Home Forums Bike Forum VW T5 Transporter with Tailgate – tow bar rack options?? Show me yours

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • VW T5 Transporter with Tailgate – tow bar rack options?? Show me yours
  • velocipede
    Free Member

Just bought a T5 camper with a tailgate – has a tow bar but I’m wondering if there are any rack options that would still let me open the tailgate with rack and bikes still fitted? Might be a tall order!!

Photos of any in situ would be great – thanks

PhilO
    Free Member

Atera Strada. I use it with a Toyota Hiace, but a quick google image search will show examples on a veedub.

damascus
    Free Member

How much do you want it to slide out of the way? £1700 want it?

https://www.rhinoinstalls.co.uk/memo-van-star-vw-bike-rack

bravesirrobin

I have an Atera Strada Evo 3 on a T6 with Tailgate and once the rack is fully extended I have to give it a further gentle push to open the tailgate otherwise it just catches – this is made easier or even unnecessary if the rack is fully loaded. It’s not a big deal for me and the rack works really well – I have the 4th bike extension on it also.

beamers

T6 with a tailgate here. Aterra Strada works for me, although I have to turn the bars on the bike nearest the tailgate in order to be able to open in. Not a big drama.

hatter

Thule VelopSpace here, can open the tailgate even with 4 bikes on there.

john_l
    Free Member

You can get tow hitch spacers if you need to move your rack a bit further back. Got one on our Trafic so the rack can clear the spare.

fenboy

i have a t5 and i definitely can’t tilt my thule velocompact back enough to open the tailgate! wish i’d got the velospace or easyfold but no options when i got this and needed in a hurry/ plus got a deal so accept that i have to take it off to get in! its starting to get a bit frustrating though!

hatter

Yeah it has to be the Velospace, the other models won’t clear it

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a T6 (effectively the same) with a BuzzRack and you can’t open the tailgate with that in place, a swan neck bar helps, but not much.

john_l
    Free Member

This is what we use…

Linky

fenboy

Very interesting….. we have a detachable swan neck type and they don’t work. anyone know if you can get extended versions of these to move the ball further out, would need to extend by about 50/70mm over a standard one to allow the tailgate to clear?? Or am i looking at either living with it or changing the tow bar??

5lab
    Free Member

I would be extremely warey of that sort of solution with any more than 1 bike on. You’re increasing the leverage on something that’s already a long way out and multiplying the twisting forces as a result

john_l
    Free Member

These are designed to carry MX bikes, but agreed – I wouldn’t want to load it up with a bunch of e-bikes.

DickBarton

Is the Halfords Advanced racks not just rebadged Thule gear? Genuine question as I think it is but don’t know…

Tailgate is quite a wide swing out so whatever you go for make sure it slides/swings far enough out the way for the tailgate to open.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

That Halfords one looks very Buzzrack to me. Defo not a rebadged Thule.

xcstu
    Free Member

Been considering this setup too with the kids bikes getting bigger.. strada was on my hit list but stock is hard to find and 2nd racks going for very strong money!!

mangoletse

T6.1 with Atera for me. When tilted forward the tailgate clears it by a whisker – so you have to make sure when unladen that the top tube holding arms are swivelled out of the way.
    Also, if you’re likely to be using plus sized tyres, it’s worth buying the extra long wheel straps. I’ve been using an old pair of toe straps but the proper straps are less faff

phil5556

Thule Velospace XT

DickBarton

I’ve an Atera Ebike ML rack (bought as it was wide enough gap between racks for the bikes) and it has a tilt. It doesn’t tilt far enough to open the boot on my Puggy Partner…but luckily I’ve a split lid so although I can’t open full tailgate, I can open the glass section, which works brilliantly.
    No idea if the bigger vans come with that option but it would help increase range of racks you could use.

spooky_b329

Another option is a simple drop plate for about a tenner, plus an extra set of bolts. Not recommended for towing but fine for a bike rack if the boot is clipping the rack low down.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘VW T5 Transporter with Tailgate – tow bar rack options?? Show me yours’ is closed to new replies.