Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Upright Bike storage on a sliding mechanism thing?
  • walowiz

need to revisit bike storage in the shed. Too many bikes and not enough space.

so I’m think of installing this overhead bike storage slidy stuff, once I find out the details. Again.

was sure I’d bookmarked it all ages ago, but apparently not, I think I’d used the STW favourites – or something that’s not used anymore.

I recall there was a thread way back in time, where there was an ingenious sliding rack system thing being discussed.

Anyone got any links / installed it / use it / recommend it ?

colournoise

Stashed Spacerail?

walowiz

That’s the sort of thing. Just not £160 +

tthew

There was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago,  which also had links to an older one.

Sliding vertical bike rack

You’ll not get anything decent for less than 160 quid unless it involves a lot of DIY I’d suggest.

Edit- unless that’s £160 per bike, then yeah, that’s going to mount up.

mtbfix

A friend has the Buller system. It works really well. Lacks the polish of the Stashed system but provides sliding hooks for about as cheap as you could self build.

frogstomp

This thread has links to some DIY options.

llama

I made one based on the sliding gate hardware. It was better by far than anything I’d used before, and not too expensive, cost maybe 150 all in for 8 bikes.

But garage renovation time meant update to a Stashed system. It’s better again in that it slides more easily, has bumpers on the runners, and rotates to alternate the bars, so you can really easily squish the bikes into a small space. Cost about 300 more than DIY and a lot less time.

Ogg

I built mine from track and hangers from the https://www.rollingcenter.co.uk/

bikerack

Comparing the systems for 8 bikes mine cost ~£215 all in

• 80Z Rail £34
    • Carriages £9 x 8
    • Ceiling support £10 x 3
    • Park tools 450 threaded Hooks £5 x 8 (hard to find in the UK though – someone else here bought wood threaded ones and recut the thread)
    • Rail delivery was £35

Buller system is very similar though more expensive £330

Stashed system works out very expensive for 8 bikes £600

mjsmke

Wooden handrail or similar, and some hooks?

Probably cost less than £50

In a wooden shed it should be easy to install and could just use bits of wood from the floor to the rail at each end to support it.

5lab

Is it a faff getting bikes on and off the hooks? Getting them onto a north shore car rack is a bit of a ballache

walowiz

@tthew thanks – that’s perfect. There was another older thread on this, but the one linked in the post will do the job. 

Prices have come down a little on this stuff, so may buy a kit now, as From memory there were some on Amazon linked to in a thread.

The stashed or buller kit looks good to be fair.

nedrapier

I did very similar to OGG, bought mine from here: https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/sliding-door-gear

I wanted to make the best of the space in a garage, so I hung mine from some burly twinslot uprights and brackets from Spur shelving, put a shelf above and used these hooks: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Large-Garage-Hooks-Storage-Organizing/dp/B07SX6G3MY , with the top of the bracket bent to 45degrees and bolted onto the carriage/hanger. Keeps the tyre closest to the rail so I could have the shelf as low as possible for more space above, and still keep the back wheel off the floor.

PXL_20240129_101938993

gordimhor

@Ogg Not sure whether Ì’m most jealous of the size of your shed orthe number of bikes.
    Storage system also looks tidy

nedrapier

missed the edit window.  bolt chopped on the most critical hanger, plus some rise added to the hook.

Is it a faff getting bikes on and off the hooks?

Not really, hands on bars, knee on saddle.  bit like getting your bike on an uplift trailer, but you’re only concentrating on the front wheel.  Most annoying on mine is when the hooks spin round, but some blutack could (will!) fix that.

Ogg

@gordimhor there’s four cyclists in the house they are not all mine 🙂 

walowiz

I hadn’t seen the other replies when I finally replied.

I can’t afford the 500 squid for the stashed 8 bike ceiling bundle. I’m sure it’s luverly, but too rich for me just to hang my bikes on.
    The buller one is better value, but still 350+ or so once you factor in the need for 4 of the hooks that take 2.4” plus tyres.

@Ogg
    that system you’ve got looks ideal and better for my lacklustre budget. And eight bikes too, nice

@nedrapier
    that looks good, similar to the rolling centre one.

What’s the big advantage of the buller or stashed system that kind of justifies the extra outlay ?

nwgiles

For building your own,

https://www.rollingcenter.co.uk/search/products?q=s80z

or

https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/sliding-door-gear/sliding-door-gear-accessories

Both have everything you need, although I bought the hooks from Buller as I couldn’t find the normal size park ones in stock anywhere

walleater

I don’t know if this is relevant to the UK in terms of product names / availability but this was on NSMB yesterday:

https://nsmb.com/articles/gear-blocks-sliding-bicycle-rack-system/

the00
    Free Member

I bought the Stashed system. I know I could have sourced the parts, cut the pieces and made my own, but I didn’t have the spare time. It’s nice. The hooks have a sprung loaded stopper, so they only roll when there is a little weight on them. The hooks also allow the bikes to be spun, which I don’t really need either. Functionally a scaffold pole and some hooks is 85% as good. But if in the same situation again I would still just buy a kit. It’s well made, well finished and with good instructions and support from a company who seem to take pride in doing things right.

zomg

I’ve run out of garage space at ~13 bikes so have been considering putting up some unistrut channel and perhaps making hanging trolleys from ply with bearings for wheels to hang the bikes. There are some YouTube videos where people have DIY’d convincing storage and it looks very space-efficient.

gordimhor

Ogg

@gordimhor
    there’s four cyclists in the house they are not all mine 🙂

Ah well it’s now definitely the size of your shed Ì’m jealous of 🙂

walowiz

@zomg 13 bikes – respect.

Hanging trolleys ? Like the garment hanging trolleys? Intriguing.

I have a 2.2 metre space, 8 bikes to go in it and I’ve got to make a self supporting frame for it, likely out of wood.

the unistrut stuff looks interesting.

watched a vid on the stashed system and it does look bloody effective.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

I’ve also used hardware from the rolling centre.

Ordered a 3M section of the monorail and then used the 4RCF small carriage holders.  Then purchased the park threaded hangers with some 8mm thread couplers to fix the hooks to the carriages.

[url=https://keyboardtester.co/keyboard-tester]dell laptop keyboard sticking[/url]

walowiz

@wilsonthecat that is impressive and sets the gold standard for bike storage / turbo room / man cave

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

@walowiz thanks! It’s been a good investment. A warm clean space with decent lighting makes all the difference

walowiz

Right, going to order this from the rolling centre – over the weekend.

does anyone have a parts list of what they ordered – save me getting it completely wrong 🙂 @Ogg ?

One of my bikes is a not very light full fat eBike, will one of these take the 24kg ?

Ogg

The max load for the 450 park tools hooks is 20kg…. So you’ll probably need the 470XX hook for a fat bike max load of 25kg

walowiz

Thanks @Ogg much appreciated and thanks for the heads up on the hook, that I wouldn’t necessarily have spotted.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.