Home Forums Chat Forum Volvo V60 owners to the forum

• This topic has 18 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Volvo V60 owners to the forum
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

My lease on my Civic is coming to an end and for various reasons I don’t fancy another lease.

Thinking of buying a 2011 V60 D3 from our local Volvo main stealer. It’s a 2011 with 80k on the clock.

Anything I should be looking at faults wise?

Cheers

5lab
    Free Member

the boot is bloody tiny

onewheelgood

That’ll be the old 5 cylinder D3. I have one with 98k. Nothing but standard service parts required so far, apart from one sensor that needed replacing at about 80k for a couple of hundred. Cam belt due at 108k – will cost £800. Economy is about the same as my old 2.7TDi A6, which was a bit disappointing. It’s quite a nice car, very comfortable, but handles like a pudding. The R-Design ones are a bit better in that regard.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cheers. It’s got a full Volvo history and will get a full service before I buy. 12 month warranty.

Never bought a car with a high(ish) mileage but I can’t find much on line about faults other than sensor failure

Even on the Volvo forums

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve the rdesign, turning circle of the QE2, cup holder in the way of the gearstick, handbrake miles away, lights always on and no warning beep if in any setting except “not actually off”, impossible to judge the size when parking, stupidly expensive wing mirror covers, lying fuel range, only warns you every 40k miles it needs a service, errrrr…

Only able to get replacement keys from a dealer, incredibly snooty dealers, stupid prices for everything, reverse tardis, incredibly wide roof, pisses washer fluid over cyclists 5L at a time.

Oh, no rear rack due to the glass boot.

Love it, incredibly comfy motorway muncher, awesome stereo, looks gorgeous (mines the press release red), really easy to service (Inc the easiest bulb replacement ever), can fit a spacer saver in the boot, floor folds flat all the way to the glovebox. Rdesign is nice to throw around corners too. Oh and doesn’t eat tyres, 40k miles on Bridgestone potenza’s and just about to require changing.

rmgvtec
    Free Member

I went from a 63 civic to a v40 fwiw and hated it. Got rid after 12 months. Look for another Honda.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Rmgvtec, can I ask why?

garage-dweller

@saccades forgive me but I don’t understand your post.

I’m not just asking casually as there are some good lease deals on the run out model that I’m looking at.

Does all that crap stuff not drive you up the pole? Is it really that good a cruiser and just how bad is the boot really?

Saccades
    Free Member

The first paragraph are niggles that genuinely niggle at me, the 2nd are ones that are inflated, only two dealers within about 100 miles for me.

The v60 is based on the Mondeo floorplan? Similar sized car but the boot entrance is smaller and less depth due to the flat floor. Tbf the Mondeo MK3 I had was a tardis.

I can get any of my bikes in the back with wheels on (do have to lock the forks down and drop the dropper on the biggest travel bike), it’s not small but it’s smaller than first impressions would suggest.

It is a phenomenal cruiser though, I drive shed loads and hated it until this car, it helps that I love how it looks but only on the shittiest mornings in winter do I wonder about my commute time and distance. Oh and the city driving thing has saved me twice too.

Hoping to get to about 250k then plan to get another, but this one with auto lights as 4 times I’ve flattened the battery (still original but I expect it to go this winter coming).

Flaperon

I have a previous generation V60 and just ordered the new one. Perfectly happy with it.

Try to get the D4 over the D3 which is quite asthmatic. Automatic gearbox is good, if you can find one with the driver support pack it makes motorway cruising easy. City Safety useful feature.

I can get two road bikes in the boot with the wheels on without difficulty. Turning circle could be better and the rear view camera is worth it too. Sat nav is OK but small screen.

Fuel economy not in the same league as VW (55mpg at 75mph). With winter tyres it ploughed through snow this year with no difficulty.

Flaperon

Addendum: I have the R-Design. Turning circle is frankly embarrassing. Designed for 21 inch wheels so they limit the steering angle.

onewheelgood

ignore flaperon, your D3 will not be asthmatic – it’s the newer ones that struggle. The old D3 has the same power as the current D4.

onewheelgood

On Saccades niggles: mine’s an auto so the cupholder/gearstick thing doesn’t affect me. The handbrake is a bit of a stretch, but it’s electronic so you only need it when you stop and it lets itself off when you drive off. Not really bothered about the lights – just leave them in auto mode. Any modern car need keys from dealers – it’s because of all the immobiliser electronics built in to them. Parts are more expensive than Ford, cheaper than BMW/Audi/Merc. Dealers are more snooty than Ford, less so than BMW/Audi/Merc. Roof isn’t wide compared to anything else in the class.

Mostly agree with his plus points, although mine has heated leather seats which don’t go flat to the glovebox. The headlight bulb replacement is fantastically easy, especially compared to an A6 (which Halfords ‘We Fit It’ service won’t touch). Mine doesn’t have a spare tyre, not even a space saver – again this depends on the spec.

I’ve kept mine for nearly 4 years/80k miles, so I guess that means I think it’s OK.

Saccades
    Free Member

I too have heated leather seats and they fold flat, there are two catches at the bottom of the seat at the back.

Pull seat to the back, depress catches and the front folds right down. Place the headrest under the glovebox as you push the seat forwards. I did it today as I moved some sleepers around.

I don’t have autolights and it did make me glum.

I’m still used to sticking the handbrake on at lights and there are a lot of steep hills so I’m not a massive fan of the handbrake being in another county.

onewheelgood

I too have heated leather seats and they fold flat, there are two catches at the bottom of the seat at the back.

Wow – so there are. Thanks for that!

Haze

So…been thinking about a V40, do these pros & cons roughly translate for anyone who has one?

db
    Free Member

I had a v60 D4 for 4 years and 100k miles.

Bad

needed new clutch, flywheel, and some cylinder? At about 90k. Volvo dealer (derby) just wound me up. After being recovered there for the 3rd time they said “we don’t build them!”. Whole attitude was wrong.

Good

used to drive 500miles and still feel fresh. The best seats in the business. More than enough power for me. Satnav etc just made sense, in spite of being non touch it was vastly better than the one in the Skoda I have now. Flat boot floor with the seats down.

would not have another due to the Volvo Derby dealer but on balance a miss the car.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Update, saw the car today but it was too scruffy. It didnt show it’s mileage very wellso a bit disapointed. Got a good deal on a nearly new V40 D2 instead. They even threw in a dog guard!!

Seems a bit more classy inside compared to the civic which feels a bit more plastic/rougher around the edges. So happy days.

CHB

We got a V40 a few months ago (to replace an XC90 with a chewed up engine!).

Ours is a D3 Lux Auto with the 2013 5 cylinder Volvo engine.

Loving the car so far (8000 miles in 4 months). The adaptive cruise is amazing, the engine has plenty of power and at 50mph it does nearly 70 to the gallon. On a run to London and back it will happily do around 55mpg on the 400 mile round trip. The boot opening isn’t great (not tried putting bikes in yet, but surely it must be bigger than my old Austin Metro and that coped!). Seats are epically comfy. Rear leg room not amazing for adults sat behind a 6 foot tall driver.

Ours had 22000 miles on a 2013 plate when I bought it, so crazy low miles. Plan is to keep it for many many more miles.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Volvo V60 owners to the forum’ is closed to new replies.