Home Forums Bike Forum What bike for fast commuting?

• This topic has 66 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by fossy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • What bike for fast commuting?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

New job, new commute. It’s a hilly 20km each way which is proving hard work for me. I would like to spend my way out of this issue by taking advantage of a tax-deducted bike purchase.

Current ride is a Camino set up with 1x GRX and gravel-ish wheels and 36mm Schwalbe G-One tyres (tubeless). I’ll be travelling as light as I can, with a rucksack because that’s what I like.

I’m thinking I’d be faster (or at least more efficient) on a proper road bike, so I fancy a disc-equipped fast commute thingy. Something like a Defy/Roubaix ‘Endurance’ road bike with 28-32mm tyres and a more aero look

Should I just HTFU because it realistically won’t make any difference? In my mind from past experience of road vs gravel bike  I’m expecting a 10% ish efficiency gain but is this unrealistic?

Should I just put some skinnier tyres (+/- wheels?) on my Camino?

Am I mad for ditching the reliability of my current bombproof setup by aiming for skinnier tyres?

Should I, in fact, go for a full aero race bike because it’s faster?

Any recommendations? Budget is v flexible and I’d like to be on something nice.

WWSTWD?

chiefgrooveguru

If it’s pretty hilly then surely an electric road/gravel bike will be quickest.

TiRed

10% gain in what? Speed and hence time? That would be a big difference since power needed would be approx 30% higher, or you’ll need significant gains to get the faster speed for same power. I’d stick some GP5000’s in a 25/28 on the bike and carry on. Maybe a narrower rear block, which in turn lends to a second set of dedicated wheels with faster tyres and second cassette. It’s not really about the bike, although slack geometry will always feel slower. Getting lower will give you some speed gains, that might be a longer or flipped stem. Of course a rucksack on the back won’t be helping there though. Rackpack like Topeak MTX isn’t a bad option.

I don’t commute on my Aero Giant Propel road bike or my TT bike unless I am racing after work (will be again next summer). It’s obviously faster, but maybe save 7 minutes a day?

jamesmio
    Free Member

A (*cough my) second-hand Giant RoadE.

</stealth ad>

Whacks the 20 mile each way commute for me in a breeze, less sweaty and disgusting than doing it via Amish power. Fully mudguard and panniers up.

convert

I’ll be travelling as light as I can, with a rucksack because that’s what I like.

You are your own problem here. Bike improvement beyond what you already have is a total irrelevance if you insist on putting a bag on your back.

Beyond that….what does hard work mean – it’s harder work and sweatier than you’d like? It is taking longer than you’d like?

My commute is 45-50km each way and a combo of flat and lumpy. I only do it one way each day with the car taking the strain in the other direction (car car in & ride home on Monday, ride in and car home on Tues etc). I sometimes use my summer road bike with no luggage, sometimes my old cross bike with guards and rack. The summer bike is faster, but the bigger factor is my – how tired I am, what fitness I currently have.

Bigger picture – its towards the back of September….regular commuting means a reliable bike that won’t let you down and you can put away filthy when needed…and….it’s not miserably to ride in crappy weather. Guards are I think the single biggest advantage anyone can make for commuting – keeps the bike shite contained, keeps you from getting so cold when riding in the wet and makes getting your clothing wearable for the return journey more attainable.

igm

Second set of wheels with fast tyres.

That said I just put 700×36 WTB Exposures on the Tempest I use for commuting.

Not much difference to the GP5000s I had on previously except for the comfort levels.

I’m doing 2×20 miles flattish with panniers for the laptop and clothes.

w00dster

As Tired says, you are probably best getting road wheels and tires. Or an e-bike. And while 10% may be realistic – its not in my case but it may be for others. Either way though I noticed I rode at the same intensity but saved a few minutes, so was still a hot sweaty mess.

I commute on a flat ride to the office on a Planet X Tempest, to be honest it doesn’t make a huge amount of difference as to what wheels I use, I still get there hot and sweaty.

Having the rucksack also won’t help. When I’m doing a full week of commuting I drive in on the Monday taking in a weeks worth of shirts. I then leave my laptop secured in the office, no need for a rucksack. But completely get this is individual.

crazy-legs

10% speed difference is a reasonable estimate IME. Road riding on my gravel bike is about 10% slower than my road bike – bit more on steep hills, bit less on rough roads where I can batter the gravel bike through it but I’d exercise more care on a road bike!

However – I’d go for an e-bike. I don’t think overall max speed is going to be the issue, it’s doing 40km per day, 5 days a week.

I was doing 12 – 15 miles each way (depending on route) and doing that 5 days was almost impossible, especially if I wanted to ride at the weekend and not just look at a bike and think “**** that!” An e-bike would have allowed me to do 5 days a week and still be fresh at the weekend and since my average speed on a road bike was only about 15mph anyway (traffic, junctions, lights, hills), the occasions where I’d be doing 20+ (occasional descents and quieter bits of road) really wouldn’t have been affected by the motor cutting out.

matt_outandabout

It’s a hilly 20km each way which is proving hard work for me

A lighter and skinnier bike when you are dressed in Sunday best lycra without a bag and lights may indeed help a small amount.

In reality the bike you have, due to that rucksack, being start and end of a working day etc is pretty damn good. I personally would pop some slightly faster (but still puncture resistant) tyres on, find a rack top bag or small single pannier and just stick with what you have already.

How long have you done the commute for – are you still finding fitness and food balance?

matt_outandabout

and +1 on an ebike.

Mrs_oab gets her new superlight e-hybrid in a week or so and something like that would be ace for the route you suggest:

tall_martin

I commited most days on 25c shod road bikes for years.

Now I’m on 50c MTB. Much comfier over rough surfaces. My hands don’t feel buzzed at the end of the week.

It is 1min faster over 4 miles each way on the road bike. Mostly as the commute is up and over a reasonable size hill. The MTB spins out about mid 20 mph, the road bike went up to 35mph without spinning out.

I’d keep the bike you have and put thinner gp5000 tyres on.

Slam and Flip your stem down if you want some free aero gainz. A longer lower stem would help getting lower.

If you want to spend your way fast get some fancy carbon wheels to go with the new tyres.

A rack won’t slow you down, it might make your back less sweaty.

Remember when its lashing it down mid ride the fashion police are at home drinking espresso. Mudguards are awesome.

crazy-legs

Just to add to my earlier post…

I used to commute on a SS road bike – nothing special at all, basic alu frame, drop bars, normal wheels. In winter it’d have clip-on mudguards fitted.

Occasionally (if I was doing a proper road ride after work, going to a circuit race etc) I’d use my good road bike – much more expensive, decent semi-aero wheels, more aggressive position etc.

There was zero difference in times on the actual commute. The limiting factor is not aero or weight or amount of carbon – or even in my case SS vs gears! – it’s just the traffic, the constant accelerate/brake/accelerate cycles at junctions and traffic lights, filtering through cars and so on. And it’s that constant series of accelerations that tires you out and kills the average speed which is why an e-bike taking the load there will help no end!

rsl1
    Free Member

Every time I’ve had a longer commute it’s taken a few months for my legs to adapt. Give it more time unless it’s just a case of n+1

molgrips
    Free Member

Something like a Defy/Roubaix ‘Endurance’ road bike with 28-32mm tyres and a more aero look

Bingo. That’s exactly what I would use – mine is a Cube Attain GTC but same thing as those mentioned. It may be ‘only’ commuting but if you have a long way to go you do want to reduce the effort as much as possible, so decent tyres and some 40mm rims would also help. I use Schwalble Pro One tubeless, because they are fast and don’t puncture because they are tubeless. If your ride is countryside then there is no need to go all urban commuter, you’ll just slow yourself down or make it harder, or both.

10% speed difference is a reasonable estimate IME.

Yeah but if you ride the same speed it’s more than 10% easier; and more than 10% less fatigue on your body longer term too.

Bike improvement beyond what you already have is a total irrelevance if you insist on putting a bag on your back.

Fully disagree. A low profile low fitting rucksack is probably the most aero way to carry gear. I took advantage of being able to leave shoes and computer at work, and I used a Camelbak Octane cinched in. There are many packs that don’t have a big protrudance at the top to slow you down. Panniers are big windbreaks.

molgrips
    Free Member

I know it’s Rapha but they claim this is actually more aero than no backpack – which is plausible, as it could fill the vortex that you would otherwise tow behind you.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/raphas-new-pro-team-backpack-offers-an-aero-advantage-452533

I’d probably go for something like this. More weight down low, behind your back; no big bit behind your head. Also has a rain cover.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mountain-bike-hydration-backpack-scudo-13l-3l-water-black/_/R-p-X8539528

Although, my Camelbak has waist pockets which are great for keys – you can lock your bike up without removing your backpack.

alan1977
    Free Member

Ebike…

the other alternative is pretty much what you have got, IF you are in doubt, chuck some commuting tyres on find out what the weakness is, are you out of gears? is it uncomfortable for that distance at the desired pace? then ask yourself if an endurance road bike is really going to make any tangible difference

My commute is just over 9 miles, couple of decent hills

the Boardman adv 8.9e is great, just settle into the 15mph assist if tired, or hot.. (ie think rain and boil in the bag waterproofs) with just enough to get some proper speed

However, the Nukeproof Digger is faster… in dry conditions, (no mudguards, no waterproofs) and potentially more prone to punctures, BUT I arrive at work knowing I have been riding fast

Actually, i don’t know if it’s faster.. it just feels faster

5stitches
    Free Member

I’m a fellow Camino Commute (with G-ones and a 42T front ring), personally I think it’s a great year rounder and takes all the punishment of hopping kerbs, gravel tracks etc. I think the key for a quick commute is keep as much at the office as possible and on the days I’m loaded up with stuff I really notice the difference.

I’m lucky enough to have showers and lockers at work, so I use a bar bag and rucksack for my laptop, lunch and tshirt for the day – I then keep my lock, shoes, trousers, wash stuff and a towel at work. It’s then just a case of remembering to take in clean towels and clothes as required.

If I’m in the office two days in a row I just leave my laptop and rucksack at work and just use the bar bag, laughing all the way home.

twisty
    Free Member

I suggest the best solution to your issue is buy power meter pedals, fit them to your bike and then build a structured training plan into your commute e.g. HIITs on Mon, Wed, Fri and zone 2 active recovery on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

It won’t make commuting any easier on day 1, but you won’t notice it because now the efforts will be contributing to a bigger goal. Over time, you’ll most likely get a lot fitter and faster.

But in terms of the priority of things you can spend your money on to make yourself faster, a more aero frameset is pretty far down the list.

cookeaa

Go Fixed.
    Not SS, fixed.

It won’t be any faster but it definitely livens up the flats and descents, and you’ll feel more macho after cleaning the climbs.

TiRed

Go Fixed.

Definitely.

convert

Fully disagree. A low profile low fitting rucksack is probably the most aero way to carry gear. I took advantage of being able to leave shoes and computer at work, and I used a Camelbak Octane cinched in. There are many packs that don’t have a big protrudance at the top to slow you down. Panniers are big windbreaks.

Nothing on earth would get me travelling longish distance with a lump on my back again when alternatives exist. Irrespective of aeroness the getting the weight low, the lack of sweaty back and the just plain convenience of a pannier trumps all. If I was only going to carry a small amount of stuff (as you say, reducing the amount you take in and out is very much a good thing) I’d be using a seatpack.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Got to be worth simply trying some nice road tyres on the Camino, because very few new bikes come with nice tyres, if you go the more spendy route of a new bike. Something like perhaps 30/32mm on rear for comfort where aero matters less, with something a bit narrower that will have sidewalls smoothly transitioning from the wheel rim on the front.

There will be the obvious trade-off of costs, speed and puncture protection for a commute. You could get a standard 23/32mm GP5000 pair for ~£75, but a tubeless variant pair could easily set you back ~£125+. GP 4 Seasons used to be popular for winter months, but they’re a lot more expensive than they used to be, now ~£40+ each on a good day.

Plus any stem/bar lowering tweaks you can do without your back moaning too much.

crazy-legs

I used a rucksack for all my commutes.
    Took clothing in by car or train on a non-ride day. Had shoes, trousers, towel, wash kit etc left at work and again on non-ride days I’d swap the trousers, towel etc for fresh ones.

Laptop left at work (at the time it was pure office and/or lab work, no WFH).

Advantages of a rucksack – filtering through traffic, general security, it’s a good place to mount lights or have a bright rain cover. Work pass lived in a side pocket so arriving on site all I’d need to do was turn slightly one way and tap the side of the bag on the sensor.
    Disadvantages – yes you get a sweaty back.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing on earth would get me travelling longish distance with a lump on my back again when alternatives exist.

Speak for yourself. I’m quite happy to do it, sounds like the OP is as well!

dovebiker

For comfort, mudguards plus getting rid of a backpack – if not carrying a laptop, I’d go for a Tailfin rack, or simply a dry bag strapped to the top of a lightweight rack.

molgrips
    Free Member

with a rucksack because that’s what I like.

OP said that ^^

For comfort, mudguards plus getting rid of a backpack

Also he’s looking for speed, not comfort:

convert

Speak for yourself.

ermmm

Nothing on earth would get me travelling longish distance with a lump on my back again when alternatives exist.

Newsflash – forums are for personal opinions shoka!

But regardless – you (and the op) are wrong! Backpacks and cycling is as wrong as fruit and food or bow ties and anything but a DJ. It’s for deviants!

abingham

Fast commute you say? Consider it done:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275935821911

ac282

£6500 and it comes with cable discs?

Superficial
    Free Member

This wasn’t the pannier vs bag debate please. I’ve done panniers. Don’t like ‘em. Too wide as someone said – difficult to filter and definitely less aero than my (small, close fitting) bag. I’m not averse to a seat pack but I find a bag comfy and more convenient. I’m showering anyway so back sweat is no problem.

Also yes I’m 100% putting mudguards back on any day now.

I’ve commuted daily for years (perhaps I should have said…) it’s just the distance that’s doubled recently, plus now it’s also pretty rural without too much traffic so I can maintain a good tempo for plenty of the journey (though it’s got plenty of climbing). I’m trying to make it feel a bit easier so I can do it most days.

Go fixed.

I feel like that’s literally the opposite of what I need!

Good suggestions re flipping the stem – I’ll give that a go because it’s currently setup with a high ish front end for off road excursions.

What I really want is:

1) The ability to ride daily without bonking on the way home.
    2) To close the differential between car and bike so I don’t get hassled about being home late when I go on my bike.

sirromj

Not read all the replies but if I had to do 20km each way I’d save up for an e-bike. That’s double what mine is give or take a km, and for me personally, I wouldn’t want to double my current distance and have to do that 5 days a week. Sure some people can, but not for me.

sirromj

This wasn’t the pannier vs bag debate please. I’ve done panniers. Don’t like ‘em. Too wide as someone said – difficult to filter and definitely less aero than my (small, close fitting) bag. I’m not averse to a seat pack but I find a bag comfy and more convenient.

I used to be a rucksack wearer too! Anyway, what works for me, as I’ve mentioned in other threads but just in case…

* Frame bag (planet x podsacs medium) to contain pump, long lunch box with click lock type lid (search bacon box on amazon), mobile, keys (jangles around a little meh).
    * Quick release waterproof Ortlieb saddle bag for spare tube, levers, multi-tool. (rarely gets opened)
    * Alpkit dry bag for clothes bungeed to rear rack no panniers. Back doesn’t get so sweaty, still reasonably aero (ha its a hybrid with a tubeless knobbly on the front and slick hybrid puncture resistant tyre on rear).

When I get to work:
    * hang helmet on handlebars, placing into it the bungee, and saddle bag
    * pull everything out of the frame bag and into drybag
    * lock bike
    * carry helmet and dry bag into work

For a minimum of 3 days out of 5 I take it as easy as possible on the way home. Othert imes have a bit of fun messing about off road.

convert

1) The ability to ride daily without bonking on the way home.
    2) To close the differential between car and bike so I don’t get hassled about being home late when I go on my bike.

1 – That’s not the bike. That’s far more to do with nutrition and fitness than what you have in terms of your current bike and the one you could buy.

2. Your commute admin will make more difference to your get home time than your bike – where you get changed, speed you get changed, bike unlocking faffage etc. You might shave 2mins off a 20km ride with a bike change, arguably 5 times that with better admin. Or skive off a few mins early.

davy90
    Free Member

I do 20km each way of road commute average 3 days a week on my Revolt with a tail pack and 40mm gravel tyres, SE London to Camden. Some 100m+ of hill at the start/end.

I’ve done 4 days but would probably struggle with 5 and a long weekend ride. Combination of the occasional short notice need to wear an ironed shirt and/or be on a different site, and age/fitness.

Not hugely looking forward to switching to the full dress 3×8 commuter soon as the weather switches, with 14kg of mudguards, rack and pannier, and 40mm puncture proof tyres on heavy touring wheels, but I’ve also learned to go a bit easier. Takes on average an hour each way, loads of traffic lights break up any rhythm, I just listen to 6 music on the way in and R4 on the way back.

To the OP, I’d give it a month or so to adjust to the new distance and take it from there.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not read all the replies but if I had to do 20km each way I’d save up for an e-bike.

Depends on the route. I used to go to Bristol, 2-3 times a week for a while, and there were only maybe two hills where the power would have been needed, the rest was all fast and open >15mph even though not much of it was flat.

silasgreenback

I was told many a year ago “It never gets easier. Ever. You just get faster”.

I commute 65km’s a day on my PX Tempest. G-Ones are a nightmare compared to a decent road tyre. I cruise comfortably at 30kph on 32 pro one tubeless but blow out my derrier crusing at 30kph on my g-ones. Get some road tyres. Min 28c and i find up to 32c theres naff all difference between them if you run correct tyre pressures.

nothing wrong with 1x on a road bike either. I run a 1x 38t chainring with 11-42 cassette. Dont spin out till bordering 50kph ish – who cruises at that speed anyway. And climbing I’ve a better ratio than a compact road bike 2x setup.

i dont use a rucksack. I use a restrap saddle bag and an agu frame bag. Need to travel light but fully loaded thats about 14l of cargo space. More if run a stem bag.

i also dont wear baggies so no flappy jackets.

i think you need to look at setup before buying a new bike. Gravel bike…road bike. Put road tyres on the gravel bike and for joe punter there’s hardly any difference in speed.

oh….the biggest change I made – shed 5kg. Avg speed increased notably.

full aero race bike – IMHO you’d be wasting your money for commuting. Dont underestimate the toll of a winter on our roads.

chiefgrooveguru

“1) The ability to ride daily without bonking on the way home.
    2) To close the differential between car and bike so I don’t get hassled about being home late when I go on my bike.”

If there are any parts of the ride where you’re under 15mph for much of the time than an ebike will allow you to save your energy and keep you moving faster – or not, depending on your mood/lungs/legs that day.

Superficial
    Free Member

The main reason I want to ride is for fitness. Don’t really fancy an eBike, though I accept it’s probably the ‘correct’ tool for the job.

crazy-legs

The main reason I want to ride is for fitness. Don’t really fancy an eBike, though I accept it’s probably the ‘correct’ tool for the job.

You don’t really get fitter by just smashing commutes, that’s a way to get you wrecked and also stuck in a rut of just riding 20km at a time.

You’ll reach the end of the week knackered from 240km and not want to do anything at the weekend. Using an e-bike, at least for some of the commutes, will keep you riding more.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.