Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 231 total)
  • What new bike with t’missus money?
  • Premier Icon tjagain

Following on from my previous thread I am going to buy a new bike with her money. I told her this and was told – ” I don’t effing care – i won’t be here” so new bike time. 🙂

I have not bought a bike for many years and certainly not new! I have no idea what is out there. Budget is whatever is needed

Purposes will be for offroad pootling, needs to be MTB style not a gravel bike. Some touring as well so lots of braze ons. Probably want a 135 qr rear for a rohloff. I have a fat bike for trail centres and so on as well.

I am thinking of a semi custom build on a shand bahookie

What else could I be looking at?

Premier Icon scotroutes

A browse of the Surly catalogue should throw up something (though you getting a frame with Surly on it might be pust-ironic). Salsa maybe a bit more special.

Difficult to argue with your Bahookie though, especially given your location.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

If I were you, living where you do, I’d go and have a chat with Shand, and get something designed just for what you want it for, with a paint job she would love

Premier Icon kelvin

Probably want a 135 qr rear for a rohloff.

Options for this have dropped right off, so you might well end up with something custom if that is a red line.

Premier Icon molgrips

The Shand, no question, because:

My Salsa is an incredible bike for just riding around, up and down everything. It’s just a brilliant place to sit and pedal. I absolutely love it. But it’s fairly cheap and mid grade tubing.

The Shand Bahookie is the same thing but more nicely made and from fancier tubes. My mate has one.

Set it up with high sweep bars, not too wide, and go 1×12. Re the wheels, do Shand do swappable dropouts? Many bikes do so whilst you might not get the option to boost you could get 142×12 option.

Premier Icon steezysix
    Free Member

Genesis Longitude has 135mm rear and lots of braze ons, not sure how easy it is to set up a Rohloff though. That’s an upgrade I’d like to make to mine at some point, although my dream bike is a Tumbleweed Prospector (£££££)

Premier Icon northernremedy

Have a chat with Ricky at Feather cycles and get a custom stainless steel?

Premier Icon molgrips

Bahookie does have changeable dropouts. Here’s a pic of it with a hub gear:

Premier Icon kelvin

Nice.

When does the “what colour” conversation start…?

Premier Icon molgrips

Oh, it’s a Rohloff of course, the SP is part of SpeedHub.

Premier Icon tjagain

Custom paintjob I think. Triumph pale metallic blue with dark blue pinstriping?

Premier Icon tomhoward

Custom paintjob I think.

Was gonna suggest that, regardless of what bike you actually buy.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

What a shame I dont fit a 16″ frame 🙁 Fair saving and what a spec list
    https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/bikes/electric-bikes/cube-stereo-hybrid-140-hpc-slt-625-2020-electric-bike

Premier Icon tjagain

No e bikes as it will be going into the highlands for multiday trips but i want a motor retrofittable for a long tour on it. maybe I need two bikes? 😉

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

+1 on Shand and some lovely paint.

Get some nice wheels built.

Get a good shop to build it all.

Just take enjoyment in the bling.

maybe I need two bikes?

Like you need to ask.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Free Member

Curtis have the AM9 with rack and pannier amounts. Look so nice with the clear coat finish.

Custom frame from Swarf?

I’m just listing what I’d buy here 😀

Premier Icon jamiemcf

What about something completely custom with a custom paint job. I know they’re London based but I love the detail Saffron produce.

Premier Icon tjagain

Ooh that curtis looks nice. I just have no idea what is available.

Premier Icon moonsaballoon

I would be ditching the rohloff and getting something with a pinion and belt drive , the bike will ride nicer off road with the weight more central and you can maybe use the rohloff on a gravel/tourer/adventure bike .

Might be worth looking at coverage of previous bespoke bike shows https://singletrackworld.com/2019/05/highlights-from-the-bespoked-show-2019/   Give you an idea of whose out there and see what tickles your fancy . 18bikes and shand jump to mind .

Premier Icon leffeboy

🙂

I read your post and thought Bahookie before you even got to that part. You know it makes sense

Get ‘tandem’ written on it too

Edit:and yes you need two bikes.

Premier Icon molgrips

No e bikes as it will be going into the highlands for multiday trips but i want a motor retrofittable for a long tour on it. maybe I need two bikes?

You absolutely do. You want a purpose built e-bike if you’re going to get one.

The Curtis comes with a 66 degree HA and is built for 140mm fork. This is not a ‘pootling’ bike, it’s a bike for technical riding. I believe the reason my Salsa is so damn good for long distance riding, the reason it feels so positive, is the steeper head angle. Whilst a slack HA is good for tech I don’t think it’s as good for long miles. The Bahookie is 69.5.

Premier Icon stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Face facts, you’re of a certain age. Islabike do a nice ebike with a step through frame so you don’t have to worry about getting your leg over.

Premier Icon andy4d

I came on to give my tuppence worth and echo what’s already been said. Given your location and the fact this bike will have a certain meaning to you, a Shand could fit the bill in my opinion. I think they will have something that’s just right for you and a wee bit special to boot. That said don’t rush it, take your time and find something that gives you that feeling of excitement…..as you wait 6 months for it to be delivered 🤣

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago

@molgrips Have you still got the El Mar? Did you get the chainstay yoke issues sorted?

Premier Icon molgrips

Yes, I’m not giving up that bike, it’s such a joy. I had Argos of Bristol fix the stays but they pretty much ignored what I wanted and did what they wanted, which involved using 853 stays that they couldn’t crimp to get the clearance I wanted. So I’ll probably have it done again by someone who can broadly replicate the original part which fortunately I still have.

Wasn’t it you that bought the one off eBay?

Premier Icon tjagain

Virtual unanimity on here? Unheard of!

Off to Shand I go then. that was easy

Premier Icon kelvin

Many more decisions to make about it to come… we’ll find something to have a hundred different opinions about it yet! We’re here for a distraction anytime you want TJ.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Tam Vs Bahookie then?

I was about to say – we’ve yet to agonise over bars, gears, dropper, tyres, pedals….

IME recently, wheels are key to a nice ride too. Get them handbuilt built from the parts you want. A nice tight and evenly tensioned wheel is really noticeable over my slack spoked ‘temporary’ back wheel…

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago

@molgrips No, not me, I’ve got an orange one I’ve had since new (2014?). I remember the discussion about crimping the chainstays vs. getting a plate yoke made up.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Id go shand 29er for your given use

Bin the rohloff and get with the times*. And have a bike that rides lovely rather than a boat anchor

* spoken as a Rohloff owner

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shandem Jeremy.

Agree, should have tandem decal on it somewhere.

Enjoy mate.

Premier Icon molgrips

A memorial bike is a lovely idea. Especially a long lived one like that.

Let me know when you’re bringing it down to South Wales.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

I was about to say – we’ve yet to agonise over bars, gears, dropper, tyres, pedals….

Wait till we get to paint……

Shandem Jeremy.

That made me smile

Premier Icon stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Rasta paint job so we can see him coming.

Premier Icon slackboy

This bahookie is very lovely

Shand Cycles (@shandcycles) • Instagram photos and videos

Premier Icon tjagain

light metallic blue with dark blue pinstriping? Must have pinstriping.

Premier Icon tjagain

The full build comes with hope wheels and replaceable dropouts mean wheel choice is not irrevocable anyway

Premier Icon bedmaker

I was looking for pretty much exactly what you describe a while back TJ.

Here’s what I did here

It’s been my most used bike over the past year and a bit, using the Roly, SS and 12 speed derailleur. Currently SS with big tyres and I love it.

It’s suspension corrected for a 120 fork, which I may well add at some point.
    Welcome to take it for a spin if you are North at any point.

I was close to getting the Shand Tam, but it didn’t quite tick the boxes I was after.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 231 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.