Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Two Ring Set-ups
  • GhostRider
    Free Member

I've already put an SLX two ring (22/36) and bash on one bike and it works great cause the bikes a bit fat and dosn't need the big ring.

After recently destroying a big ring within half an hour on the XC at Innerliethan i want to go two ring on this bike also. Concern is that this bike's a bit lighter and the 44 ring does make sense at times, but i want to keep the 22 granny ring.

So what is the maximum difference between chain rings you can get away with ? will 22/38 work or even 22/40 ? My front mech's an XT but would an SLX two ring front mech be better or even a road mech? i know some 2 ring road cranks can have quite a big differnce between the rings.

soobalias
    Free Member

ive always tried to stick to a 14t jump, but know of people who run more without problems.

what about upping the granny to a 24 or 26 and sticking a 34t cassette on the back to retain a low gear.

have a play with sheldon browns gear inch calculator.

RealMan
    Free Member

I hear the rule of thumb is no more then 16 tooth gap.

I just spent a week in the alps with a 25lbs ht with a 26 and 38, 11/32 on the back. Perfect.

clubber
    Free Member

Have you got a 34 on your cassette or are you on a 32? If you're on a 32 then you could swap to a 34 and get a bigger granny ring for better shifting.

I use 24/36 (following SRAM's theory on 1:1.5 ratio for the chainring sizes) and 11-34 which gives me the full range that I actually need offroad

GhostRider
    Free Member

The cassette's a 34 and still has life in it so i wouldn't change it but upping the 22 to something else probably makes more sense, just means i loose the comfort blanket of my "easy" gear. 24/38 now sounding a better option.

clubber
    Free Member

Are you sure you really need the 38?

36/11 is the equivalent of a 44 and 13.4 – eg it's between the 14 and the 13. (38 is between the 12 and 13)

Do you often use the top two sprockets with your 44 when offroad? and if you do, would you really lose anything if you didn't have them (eg you'd just have to freewheel a bit more).

njee20
    Free Member

You destroyed a big ring, so you want to go to a double. Makes sense!

You want to keep the big ring the same size, or as close as? No… you've lost me!

More than a 16t gap will likely yield nasty shifting, someone on Weight Weenies has done it though. As per everyone elses comments though, do you really need a 44?

A number of XC racers are using single rings these days, often going for something like a 38. I run a 28/40 double and don't feel the need for bigger.

GhostRider
    Free Member

I dont want to keep the 44 i know it's to big for proper off road but i do ride fire roads and my locals are not eaxctly a trail centre thrill ride. A 38 seems to me a good compromise on the gearing and acheives the ultimate aim which is to increase the clearance between big/bash and the ground. As suggested earlier i probably need to pay a visit to Sheldon Borwn's gear calculator.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Two Ring Set-ups’ is closed to new replies.