Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • War of the Worlds film (Tom Cruise) – films that you would avoid normally
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I haven’t hated many Tom Cruise films for a while really. He mostly does idiotic crap which is easily watchable on the plane or a rainy day. For a lot of my film watching I’m quite happy with that sort of thing.

I thought Edge of Tomorrow (aka Live, Die, Repeat) was pretty weak but decent fodder for a long-haul flight

munrobiker
    Free Member

If we are doing Spielberg films with Tom Cruise that aren’t rubbish then surely we need to talk about Minority Report, which is really very good.

hora
    Free Member

Jaws, ET, Raider of the Lost Ark – all in my top 10 films ever Schindler’s List and Saving Private Ryan were pretty good (understatement) too

TBH – he can knock out a film that is commercially a hit without being too popcorn/crap. Yes hes had misses but how many directors have such commercial longevity?

Northwind

Doesn’t the novel have a fairly ridiculous happy reunion in it too? I can’t remember that much about it, because it’s really very shit, but I’m not sure you can blame Hollywood for that one.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

TC’s best performances? Check out “Magnolia” and “Born on the Fourth of July.” Funny? His appearance in “Tropic Thunder.” Well, certainly after a few shandies.

Think he is improving and should get away from the Reacher type character and Hollywood bollox. Though I did enjoy “Edge of Tomorrow” and even paid for it in 3D.

“if those dogs come any closer I will drop kick them.” 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

WotW is utter rubbish, nearly left the cinema early it was that bad. For me it was one of TC worst movies.

Magnolia on the other hand he tries way too hard to win an oscar, and it’s boring for a long periods.

TC can do okay films IMO, think Top Gun, Mission Impossible or Vanilla Sky, but most were years ago. Well past his sell by date.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Magnolia has a good soundtrack. Got me into Aimee Mann.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

would never have chosen to watch Guardians Of The Galaxy. loved it. likewise White House Down!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Doesn’t the novel have a fairly ridiculous happy reunion in it too? I can’t remember that much about it, because it’s really very shit, but I’m not sure you can blame Hollywood for that one.

The people i went to see it complained about the ending too, but the bit about bacteria defeating the aliens rather than us 🙄

I liked it anyway, especially the whole storm->tripod coming out of the ground scene in the winter sun.

willard

If you liked Whitehouse Down, watch Olympus Has Fallen.

Almost the same, but different, but the same.

Speaking of which, The Interview is good, but it’s no Blazing Saddles

CountZero

reggiegasket – Member
    Magnolia has a good soundtrack. Got me into Aimee Mann.

I’ve been a fan since ‘Til Tuesday, Magnolia would never have existed without Aimee, she was writing Batchelor No 2 and the director was hanging out at her house, and realised there was a storyline to the songs.
    Only seen the film once, can’t say I was terribly excited by it.
    I did sort of enjoy WotW in the cinema, but if I never see it again it won’t break my heart. Same with any film TC’s in; he’s an adequate actor, no more, although I did enjoy the one where he’s the amoral hitman, I don’t bother going to see his films these days, at nearly ten quid for a ticket now that Orange Wednesday is finished, it’ll take a bloody good film to tempt me out.
    See: Shawn the Sheep… 😉

dobo
    Free Member

I’m really surprised to read so many liking WOTW remake, i used to love the music/story and the original film but the remake didnt do it for me.
    I did watch a bit of topgun last night on sky 🙂 and seem to recall Oblivion being an OK tom cruise film, better than WOTW imo.

colournoise

WOTW has some decent and dark moments, but just think how bland it would have been without someone of Spielberg’s Hollywood clout pulling the strings.

Not a huge fan of TC or SS but both occasionally create something decent.

RustySpanner

Tom Cruise’s best performance is convincing himself and the rest of the world that Scientology isn’t effectively blackmailing him over his sexuality.

If he’d just have had the balls to come out in the first place he’d have garnered respect, rather than contempt.

Opportunity missed.
    Shame.

See also John Travolta etc etc.

ElShalimo

Ooh, controversial.
    Evidence please

RustySpanner

Have you SEEN Top Gun?

Rockplough
    Free Member

Never mind Top Gun how about this, which despite being terrible by any conventional measure, does have a definite charm about it. And Robert Duvall.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWAnRj9e4VA[/video]

*Yes I know it’s Top Gun in cars.

hora
    Free Member

Have you SEEN Top Gun?

I’ve not seen it for years. It could be one of those films that doesn’t feel the same anymore. Whereas some 80’s/90’s etc ones ROCK still 😀

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Hey Count, if you work shifts and want bargain cinema I think Odeon still do tickets at a fiver for daytime showings on Tuesday.

Was going fairly regularly with my other half but have been wrestling with a Staffie cross from Cheshire Dog’s Home for the past four weeks 🙂

hatter

I caught the film when I was in a hotel last year… the only thing that really stuck with me was their unforgivable failure to use a single bit of Jeff Waynes incredible score.

Even just the first minute of ‘Eve Of The War.’ Put that in on the opening credits and every hair on every neck would have been standing to attention.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m not keen on WOTW’s. I can watch it, like the acting and look of the film etc. but I hate the change/twist to the fundamental plot. In my mind it undermines the end making it inplausible and ruining the film – don’t want to expand on that as it might be a spoiler for others.

jon1973
    Free Member

Whereas some 80’s/90’s etc ones ROCK still

First Blood is a good example of this.

jimjam
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

Have you SEEN Top Gun?

So Tom Cruise wrote, directed and edited Top Gun to imply that he was gay?

ElShalimo

And had special cuddles with Kelly McGillis too
    Lucky lucky man

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘War of the Worlds film (Tom Cruise) – films that you would avoid normally’ is closed to new replies.