Home Forums Chat Forum Waterproof jacket for walking

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Waterproof jacket for walking
  • Mounty_73

I am looking at getting another waterproof jacket and I have started reading reviews and doing some research etc. As with all outdoor kit I know it’s a minefield and that any suggestions will be based upon personal use and experience.

The jacket will be used for walking out in the hills and mountains, not for going to the shops!

I have a budget of around £200 to £250, I do tend to run a little warm, so breathability is important, so any suggestions?

ElShalimo

Go to a local shop and try on various Mountain Equipment jackets. Buy the one that fits well and is within your budget

jamiea
    Free Member

⬆️ wot he said!

fazzini

ME jackets can be lovely – if they fit you. Alternatives do exist…Rab also do some nice jackets, can also be a pain to find one that fits like ME especially if you are not built like an athlete! I found one after trying on loads of jackets – Rab Kangri GTX

Mounty_73

I am a slim build and I have noticed a lot of jackets are too.

Is Goretex still the go to material?

fazzini

I am a slim build

The waterproof jacket world is your oyster ;)

My Kangri is Goretex GTX and it works fine – right up until I get too hot – but then, I overheat just thinking about exercise 😂; my previous Berghaus was their own w/proof fabric – it was great at keeping rain out but sadly not breathable in the slightest for me. I’ve had one eVent jacket – but it died horribly on a rock garden at Hamsterley so can’t really comment on how good it was – other than the jacket itself wasn’t designed to slide down multiple rocks :(

Best jacket I ever had was a North Face goretex XCR. It was stolen sadly.

cloudnine
    Free Member

If you can’t be arsed with goretex and reproofing but want a completely waterproof jacket that you can chuck in the washer..
    Columbia outdry is good.
    The only waterproof jacket that has kept me dry all day.
    Probably not as breathable as goretex but does have pit zips. Also beware there are several slightly different variations of thickness material in the outdry range.

footflaps

Is Goretex still the go to material?

The original patent on expanded PTFE membrane expired several years back, so anyone can make it now – which means there are decent alternatives.

Gore still maintain very strong quality control over ever design using their fabrics, so it’s almost impossible to buy a duff jacket using their logo.

Alpkit have some pretty decent waterproof offerings in their range – all with PFC-free DWR, which is good. Most jackets use PFC DWR which are highly toxic chemicals which rub / leach off into the environment over time.

RustyNissanPrairie

To throw a curve ball into the mix – have a look at Buffalo gear of Sheffield or Montanes Hydrogen/Extreme jackets.

Pile and pertex works far better for me than membranes/goretex. I move quickly and operate hot. Goretex for me wets from the inside out – even when properly washed and cared for with a working DWR layer. Pile and Pertex worn direct against the skin with no base layer is perfect – if you start getting warm you can quickly dump heat due to no base layer and the material wicks moisture far better than anything else I’ve ever worn. Even drenched through after many hours I’m warm and the jacket feels dry.

grahamt1980

I absolutely love my paramo for walking.
    Way too warm for biking but in the mountains it has a lovely feel. Much nicer than my ME and other goretex coats. Def not for summer use though, have lightweight goretex for that

RicB

I’ve had my Paramo Velez for 12 years and it’s still brilliant. Very breathable and comfortable to wear all day, which means I tend to pack an emergency lightweight fleece in the bag, rather than carry a hardshell waterproof in the bag.

Easy to look after once you get used to twice yearly wash n reproof habits.

My wife prefers hardshell-type waterproofs and has had quite a few in the same 12years, and I reckon the Paramo has been better than all of them.

csb
    Free Member

I’ve just invested in a ventile jacket because I like the idea of a non plastic solution and I’m intruiged to see if it really can do the job. The hebtroco smock is one option but looks a bit ‘re-enactment’, I went with a Scottish made one that looks more conventional.

footflaps

I’ve just invested in a ventile jacket because I like the idea of a non plastic solution and I’m intruiged to see if it really can do the job.

I’ve just bought Alpkit’s version, not used it in anger yet as been too warm.

Although being single layer it’s not trying to compete with a full on hard shell in torrential rain.

csb
    Free Member

The one I got is double layer so allegedly waterproof, but I think it will get heavy when wet.

matt_outandabout

Go to a local shop and try on various Mountain Equipment jackets. Buy the one that fits well and is within your budget

^ he is right.

That said, my old Berghaus was teh shizzles also for fit, membrane (Hydroshell Elite) and features.

I am somewhat less happy with either the Pertex Sheild+ (lasted a few months before leaking like a sieve) or the ME Driline (not having or retaining DWR, although that may be crappy new DWR’s) fabrics. I plan on heading back to Goretex next.

To add: you may be slim (lucky you!) but I also think for walking jackets need to be longer than is current fashion and have pockets designed for a pack, not a harness, hood for a head not a helmet, arms and venting for walking…

csb
    Free Member

I’ve just invested in a ventile jacket because I like the idea of a non plastic solution and I’m intruiged to see if it really can do the job.

Just worn my ventile jacket in a hoolie and can report that it is totally waterproof but people aren’t kidding when they say it goes stiff when wet! Not unpleasant mind.

bikebob

Some good suggestions, but with your budget you’ll get a good jacket from many major brands. I’d concentrate more on fit. I’m tall with long arms so by default it ruled out many great options. Buy what fits well and feels nice.
    Personally I wear a shell with layers under as opposed to insulated waterproof.
    Lots of choice

didnthurt

If you’re dead set on a single jacket then I recommend that you buy the best Gore Tex one you can, active is very breathable. You’ll need to try some one as fit across brands can be very different.

Or I reckon you’d be better off buying two for that amount. A windproof close fitting jacket and a slightly bigger very packable and very waterproof jacket that you can wear over the top. In my experience, even the best waterproof jackets lose their waterproofness over time and still feel sweaty inside when putting in an effort, so only best worn when it’s raining.

dovebiker

Recently got a Montane jacket made from GoreTex Pro which is pretty good. Got a GoreTex Active and Pertex Proshield Pro jackets for lightweight/summer duties.
    I’d avoid PacLite – it is only designed for occasional use and doesn’t last very long, 2 years if you’re lucky before it starts wetting through.
    I live on the West Coast, the notion of wearing a non-hardshell here is laughable – you’d be soaked in minutes.

chakaping

Hopefully the OP has got their jacket by now, considering how wet it’s been lately.

What did you get and how’s it working Mounty?

chainbreaker
    Free Member

I’d avoid PacLite – it is only designed for occasional use and doesn’t last very long, 2 years if you’re lucky before it starts wetting through.
    I live on the West Coast, the notion of wearing a non-hardshell here is laughable – you’d be soaked in minutes.

I also live on the west coast, and my Montane paclite has been going strong for 4 years now with no leakage issues. Have just bought another one with the updated paclite plus fabric that is meant to be more durable.

Goretex pro is good at keeping you dry, but horribly stiff to wear. Great if you’re going up mountains but if it’s just an everyday/walking jacket then paclite is absolutely fine and more comfortable.

Sportpursuit and sportshoes.com have some decent deals on waterproofs if you know what you’re looking for.

Also from past experience I’d avoid Rab stuff – the quality wasn’t that great.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Or I reckon you’d be better off buying two for that amount. A windproof close fitting jacket and a slightly bigger very packable and very waterproof jacket that you can wear over the top. In my experience, even the best waterproof jackets lose their waterproofness over time and still feel sweaty inside when putting in an effort, so only best worn when it’s raining.

Very much this. Ive never found a waterproof jacket that didnt have me sweating cobs on a steep hill walk. Layers / Windproof for when its not raining. Waterproof shell in the bag for when the heavens open.

Mounty_73

Hopefully the OP has got their jacket by now, considering how wet it’s been lately.

What did you get and how’s it working Mounty?

Just spotted the post. I bought a Montane Pac Plus GORE-TEX Jacket and its been superb so far and its been used a lot recently! lol

ElShalimo

Nah … the Deluge are okay overtrousers but for a jacket it’s not very breathable and the design isn’t great for serious hillwalking in all weathers.

There’s a reason they are cheap (<£100)

cakefacesmallblock

Pleased Mounty73 has found a jacket.
    In defence of Paclite, I’ve had a pair of Berghaus Paclite over trousers for 15 years. Used often as an extra windproof layer or in quite hideous wet conditions. Even worn on my bike in winter occasionally. Only ever let water in at the vent zip on a couple occasions and very likely because I’d not cinched them closed properly. On a second pair now as my originals sadly, literally took off and disappeared over a hill when I opened my car boot on a very windy day in the Elan Valley. My apologies for any pollution caused and if anyone found them, hope they fit and still work well.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

How is the beading of water on your Paclite Plus mounty? I bought the same jacket this year and it is terrible, seems to soak in after 10 mins of walking to the shops. Emailed Rab and they basically said tumbledry it to restore DWR but that in any case the goretex should prevent rain coming in, although would assume breathability is borked. Not really had a long walk in poor conditions to test either of those theories.

Had an Alpkit Balance jacket before that and it was abysmal.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

I recently purchased a Mountain Equipment Makalu jacket from the Magic Mountain site and can’t believe I waited so long to buy a proper jacket. After years of buying mid priced jackets from the likes of Rab and Montane and finding them wetting out after 6 months of use I will not be going back to shell jackets.

Mounty_73

How is the beading of water on your Paclite Plus mounty?

I have to say (touch wood) the beading has been very good so far. When I used it for the first time, the weather was bad and I was a bit apprehensive so I stayed local and not too high, it worked.

Its been used quite a lot recently and it will be used again this weekend, so far I am impressed and I have had a lot of jackets over the years, both cheap and expensive. Some of the cheaper ones have outdone the expensive ones, but only on waterproofness.

Breathability for me is an issue as my body tends to run and work on the warm side. I paid £120 from sportsshoes.com

BadlyWiredDog

I will not be going back to shell jackets.

I thought the ME Makalu was a shell jacket? Isn’t it a Gore-Tex Pro waterproof shell or am I missing something?

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Sorry…. I meant 3 layer goretex rather than a 2 or 2.5 layer fabric.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.