Home Forums Chat Forum What frame for this painting?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What frame for this painting?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Plain black, white and oak all seem to drain the colour or look too formal.

It is almost exactly, but not 12″ x 16″ so none of the shop bought frames for 12×16 don’t fit.

The bigger sized off the shelf frames overwhelm it.

Please suggest, or post pictures of, the options I can use as inspiration to make something.

mattyfez

Is it on a canvas frame? Is so I’d just hang it as is.

binners

I’m just back from dropping some stuff off at the gallery that exhibits my work, as they’ve got a viewing and wine tasting evening on tonight.

I saw this which is not just an amazing painting (he’s a retired art teacher) but I absolutely loved the weathered white frame.

I reckon something like that would suit it

I love the painting BTW

csb
    Free Member

Chrome tubing, 1 inch diameter, to highlight the camper connection.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Binners – I like that painting he has done. I was thinking something more playful for mine though. Bring out the camper side of the campervan. Perhaps a yellow wash wood to tie back to the van?

Chrome would be too strong and dominant I think for the small painting but could work on something larger

redthunder
    Free Member

Yellow Frame

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Agreed. I will pick up a rattle can in the morning and paint one of my old frames.

ctk

Sky blue frame i reckon.

midlifecrashes

Perspex with air bubbles.

singletrackmind

Some interesting sticks, about 2in diameter, straight, with bark on..
    Mitred together and protruding out front

Will bring a 3d effect into play

Plus, with natural beauty of the wood will Enhance and border the greenery of the tree and bridge the gap between ourselves, the earth and the sky.

TiRed

Something to pull out the lesser colours like the purples in the flowers would be my choice.

mattyfez

Some interesting sticks, about 2in diameter, straight, with bark on..
    Mitred together and protruding out front

Will bring a 3d effect into play

Plus, with natural beauty of the wood will Enhance and border the greenery of the tree and bridge the gap between ourselves, the earth and the sky.

Thats a good idea, it could look really good without trapping in the natural ‘poppiness’ of the painting that I fear a frame might introduce. I’d use thinner sticks though, about garden cane thickness but more woody looking rather than bamboo.

Otherwise I’d hang it frameless so as not to trap the organic brightness within the barrier of a frame, just tidy up the sides of the canvas frame if nessesary with colours complimentary to the picture. A pale green or pale blue maybe. Simmilar to the light greens and blues in the main painting or maybe a bit of a gradient/pattern continuation of the picture.

mattyfez

I’d use thinner sticks though, about garden cane thickness but more woody looking rather than bamboo.

Maybe some willow sticks strapped together with some natural looking string and nailed/tacked on where appropiate, something simmilar to this? would make a nice organic looking frame.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/garden-willow-sticks-1.2m/12814688.html

wbo
    Free Member

I’d hang as is.  I’d agree it’s a good painting, lots to like :-)

mattyfez

I’d hang as is. I’d agree it’s a good painting, lots to like

Yes, also this, if you’re hanging it on a neutral/light coloured wall it can bring the whole wall alive without the psychological confines of a frame, its a really nice painting and the natural colours really pop out, so don’t subdue that quality with a harsh frame.

towzer

Mount it in a white surfboard

skink2020

1cm cream slip and a mid to dark blue, slightly distressed frame about 3-4 cm wide.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Mottled black frame to represent the manky pollution spewing out the back that has been omitted by the artist.

Match box cars glued all around to represent the queue of cars stuck behind the shitheap?

Loads of shit unoriginal bumper stickers that never were that clever to represent the stickers that were ommited due to scale?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have a painted yellow frame drying in the garage so will try that but I also have a bag of big bark chunks that I could use.

I might cut some bark to size to mock up a bark frame and then see who prefers a normal yellow frame and who prefers a natural bark frame.

Remember though, that the frame should not dominate the painting

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Loads of shit unoriginal bumper stickers that never were that clever to represent the stickers that were ommited due to scale?

You can just about make out the black and white CND sticker

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Bark looked a bit rubbish so I went for a soft yellow to tie in with the van.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.