Home Forums Chat Forum Vivaro or Hiace? Experiences

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Vivaro or Hiace? Experiences
  • hora
    Free Member

Must be useable as a occassional ‘car’ too. I’d love a T5 but cant stretch to a 5yr old <90k version.

kilo

Used three or four Hiaces on various teams a few years ago, great vehilces. Never had any mechanical issues, comfortable, easy to drive and was, according to various motorway police units on the M1, good for about 110mph. Very underated.
    I’d have one now in an instant if I was after a bigger van. No idea about mpg or that boring stuff though

bone_idle
    Free Member

I had a vivaro crew for 5 years it was quite reliable 1 electrical fault and 1 airflow meter, but the build quality was crap everything rattled, the inside door panels would come lose every few days so would the tailgate panel just felt cheap which it was. I would’nt buy another, I go Toyota if it was my money.

I had a T4 before and loved it, still miss it now.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Used to drive a Hiace to deliver fruit and veg as a job. that meant pretty much all day in it – comfortable, easy to drive, in fact handled like a car. high mileage but never really off the road. Not sure about the 110 mph claim, but definitely not loaded, speed dropped substantially when loaded (fruit and veg). Still driveable though.
    If I was looking for a van a Hiace would be my first choice.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at a similar idea Hora, for a lonnnggg while now. I’ve came to the concluson that the Vivaro is too big for my needs (riding buddy has one) and it’s a straight shoot out between a hiace and Merc Vito.
    Not too big, 3 seats (married with one kid), both drive pretty well too. Hiace diesel engines seem to run forever, from what I can tell the newer vito’s don’t have the rust issues that older models did, and the auto gearbox gets really good reviews too.

I’d basically want it for –

– Biking, obviously – ability to fire a wet manky bike in the back and not farking about with seats down/bike rack etc
    – Shooting away on a friday night myself, sleep, early ride then home
    – as a 2nd car
    – Events such as puffer etc.

My current preference is the vito tbh, but I’d take either in good condition.

hora
    Free Member

+1 Thats me/my background/brief too

alexpalacefan

Got a Hiace, it was parked next to a Vivaro the other day, looked quite a bit smaller.

I use it as a daily driver (it’s our only vehicle), as a camper van and for the occasional night of stealth camping.

Seems nice enough to drive, although a little engine noise over a car.

I’d have another like a shot.

APF

flanagaj
    Free Member

I had an old HiAce Powervan as my weekend windsurf van. It was sluggish and lacked power, but from a reliability perspective could not be faulted. I could leave it for nearly 6 months without starting it and it would always fire up first time.

Not aesthetically pleasing on the eye (unlike the Aussie HiAce), but a true work horse of a vehicle.

hora
    Free Member

Where to buy from though?

Its a minefield. Alot seem to be tired interiors yet magically low..miles or stellar miles.

Anywhere that sells nearly new on deals?!

chewkw
    Free Member

This is the favourite in the far east as mini bus … it’s a rocket! 😯

It’s a 5th generation Hiace but I don’t think they are sold in EU or UK … not sure why … emission?

redstripe
    Free Member

I’ve had 4 Hiaces since the 90’s, much better value than VW’s of similar age and always reliable. The old 2.4’s are slow, the latter post 2002 2.5 D4D engine is much better performance wise particularly the 102 or 120 versions. MPG around 25-35 depending how you drive, but runs much better amd smoother on posh diesel. 110 mph dubious, more like sitting at 80 fine and a tad more down hill with wind behind you, not that you ever really need to or can do that in this country. I used to buy Reed or Versa converted disabled minibus ones with removable seats so good for both family, bikes and work use and they tended to be low mileage with service records. I’d have another no problem but a knackered left foot meant auto so finally gave in and became a sheep going down the T5 DSG route…
    My family think the T5 is cooler but I still secretly prefer the Hiace. I did think about a later new shape auto imported 3.0 diesel Granvia (Grand Hiace) which look fine, but pretty rare and quite dear via dealers and got pressurised to go T5.
    I really like the look of the newer oz spec Hiaces too – wonder what it would cost to import one.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I Have an 08 Vivaro and its spot on. I would recommend getting 1 with a decent KW as mine can be a bit flat on its 90 KW engine. Although it usually has 500Kg in the back.

hora
    Free Member

Redstripe Im very ‘Japanese’-centered when it comes to cars. I’d love a T5 but Hi ace looks ‘cool’ to me in a weird way

schmiken

I’ve also got an 08 Vivaro – very comfy and easy to drive, though watch out for the (known) injector issue.

redstripe
    Free Member

Hora, me too, if Honda made auto vans this size as well I’d get one. If you can get one of the last 2010-2012 UK Hiaces in 120 engine they are better specced with aircon, electric windows, decent stereo and nicer updated interior front area. I thought about a Proace but no auto and I think they are rebadged PSA things really.
    If you need it to be a crew van, budget a grand for a decent conversion or do it yourself if you have the skills. Will still be 30-40% cheaper than a similar aged t5 which will probably have much higher mileage and plenty of things that have gone wrong with it or will soon.
    That said, just back from touring France in our t5 and it was fine, there must have been 20+ of them on the ferry back, baaa
    It cost more, I needed an auto, but I guess when I flog it it will be worth proportionally more still

timber

I had a 2002 Hiace LWB with the higher output D4D engine a few years ago. Drove a lot of vans for work back then and it was so comfy compared to all the others, just a bit noisy in the cabin as someone else mentioned.
    You probably won’t find a low mileage one as they go and go until they rot through. Only parts mine consumed was bushings, but that only stood out as they were the only thing beyond consumables.
    Loaded or empty, same speed everywhere. Not great on fuel, but it’s a van.
    About T4 sized, if I wanted a medium size van again, I’d get another, to hell with the looks or being scene.

Edit – and you can drift them, try that in a T5 or Vivaro.

P20

I looked at Vivaro, VW, Vito, Hyundai.
    Couldn’t afford a sensible mileage VW with aircon. After driving to Spain a few years ago, I’m not giving up on aircon.
    Vito, nice to drive, but put off by RWD.
    Hyundai, well spec’d but RWD and seemingly not great on fuel.
    Bought a Vivaro Swb. 60 with aircon, no vat 50k for £7500. It’s my daily drive. We’ve had for about 10months, covered over 10000miles. Really happy with it. Averages about 37mpg. It’s only got basic racking in it and the leisure battery is going in next week. The bikes stay in it, we’ll be in the the tent

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha surfers we call them chewk.

One of the Worst (new) vehicles ive ever driven. Absolutely hate them , the rear is also deceptively small. And suspension harsh , didnt seem to care if it was loaded. Also has super short gears so felt like i was always changing gear…. Quick off the mark , shit top end always seemed to be doing about 4000rpm.

The hyundai i400 ?? Van is a nice place to be except for its as noise as hell , some engine noise mostly road noise.

hammerite
    Free Member

We’ve had a Vivaro for a couple of years. Use it pretty much as a car day to day, but used for bike duties, holidays etc… We got it to replace an ageing estate car, which was going to cost an awful lot more had we bought new (like we did with the Vivaro). We went for the LWB with crew cab (saves 3 of us squeezing in the front), bikes go in front to back with nothing needing to be taken off.

Just done 3k miles around various mountainous parts of Europe in all weathers laden with holiday kit and bikes and it’s been pretty much perfect.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Vivaro or Hiace? Experiences’ is closed to new replies.