Home Forums Chat Forum Using National Trust of Scotland membership in England – free parking?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Using National Trust of Scotland membership in England – free parking?
  • convert

In laws are getting a National Trust membership for their 50th wedding anniversary.

They live in England but we have one foot in Scotland. Default advice used to be to buy the Scottish version as it is cheaper than the English and the benefits are mutually exclusive (English members can visit Scottish attractions and vice versa) and that still seems to be the case – 20 odd quid cheaper.

But…..anyone with a Scottish membership have first hand knowledge if you can still park in fee paying NT England car parks for free with your Scottish membership? I think most have gone new fangled bar code scanning rather than just a car sticker.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Most have moved to the scanning, the few sticker ones will be phasing out. Given that my success rate with the machines is about 50% with the English membership and that I’ve seen those same machines cheerfully issue tickets to expired cards I’d not hold much hope of the Scottish one being better and I’d not take anyone’s experience as a real indicator either.

I’d contact either or and ask if it should work…

Cougar

I’m pretty sure it’s reciprocal, and I’m certain this is all documented on NT’s website. I CBA to google it but there’s a page detailing all the reciprocal agreements between the various factions (or at least, there used to be).

Also, last I looked, New Zealand membership was considerably cheaper than England / Scotland, if you want to game the system. EDIT: it looks like they’ve closed that loophole now.

convert

ahh – to answer my own question…..

How do National Trust for Scotland members park at National Trust properties with parking charges?

In all instances where parking barriers are enforced, these will be manned and you can show your membership card. While you won’t be able to scan your card in the NT ticket machines, you’ll still be able to park for free as long as you have your valid car parking sticker displayed on your vehicle. We’re currently working with the National Trust on a more permanent solution and we’ll update all our members once we have this finalised.

So sounds fine but a little bit of a fiddle. Maybe. Maybe an OAP cautious never wants to break the rules sized fiddle.

I was wrong on the money saved – even bigger. The NT England senior rate is only valid once you have 5 years of membership to your name. NT Scotland senior membership is valid once one of you is over 60. So £78 plays £120 pa – a no brainer really.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Using National Trust of Scotland membership in England – free parking?’ is closed to new replies.