Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • USB-C seat-mount rear lights out yet?
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Currently have an Xlite 100, happy with it but it’s micro USB:

The closest I’ve found with USB-C is XLitET from the same manufacturer, but I’d like something smaller that stays nested between the seatposts.

fd

fd

stumpy01

USB-C to micro-USB adaptor for charging it?

yohandsome
    Free Member

Yes that’s what i use but prefer not to fiddle with an adapter, not the end of the world of course but would be sweet to get everything over to usb c..

Superficial
    Free Member

Micro USB is so un-ergonomic. I avoided it for years with iPhones but seem to have a collection of (microUSB) bike lights that annoy me every.single.time. I go to charge them.

So yeah, I’d like a back light with USB-C and ≥ 8 hour battery life please.

Daffy

Contact USE and ask them if they’d be willing to put a USB-C port on to a TracerR. Assuming it’s the same size and a port with similar connections is available, I can’t see it being a problem.

Find your local electrical repairs place and see if they can do something similar to your current light.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Contact USE and ask them if they’d be willing to put a USB-C port on to a TracerR. Assuming it’s the same size and a port with similar connections is available, I can’t see it being a problem.

The usb-c connector is quite a bit wider, so unfortunately I doubt it would work needs to be designed for it ground up.

tthew

Those little round X-lites are da bomb. I’ve got a couple of them, the only thing you have to be careful of is long jackets or low bags obscuring them. I’ll put up with the micro USB connection.

Do they still come with the typo in the instructions about operating the front bottom? 😮

yohandsome
    Free Member

Do they still come with the typo in the instructions about operating the front bottom? 😮

Don’t have my instructions, probably! They’ve made a newer cubelight btw, smaller and brighter allegedly with a more practical clip on mount, no usb-c though.

fd

Rockbros has something of an upgraded version of the round Xlite with charge light indicators and a better seat rail attachment plus some other stuff

fdf

jkomo

I mangled a micro USB port on an exposure link. Luckily they can actually repair them, £15 as well, amazing service.

yohandsome
    Free Member

I asked ENFITNIX and they are working on a USB-C Xlite100 🙂

fd

Daffy

I’ve just got one of those cubelights to test. It’s nice, with nice features but is SUBSTANTIALLY less bright than my TraceR. I’m going to keep it as an auto light on the commuter and the clip is handy for running.

yohandsome
    Free Member

I’ve just got one of those cubelights to test. It’s nice, with nice features but is SUBSTANTIALLY less bright than my TraceR.

So the latest traceR has a 700 ma battery, outputs 75 lm or 120 lm when braking. In 75 lm mode you get 6 hours of blinking, in the lowest light setting (how many lm?) 24 hours.

fe

Cubelight II 400 ma battery, 30 lm output, 30 hours runtime when blinking, auto start stop. More convenient for a commuter.

Rockbros Q5 claim 60 lm and 50 hour battery life..

yohandsome
    Free Member

TraceR says output is linearly proportional to runtime, so you may get 19 lm for 24 hours in the lowest power blinking mode or 38 lm for 12 hours in the second mode.

tthew

75 lumens is mad for a rear light! A couple lights with a mix of steady and flashing at different heights is most effective I find, especially in towns where there’s a lot of other light sources to blend in to.

The automatic operation function is useless if your light spends significant time in the back of a van, it’s always flat when you need it.

stumpy01

I’ve got a Tracer – no idea what Mk it is, but it is flippin’ bright.

I rarely use it in it’s brightest mode (it has 3 brightness modes). I tend to run it in the middle mode, as it gives a reasonable runtime – 6hrs constant & 12 flashing. I tend to leave it on flashing, which is more of a constant light with pulse.

I also run a Moon rear light that I can never remember the name of – Pulsar (after looking it up).
    It is not as bright, but has a long LED strip & because it takes AAA batteries the battery life is much longer. I think it’s something like 60hrs on low & 40 on high.

I figure that a mix of these two should be safe in terms of having a battery run-out/fail.

From a part lifetime point of view, I prefer the idea of AAA batteries compared to fixed batteries inside the device. I just buy some decent rechargeables at the time of buying them; although it is a little bit less convenient.
    I have an old Cateye that I actually charged the batteries of last night – and thinking about it, I must have bought it sometime around ’99/2000. It has old skool LEDs, rather than COB LEDs; 5 in a row, individual dots of light. Still bright & going strong.

martinhutch

What’s with the ‘automatic braking detection’ feature on those lights – is it useful and can you disable it?

yohandsome
    Free Member

TraceR does not however have any plans to implement USB C.. See how good the future Xlite usb-c will be..

footflaps

75 lumens is mad for a rear light!

I run my Giant TL-200 on 200 lumen flash for day running. Lasts 6 hours at that setting.

micro-USB though and not seat rail mounted.

Daffy

200 lumens is far too much for a rear light. 75 is already retina burningly bright. I had a Hope District which i had to sell as when it was on the bike, anyone following you was effectively blind, so actually dangerous as a rear light.

footflaps

I’ve been riding with it in groups on murky days for months and no blinded riders so far….

chowsh
    Free Member

Just saw this on Amazon USB c charging rear light.

whatgoesup

I’ve got a TraceR – it’s crazy bright on full and is plain dangerous on dark country roads in that mode – the car behind is blinded at worst and annoyed at best.

It is however brilliant as a daytime light in flashing mode – I think that’s what it’s really for.

What is more useful for night riding in the countryside is a larger surface area light, and I’ve yet to find a great one.

Oh, and back to the OP’s question – if anyone knows of a good light that avoids the horrible Micro usb in favour of usb c I’m all ears!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Someone in the club has an Exposure red-eye.

I was surprised to google it and find it’s ‘only’ 80 lumens, you can’t ride behind him as it doesn’t just ruin your night vision, but leaves spots! It’s actually painful if you catch it head-on.

The same rider insists on more is also better upfront too with a big max-d/6-pack sized light on the bars and joystick on the helmet, oncoming car’s stop and give way on 2-lane roads as you can’t see past him!

footflaps

Oh, and back to the OP’s question – if anyone knows of a good light that avoids the horrible Micro usb in favour of usb c I’m all ears!

The camera lights fly-6 and fly-12 are USB-C.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Got the Rockbros light, substantial improvement over the xlite100

– stronger output perhaps 30%
    – more flash modes
    – better ui (don’t need to unscrew to change modes)
    – battery life indicator
    – better mounting (no zip ties)

yohandsome
    Free Member

Did a quick semi-scientific test of the Rockbros vs the Cubelite ii

Google Pixel 3 XL with 6 lumen background measured 24 cm from sensor, level.
    Entfinix Cubelite ii 17 blink 86 brake lumen
    Rockbros smartlight 21 blink 260 brake lumen (+23% and +300%)

The strength of the blinking light is comparable, but the brake light on the rockbros unit is 3 times more intense.

jamiebkc

Not wanting to start a new thread, I saw a cyclist with a rear light that throbbed between high and low settings rather than blinking, and it was the most noticeable light I’d seen in ages, didn’t get an opportunity to ask him what it was but would be keen to know if anyone here has one.

yohandsome
    Free Member

The rockbros light has a breathing mode where it goes gradually one and off and a faster pulsed blinking mode, which one was it?

Daffy

@yohandsome – Might I ask where you bought it from?

Also, how trigger happy is the brake function? I’ve noticed on the cubelight it can trigger when it’s just bumpy, rather than when actually braking. My Exposure never seems to do this.

yohandsome
    Free Member

@Daffy – Sure I bought mine from aliexpress with delivery from spain (just a few days cost a few bucks), it’s the newer model with a black button.

Inadvertently tested their brake light triggering when comparing their relative output, just shaking the Rockbros Q5 did NOT trigger the brake light but on the bike it works perfectly, the Cubelite II would trigger too easily like you mentioned.

The Q5 has a better lens, 3x stronger brake light, more useful modes, more precise battery life indicator (4 steps), better mounting system and brake sensing so I’m returning the Cubelite.

Review of the Q5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SanLQ2bWfj0

MrSmith
    Free Member

i noticed one of those xl100 lights at commute time, it looked bright but not too bright and it’s flashing was enough to get my attention but not annoying, asked the chap who had it on his bike what it was as i thought “i want one of those”
    expected them to be more expensive.

yohandsome
    Free Member

i noticed one of those xl100 lights at commute time, it looked bright but not too bright and it’s flashing was enough to get my attention but not annoying, asked the chap who had it on his bike what it was as i thought “i want one of those”
    expected them to be more expensive.

Had the Xlite 100 and it’s not bad but the Rockbros Q5 is way better (and twice the price), also with regard to the user interface.

Daffy

@yohandsome

Thanks – ordered but from China (no stock with saddle mounts in Spain). It’s hard to argue with 2 lights for €24 shipped from the otherside of the world. Well, economically at least.

stayhigh

@daffy Have you got a link for where you ordered from please as my google fu is weak tonight.

yohandsome
    Free Member

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000074337087.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.7c1320c8dbfh1I I see you can get it from China w only seat mount for $16, and from spain with seat and seatpost mount for $26 which is delivered within a week.

spicer
    Free Member

I just bought one of these RockBros ones. Does anyone know if spare mounts are available anywhere? It’d be good to have the mounts on a few bikes to I can switch the light easily

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I bought one of these Q5 lights but it seems very underpowered to me. I notice there seems to be two different versions (at least)…

Mine looks like this and doesn’t seem very bright (less than those old 1/2 watt smart AA powered LED lights)

Whereas some others look like this with some exciting looking cooling fins

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Btw – pictures of both are on the same aliexpress link above. Seem to be used interchangeably

GeForceJunky

I purchased 3 from that seller, all without ridges. Very impressed so far, everyone in the riding group has said how tidy they look. Brake light occasionally seems to go off over bumps, but generally works very well. They sell the mount only Spicer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.