Home Forums Chat Forum VW golf repairs: spring replacement cost?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • VW golf repairs: spring replacement cost?
  • Pook

how much should this be? my passenger front spring has broken this morning

mattyfez

Half an hour labour maybe a bit more of something is siezed plus cost of part, although if ones snapped it might be wise to get the other side done while your at it.

I’d get it done at an independent, as it’s a straight forward job and they normally charge a lot less for labour.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

Yeah, about £200 quid parts and labour around our way. Including 4 wheel alignment.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Had the driver side front spring done on our 64 plate golf last month. Less than £100 all in at local garage.

molgrips
    Free Member

Essential to get both done I’d say.  Straightforward job, needs doing, and DIY is a ballache without the tools.  Still mostly a ballache with them tbh.

bigyan
    Free Member

What model/year? Genuine parts of aftermarket?

Value for money if you cant do it yourself I would get an indy to fit a pair of pattern front springs (if you just replace one the chances are the ride height will be different side-side)

Top mounts may need replaced at the same time, captive nuts spun and I drilled out 2 of the bolts on the last one I did. Extra labour and parts if required.

Get a front tracking or a wheel alignment done afterwards (another reason for varying labour costs, just bang a spring on, spring and front tracking, or 4 wheel alignment.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Try here for a quote to get an idea.  Its a good idea to change both sides at the same time but if it was me I’d do the broken one then check the ride height before I doubled my bill for no need.

https://www.clickmechanic.com/

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Just Had Similar on a 2010 Civic.

Two springs. Two top mounts and an hours labour each side came to £240

bigblackshed

My mk4 was less than £200 per side with genuine spring.

If you go with aftermarket springs the ride height will be different, genuine springs less so.

Warning!!!! Have a look at the spring to check it’s not going to gouge the inside of the tyre.

bsims
    Free Member

Had mine done last June for £180 both sides. Could have got it done for less but it failed the MOT. If you get aftermarket springs make sure they are sport or standard (whichever you need). It can be hard to tell because the coiling can vary between brands and only show the ride height when the car is sitting on them.

Get a pair fitted, although I suspect a reputable company will not fit a single spring on a higher millage car.

I have been told that the OEM Sach springs are made for Sach not by them, someone may be able to confirm.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You don’t necessarily need to get both done, I had one go on a 4 yr old car, no change in the handling of the car from only doing one

bsims
    Free Member

That’s why I said millage. You may not notice under normal to spirited driving but when you load it up in an ‘oh shit!’ moment the difference between new and old may cause issues.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Still mostly a ballache with them tbh.

Don’t I know it, gave up trying to get the coils back onto the struts on my C8

Sachs make springs to manufacturers specs, was the only company I found making one suited to particular models rather than a scattergun approach.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘VW golf repairs: spring replacement cost?’ is closed to new replies.