Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • what phone to replace ageing desire HD?
  • sadexpunk

been using a rooted DHD for a couple of years now, and theres a few apps not working as id like these days.
    support seems to have died for it on the forums, no newer roms for me to instal (otherwise id he happy to keep it for ever), so its maybe time for me to dip my hand in my pocket and get something newer.

id prefer android, but doesnt have to be bells and whistles, i only really use it for internet, camera, emails, and a few assorted apps. oh and as a phone from time to time too 🙂

id prefer a good condition second hand jobbie, but id buy new if it was decent value such as nexus 4 or something. ideally looking between £100-£200. like the look of htc one, but thats gonna be out my price range i think.

did a search on here as i seem to remember a lot of people also recommending a sony i reckon, but cant find that thread, may have been more than a month ago.

any suggestions? must have decent battery life and just look nice whilst doing the simple things well.

cheers

smokey_jo

Moto G – can’t fault mine and cheap as chips

sadexpunk

just having a look at that ta, but forgot to mention must be unlocked or O2 as im on a giffgaff sim.

cheers

Jamie
    Free Member

just having a look at that ta, but forgot to mention must be unlocked or O2 as im on a giffgaff sim.

Moto G 16GB from Tesco for £139

….or 8GB for £110.

£10 off £50 spend code for Tesco: TDX-PM4X

£1.99 for Moto G unlock.

prawny

Yeah if you’re on giffgaff I’d go for the tesco Moto G, assuming unlimited data you could probably even get away with the 8GB one and keep everything in dropbox/google drive

nickjb
    Free Member

Moto G was £100 in Asda when I was in last week. Good phone. Does all the smart stuff well enough and the OS is pretty standard.

tightywighty
    Free Member

smokey_jo – Member

Moto G – can’t fault mine and cheap as chips

Just read a review on that. Looks amazing for the money.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/moto-g-1199218/review/13#articleContent

sadexpunk

lot of love for the moto G, it does seem to be good value. only thing putting me off are the bad reviews of the camera. id be using the phone for all my pics, especially holiday pics, then uploading to pc, so id want something a little better in this area.

can you still buy the nexus 4 anywhere these days btw?

smokey_jo

Latest kitkat update has improved the camera a bit – it’s as good as my iphone 4 was….

bob_summers

I’ve not been impressed with my moto g camera. Not as good as my old galaxy nexus or desire HD,although I think on paper it’s the same or better. So maybe operator error. Not too bothered as I have a proper camera for anything more than a snap shot.

brassneck

Very impressed with the Nexus 5 I have on trial (3 months plus and counting) and I’m usually spending my own money on Apple.

sadexpunk

how much was the N5? been looking for an N4 but cant find any for sale. i spose theyve all been snapped up and everyones happy with them 🙂

kayak23

I went from a desire hd to an htc desire s.
    Great phone, really slim and sleeker than the hd.
    Great camera.

I now have a one mini, and to be honest I wish I’d not changed from the desire s.

I’d say stick with HTC. Good phones and you know the UI.

bob_summers

Sadexpunk, N4 is essentially now the moto g. Google bought Motorola iirc.

Jamie
    Free Member

Google bought Motorola iirc.

Then sold it to Lenovo.

mm93
    Free Member

I have a moto g which is very good overall but the camera is only good for stills in my opinion.My wife has a nexus 4 and the motog is just as good for apps,browsing etc and I think the moto g has a better screen.The low light photos taken on the n4 are awful!
    If a good camera is a priority consider a Nokia lumia 920,there are some very good deals around on them and wp8 is nice,it just lacks a few apps and games.Wp 8.1 is just around the corner which sounds very promising.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just get the Moto G and spend £50-£100 on a camera. You’ll get a good phone and be able to take much better pictures than almost any phone.

sadexpunk

i understand what youre saying, but we have a half decent camera and never really use it. we even take it on holidays, but we just naturally default to the phones when we take pics. phones are always on us and ideal for those spur of the moment shots so its quite important to have decent quality phones and short vids to upload to pc afterwards.

not too keen on a windows phone either thanks, id prefer to keep with android. (i have nothing to base that on other than a dislike of microsoft)

thanks

Jamie
    Free Member

Thing is, the Nexus camera isn’t nothing special on the N5, so N4 won’t be brill.

If you want a decent camera, maybe look at a second hand Z1?

sadexpunk

great stuff thanks jamie 🙂

imagine my delight when i looked on the FS ads –> and saw a second hand Z1 there!!

imagine my dismay when i saw it was £310 second hand 🙁

sadexpunk

might have breathed new life into the desire hd. just been on android forums and seen theres a kitkat rom for it, so downloaded that and will see how it all works out.

thanks

JohnnyPanic

For those of you who’ve unlocked your Tesco PAYG Moto G’s, have you had any hassle from Tesco over not buying credit or using the supplied sim card? Just wondering what the legality is over unlocking a PAYG phone?

Jamie
    Free Member

Don’t panic, Jonny. Tesco don’t care.

Get phone. Order unlock code. Remove Tesco sim. Insert current sim. Done.

Potdog
    Free Member

Where did you find the Kitkat ROM Sadexpunk? I have an old Desire HD that I am thinking of replacing, but if I can root it and get Kitkat on there it will probably give it a new lease of life.

cp

As above, I unlocked mine and used it on giffgaff. Though when my moto g developed a fault, I stuck 10quid of credit on it before phoning the tesco help line. Long and short of it was I got a new replacement phone.

Moto g is a great bit of kit. Lovely screen, very fast, kit kat. The camera isn’t as bad as some folk make out.

cp

Oh, moto g battery life is brilliant as well- nearly 48 hours out of mine regularly.

My work blackberry lasts about 6 hours.

smokey_jo

Only PITA is you can’t change the voicemail number from 905 without rooting :/

crankboy
    Free Member

My wife has the motor g the camera seems ace. Having dropped and cracked the screen on my HTC I plan to swop to a moto g from tesco and unlock for gifgaf.

sadexpunk

Where did you find the Kitkat ROM Sadexpunk? I have an old Desire HD that I am thinking of replacing, but if I can root it and get Kitkat on there it will probably give it a new lease of life.

here you go mate.
    and heres the bumph for rooting it if you decide to go ahead 🙂

lot of love for the moto g, thanks for all the advice. im liking my new kitkat DHD at the mo tho, its doing everything i ask of it, so it seems to have solved my problem for now.

thanks a lot

JohnnyPanic

smokey_jo – Member
    Only PITA is you can’t change the voicemail number from 905 without rooting :/

Can you not just dial / create a contact entry for your own service’s voicemail?

Potdog
    Free Member

Cheers, guess I know what I’ll be doing tomorrow!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘what phone to replace ageing desire HD?’ is closed to new replies.