Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What do we think about bar end mirrors?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m generally okay cycling in traffic but (like everyone I suspect) I’ve had some scary moments. I’ve seen some folks’ bikes fitted with bar end mirrors and was wondering whether they’d be a useful safety addition and they’re certainly cheaper than Varia radar.

I appreciate that they probably don’t look cool, but do folk use them and find them useful? If so what sort of size do you need for one to be effective? Busch and Müller do some 80mm monsters that look like dinner plates (and probably go bigger), Cateye have a small 45mm one.

Equally there’s not much point if all I’m going to see is my knee.

scaredypants

I have a small one (zefal) on the road bike (and a Varia – paranoid, moi ?) and used a bit bigger one on the drop bar commutah

IF you’re also paranoid, I’d recommend something the zefal, tbh – big enough to see what’s coming and even on a regular width drop bar it sees past my knee

littledave
    Free Member

I also use bar end mirrors on both flat and drop bars. Large ones for commuting are best.

A mirror does not replace an over shoulder check before you manoeuvre but I find them useful for general Situational awareness.

oceanskipper

A mirror does not replace an over shoulder check before you manoeuvre

In case there are any Vampires trying to overtake ?

Northwind

Never liked them on a pushbike tbh, we’ve got so much freedom of movement and uninterrupted field of vision to look around anyway, but also bikes are pretty vibratey. Had some on the motorbike though and that was fantastic.

thepurist

I stuck one of these on when I used to commute (rhs obvs) and found it useful enough that I’ve not bothered to take it off. Doesn’t wobble or need knee gymnastics to get a view

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/left-sprintech-racing-road-mirror-black/

gravedigger
    Free Member

If you get some mke sure that they’ve also got the extra lens for covering your blindspot…

irc

For flat bars the cheap Decathlon one works fine.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/100-bike-rear-view-mirror/_/R-p-512

For drops my bar ends hold my gear shifters. I use Rhode Gear mirrors which fit over the brake hoods.

IMG_20240421_192135

longdog
    Free Member

Seen a few with the mirror on a stalk that attach to your helmet too, which apparently are quite good. My wife used to have a big one on the handle bars that she liked , but it was a bit ungainly and  constantly getting knocked until it eventually broke.

I’d been thinking about something too, but due to me struggling to hear cars coming up behind on back roads. I do loads of checks usually , but you can bet when I haven’t ones there stalking me!  Combination of being half deaf, wind noise and stealth quiet cars nowadays.

Edit: hers was a similar size to that  up there ^^ but got knocked storing the bike and leaning it on things when out.

scotroutes

FWIW the Varia I have is excellent. I was a skeptic, but managed to blag one cheap (thinking I’d try it and possibly sell it on for no/little loss) and became a complete convert.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Seen a few with the mirror on a stalk that attach to your helmet too, which apparently are quite good

Had one of these. It was great for a few years but then the socket joint got slack and then it was useless.

They are exceedingly fiddly to set up correctly. Anyone that tells you there are only 3 dimensions ( + time) has clearly never used one of these 😉

One memorable day I thought I had set it up right, but hadn’t.

gecko76

I used to use one that clipped to the helmet and really liked how it added to your general sense of what’s going on around you. It was really awkward when you took the helmet off, in a shop for example, and after the second one snapped I didn’t bother replacing it. Might do now though as close passes are never fun.

TiRed

Great on the tandem pre varia. Mainly for watching the kids. I also have a wrist one for the recumbent as bar ones rattled too much. I like the varia RTL more.

damascus
    Free Member

I had some on my touring bike that hid away in the bars until you needed them. Then you pulled them out. They were OK, a bit small, too narrow. Never at the right angle and probably too low.

In the end they were more useful for shaving. Eventually they snapped off and I binned them. 

I think the picture in @irc post is the one if go for if I was going to try them again.

belugabob
    Free Member

“A mirror does not replace an over shoulder check before you manoeuvre”

“In case there are any Vampires trying to overtake ?”

Or a rampaging T-Rex…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Looking over the shoulder is easy enough on a bike IMO when manoeuvring

Mirrors won’t stop the car from behind wiping you out. By the time you see it’s going to wipe you out it will be too late

duncancallum

The varia is a great peice of kit

TiRed

The varia is a great piece of kit

said by almost everyone who’s ever used one – including all those who were skeptical. I’d replace mine in a heartbeat. “So good we bought the company!” (Said Garmin).

It’s one of those thing you thought wasn’t necessary but serves as a real and active safety device. It detects vehicles approaching from about 140m and modulates its light output to attract the driver’s attention. The rear facing camera version (which is a bit of a lump) also turns on the camera. My Fly6 is always on, and the battery life suffers as a consequence.

I was skeptical in 2022, so tried just the radar in a Black Friday sale. Three rides in I replaced it with the rear light. It’s been on every road ride ever since.

oldnpastit

+1 for Varia, it’s a great piece of kit.

dyna-ti

Personal experience of bike mounted mirrors is they dont give a wide enough angle, and at night just reflect headlights, so its like looking at the surface of the sun.

Turning to looks gives a clearer picture.

DrJ

What TiRed said about Varia. If mine got (eg) stolen I’d buy another one immediately.

natrix
    Free Member

I had one that attached to the hoods (like IRC picture), it was great for commuting, especially right hand turns on a busy road. On an 8 mile commute I mostly used it for just one particular manouvere, but it made so much difference for that one turn that it was well worth it.

chrispoffer

I love a mirror, gives me so much more confidence on the road. Don’t know if I’d ever bother with a teeny tiny bar end job, certainly I wouldn’t lash out a load of money for rear facing radar. I like a big stupid looking mirror that clamps to the bars of mine. Easy to take off if I’m going off road, is perfect for nipping around the estates / to the shops with it on.

Part of the reason I find it so useful is that my right eye vision is a bit poor and I find I’m looking past the lens of my specs when looking over my shoulder. So big stupid mirror + shoulder checks makes me so much more aware of cars behind, almost feels like having a superpower in comparison with no mirror.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.