA

We did both and rewire first for sure. But we planned the kitchen before the rewire. So I guess rewire second? Fit kitchen third.

Messy job, as above. Though ours needed chased in EVERYWHERE as all the existing wiring was in white plastic conduit on the walls. Yup. All of it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What to do first? New kitchen/complete house rewire.’ is closed to new replies.