Home Forums Bike Forum Tyres. I want to try them all, but I know it doesn’t make any sense

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tyres. I want to try them all, but I know it doesn’t make any sense
    bikesandboots

Anyone else like this? I don’t know why. It’s just tyres, not any other components. And I’m already happy with my current tyres.

I’m not actually doing it (other than when one is worn out or damaged) as it’s too expensive, and I don’t have the time to properly compare.

I have a list in my notes app of ones to try sometime and others to avoid eg due review comments or some reasoning of my own like being too conditions-specific. I even started this thread to try and make sense of what’s similar in the different brands https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/equivalent-or-similar-tyres-in-different-brands/

If a bike shop near some good trails did a tyre demo service where you could try a couple over the course of a day, I’d probably be willing to pay a bit of money and a damage deposit. Although that does sound like something riders might think they want then never actually turn up if someone offered it.

By trying different stuff, for clarity I mean comparing similar models, different variants, or completely different stuff like XC/downcountry tyres or mud spikes.

fossy

You can’t always tell. No expert on MTB, but I’ll only notice from a more XC tyre to an enduro type – rolling vs much better grip – I opt for the better grip, especially off camber.

Road tyres, I can feel it more, but I care less now (long time road cyclist). Robust tyres roll less well, and are a bit dull in feel. Better ones do indeed roll better and feel better and ‘sing’ with the light inner tubes, but are prone to holes.

But compound to compound on a similar tyre, you’d have to be pushing them far to notice. The carcase will make a difference for DH etc. on robustness.

markspark
    Free Member

Can’t remember the last time I repeat bought the same tyres, always like to try something new. Never schwalbe though, don’t want their ridiculous names in massive letters on my bike, don’t care how good they may be

scotroutes

Away from tyres specifically, I’m usually pretty open to trying new (sometimes niche) products. I’ve tried various handlebar shapes and sizes, wheel and tyre sizes, bikepacking bags, pedals, grips and so on – even tents, tarps, stoves and so on. Some I stick with, some just get moved on after a wee while, though I do try to give them a decent “testing” interval. Part of it is if you don’t try it all, how do you know you’ve currently got the best setup? 

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Magic Mary front, with Rock Razor (dry conditions), or Hans Dampf (wet conditions) rear (is all you will ever need)*.

The ridiculous names in big letters instantly make you 167% more rad.

You can thank me later.

*In the STW tradition of recommending ;)

bikesandboots

But compound to compound on a similar tyre, you’d have to be pushing them far to notice. The carcase will make a difference for DH etc. on robustness.

Compound contributes more to rolling resistance than carcass I believe, and I do notice that when pedalling. Descending I notice the difference between hardish and medium/soft, but I doubt I would to ultra soft unless it was on maybe wet rock.

I’ve tried various handlebar shapes and sizes, wheel and tyre sizes, bikepacking bags, pedals, grips and so on – even tents, tarps, stoves and so on.

I’ve done handlebar backsweeps and grips, well worth it and you can sell them as one ride old as that’s enough to figure them out.

Part of it is if you don’t try it all, how do you know you’ve currently got the best setup?

Absolutely. If I hadn’t tried other things I’d still be on 8 degree backsweep bars and DMR DeathGrips.

It’s one reason why I’m skeptical of forum recommendations. Most people haven’t tried many other comparable things especially recently. I see a few recommendations for things proper journalist testers have low opinions of.

reeksy

If I hadn’t tried other things I’d still be on 8 degree backsweep bars

It annoys me that there’s so few options for 12-16 degree backsweep bars.

scotroutes

I see a few recommendations for things proper journalist testers have low opinions of.

Ah, that’s another thing. I don’t read “proper journals” and rely on testing things out for myself, or based on the opinions of other folk that I know have similar tastes / interests to myself.

Northwind

Oh god yeah, I’m a tyre addict. I mean, it’s just a part of the hobby I enjoy, always thinking about those little differences and trying to get it <just right>. Even when I hit one that I think stands out- like, the shorty and dhr2 maxxgrips, the conti argotal, the rockrazor- I still always think “OK so let’s go one better”.

13thfloormonk

Tyres no, I’m pretty content with Terreno Dry on the gravel bike and GP5000 on the road bike. I could probably go lighter or more supple than the Terreno but I imagine that would just result in more punctures, I’m heavy on my tyres!

Part of it is if you don’t try it all, how do you know you’ve currently got the best setup?

This is exactly the trap I’ve fallen into with saddles! I thought I had found my perfect saddle (Fizik Antares) but then took a few months off the bike and it’s all change again, now on Terra Argo on the gravel bike which is a fundamentally different sort of saddle, and experimenting with an Aliante on the road bike. I shudder to think how much I might have spent on saddles in the last couple of years, but at least can recoup 60-70% of cost second hand…

qwerty
    Free Member

I like simple tyre ranges, Maxxis confuses me so much I’ll likely never buy them, currently on Bontrager tyres.

* and I won’t buy tyres you need a mortgage for.

Yak

I am a bit tyre curious, but not to the extent that I will spend a fortune on trying then all. But I will pick up secondhand tyres for the purpose of trying something new. There’s always folk clearing out tyre stashes.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Interesting Maxxis comment. I feel I understand the Maxxis MTB range pretty well but trying to translate that to Schwalbe has always put me off

Maybe the new (semi) radial tyres will sort that

BadlyWiredDog

Anyone else like this?

A bit, but I figure that most decent tyres have capabilities that most average riders probably aren’t going to exceed in suitable conditions for the tyre, so I’m not overly worried. Once I’ve found a combination that works for me, I’ll just repeat buy, but maybe with the occasional speculative wander into other territory.

For ages, for me, that meant DHFs up front and something faster and less grippy out back. That got thrown a bit because there is no 29’x2.4 DHF, but mostly thant’s how I roll. Tyres are so expensive now, that swapping anything that broadly works for the latest spangly tread seems a bit mad. It doesn’t mean I’m not fussy – I am – or curious, I am too, but I’m not about to try ‘everything’.

If Maxxis would just make a 29 x 2.4 DHF I could run that with a Rock Razor on the back and be broadly happy. I’m sure there are other ‘better’ combos, but in the real world, I think it would make relatively little difference to me. YMMV.

chakaping

Anyone else like this? I don’t know why. It’s just tyres, not any other components. And I’m already happy with my current tyres.

*raises hand*

I always seem to find something new to try out.

But I’ll caveat that with tyre inflation (geddit?) has modified my buying to exclude the most fashionable/pricey brands – so I’ve not tried the new Contis and don’t get many Maxxis these days.

Tyres currently in use (or part-used waiting to go back on) across my bikes include: Schwalbe, WTB, Spesh, Michelin, Onza, Maxxis and a brand called Terrene.

weeksy

But I’ll caveat that with tyre inflation (geddit?) has modified my buying to exclude the most fashionable/pricey brands – so I’ve not tried the new Contis

Considering how you ride, i find it slightly bonkers that you’ve not ridden what’s arguably the best tyres on the market.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I stick with what I’m comfortable with – run a combo of High Rollers/Minions/lately Assegai for literally decades now. Tried Schwalbe on a bike for a few weeks once and just didn’t gel with them – amazing how very different they felt. Not just me either – big group of mates all ride Maxxis tyres I think.

mmannerr

I have tested over 50 tyres and in retrospect most are quite bad.

Manufacturers often claim superior performance due new rubber compounds and yet after some wear it becomes evident that in some tyres grip has come clever block shapes instead.
    Credit where it is due, tyre carcasses seem to have been really developed over last few years.

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

This is me hands down. I do my own head in pondering what to use.

Rear tyre I’ve kind of settled on a dhr2 or kryptotal rear but I have just bought a high roller 3 to try over winter.

Front, I used to be a magic Mary ultrasoft fan boy, but found that the assegai maxxgrip is better in the dry and shorty maxxgrip better in the wet. But you get times when it’s a mix of both. Magic Mary is brilliant for mixed conditions but I do prefer maxxgrip double down casing so I’ve got a high roller 3 on order to try, but should I try argotal?! And then my friend raved on about the Michelin DH22 so should I try this… it never ends!

The problem (or not) is that there is so many good tyres now.

kelvin

Maxxis confuses me so much I’ll likely never buy them

I feel the opposite. All those options are essential, because we all ride in different places, in different ways, on different bikes.

I’m one of the “big volume light sidewall grippy rubber wide spaced” people… whereas others need faster rolling but heavy duty sidewalls…. or grippy but smaller volume… or wide spaced but faster compound… and all the various combos in between. Throw in the British seasons… and there’s a time and place for all of the options.

chiefgrooveguru

Convert to Specialized tyres here – T7 for the back or less wet conditions, T9 for the front, Grid Trail casings (plus inserts much of the time), 2.3/2.4″ (actual) width, cut spike style up front, intermediate rear. Riding mostly natural trails with lots of mud and wet roots when it’s wet, or unpredictable loose over hard when it’s dry means that there’s no such thing as a perfect tyre. Nowadays I tend to blame the wrong tyre pressure rather than the tyre when I’m struggling (or I just blame me!)

chakaping

Considering how you ride, i find it slightly bonkers that you’ve not ridden what’s arguably the best tyres on the market.

Thanks for the flattering inference, but I’m just an average mid-pack kind of rider – and as Gav said:

The problem (or not) is that there is so many good tyres now.

I feel like most of the tyres I’ve got are more than “good enough” for me now. For example, the cheap Spesh tyres in T9 are right up there for wet or dry conditions (they lack a great mixed option though) — and I don’t think there’s a better all rounder than the WTB Verdict.

Inserts have made a big difference too, as I used to pick tyres much more on whether they were likely to get holed or not.

I’m sure I’ll get round to Conti at some point though :D

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.