Home Forums Bike Forum Tweed Valley Camping

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Tweed Valley Camping
  • BillOddie

Any recommendations for a place to camp (in a Campervan) in the Tweed Valley?

Cheers!

BoardinBob

At the wigwams at Glentress. Good onsite facilities, doorstep access to the trails, Glentress Hotel is there if you fancy something to eat or drink.

Tracey

When we go up we would usually stop at Crossburn in Peebles however they have stopped doing pitches or grass unless you have a season pitch as the new owners are making it into a static site.
    I also understand from the Rosetta that they are doing the same.
    Tweedside is good at Innerleithen. We have had the Camper at the log pods/cabins at Glentress but that was a while ago but will be using them and Tweedside later this year for the Enduros

militantmandy
    Free Member

Do you need facilities or just a place to park up? Many stay in Innerleithen at the carpark for the DH trails, parking at the bottom of Leithen Road, or the weir towards the golf course. These are really places just to stop for a night though. If you need facilities, then GT is a good shout as others have said.

scruff
    Free Member

We camped at GT last year, was good spot but only rode GT once, went down the bikepath to Golfie 2nd and 3rd days, beers in Inners after, paddle in the river, chip van in Cardrona. That was magic.

superfli
    Free Member

Managed to swing a family camping holiday last summer to inners😁
    We stayed at the campsite in Innerleithen and although the surrounding housing looks a little grim (not what I was expecting), it was a pleasant campsite. Backs on to the old railway path to peebles or walkerburn and has the facilities of the town. You can cycle to golfie via walkerburn or along the path to golfie entrance. And of course inners.
    Tweedside caravan park

militantmandy
    Free Member

🤣 it’s not the most picturesque, but the likelihood of being stabbed is very low.

BillOddie

Thanks all!

ahsat

With stories of so many bikes being stolen from Tweed Valley spots, we have been using a site just outside Jedburgh, which is also less full of a certain type of Mtber whom have little regard for other users of facilities (my experience at Glentress cabins a whilst back was really poor – facilities were really manky).

intheborders
    Free Member

Do you need facilities or just a place to park up? Many stay in Innerleithen at the carpark for the DH trails, parking at the bottom of Leithen Road, or the weir towards the golf course.

AKA if you aren’t got an onboard toilet, go elsewhere 🙂

we have been using a site just outside Jedburgh

There’s a lot of MTBing around Jed, lots of local trails plus big hills and a couple of long distance ‘ways’. Cheviots are also within riding distance.

mtnboarder

AKA if you aren’t got an onboard toilet, go elsewhere 🙂

There was a bloke blatantly urinating in the open at that carpark when I drove past last weekend, great way to antagonise the locals. Its not a changing room either.

Please just use a campsite.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Please just use a campsite.

just about covers it, our home isnae the wilderness. didn’t now about the crossburn site changing i wonder if thats a good or badthing for my house price( and will it affect the real butchers supplies in the garage)

dovebiker

I’ve stayed at Crossburn – the static owners give it a real duelling-banjos feel, like they want to run out anyone who doesn’t ‘live’ there. The dumped TV on the pavement outside helped with the ‘ambience’ too 🤪 It still looked better than the one on the river at Inners AKA dog-shit alley as we regularly used to walk by on the Tweed Path.

savoyad

I liked Crossburn. When we were there in the Autumn we were told (by randoms, not anyone official) that touring pitches were ending there with the change of ownership, but that they would reopen some at Rosetta. I think @tracey has more up to date (bad) news than that though.
    It’s a shame for Peebles to end up with no camping.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Would be great if there were some better facilities in Inners. Surely there’s a case for some changing rooms at least at the DH car park. Mostly people behave OK, I think but there’s always a few that seem to act like they’re on a stag doo!

Tracey

We spoke to both the Peebles campsites last week to try and book for the Tweedlove British Champs Enduro in September. Both confirmed what they were doing going forward and that the plans didn’t involve tents and campers. Neither could offer any alternative suggestions in the Peebles area.
    The Crossburn Facebook has or had some photos on it and most of the site has been stripped ready for pads and services to be installed.

ceept

Glentress is great & well setup for muddy bikers.

We’ve also stayed up the road at Roslyn a couple of times (when GT was full). Which is lovely & quiet, and is on the bus-route into Edinburgh if you are so inclined. It’s closed for winter just now though.
    http://www.slatebarnscaravanpark.co.uk/

mtnboarder

The farm on the way out of Peebles at Kerfield seems to have caravans pitched up every year, not sure if its open to the public though.

Tracey- might be worth speaking to Tweedlove, I think there was some talk of a temporary site for the event.

BoardinBob

Surely there’s a case for some changing rooms at least at the DH car park

Car park regularly floods so you cant build anything there, hence with the uplift hut is a wee bit uphill but they could stick something up there.

mashr

Surely there’s a case for some changing rooms at least at the DH car park

Car park gets flooded frequently so would need to be on stilts. The Inners uplift/chairlift campaign probably stole a lot of limelight that could’ve been used for some more simple facilities

Its not a changing room either.

Saying people shouldn’t get changed before/after riding at their car is just daft though

Tracey

I emailed Tweedlove last week, they are aware of the campsite problems and are looking at alternatives but didn’t have anything sorted as of then.
    Would be great if they could sort something out. That would only sort the race weekend. It doesn’t sort the weekly problem of the droves of campers visiting Glentress with no where legal and facilities for the over night stops.
    I’m surprised that the local council have approved the planning for the campsites without an alternative for visitors.
    I think the farm is used by the Caravan and Camping Club for their rallies

militantmandy
    Free Member

Car park gets flooded frequently so would need to be on stilts. The Inners uplift/chairlift campaign probably stole a lot of limelight that could’ve been used for some more simple facilities

Yes of course, I’d somehow forgotten that! Definitely not insurmountable, but certainly makes things more difficult.

mtnboarder

Saying people shouldn’t get changed before/after riding at their car is just daft though

Its a residential street, not a forest carpark. What’s acceptable in one place is not in another.

There’s a great big carpark a couple of minutes pedal away, where nobody will bat an eyelid at riders changing.

Outside somebody’s house, not so much..

mashr

Are they intentionally waving their tackle around or just quickly getting changed? If just the latter, I don’t see an issue

eemy
    Free Member

Are they intentionally waving their tackle around or just quickly getting changed? If just the latter, I don’t see an issue

But then again, you might have more of an issue if it happened outside your house every weekend

singlespeedstu

I have to agree that there does seem to be some not great behaviour in Leithen Road.
    Nothing inherently wrong if it was a couple of people but when there’s big groups it does look not so good.
    Groups of people blocking the footpath when folks are trying to walk past and not even acknowledging them is bound to cause some bad feeling.
    It doesn’t take much to say hello and try not to gather in groups that block stuff up.
    Just seems there’s a small percentage of un self aware folks that aren’t giving off the best image.

mtnboarder

The bloke last weekend had no issue with waving his around.

Maybe if it was one or two people, a couple of times a week. Its not though, its all day every weekend and during the week to a lesser degree.

If you’re visiting you might just be quickly getting changed, but five minutes later its the next guy, then the next, and the next group after that. All day.

See the problem now?

What’s “just quickly getting changed” for you might be a significant issue for those continually affected.

I don’t live there but do have unofficial parking and a trail right by my house. Normally not an issue, but my young kids have learned a number of new and unsavoury words from mtbers while playing in our garden and that’s not on.

mtnboarder

Anyway, Camping- I’d love to have the spare cash to set up a campsite, but I’ve got no idea how viable it would be.

Does the GT site fill up regularly? It seems to be the place to go…

Tracey

The Crossburn always seemed to be booked up well in advance and when ever we visited, Usually 4 times a year for long weekends and the races was always full with campers with bikes.
    The staff were always friendly and welcome.
    The Rosetta not so and the facilities were in need of refurbishment.
    Only stopped at the Glentress one once and there were storms. Their generator packed in and the showers weren’t working. Didn’t affect us but the owner got alot of grief from others in vans and the pods.
    Setting up a site from new would involve finding the land and subject to planning permission, assuming that funds are available for development

mtnboarder

I’m trying to think of somewhere flat that isn’t flood prone- it all seems to be built on already though..

Rosetta was fortified like a Gulag during lockdown, properly barricaded. Didn’t strike me as welcoming. The Hydro did similar, but with fewer machine gun towers

Tracey

Would probably need to be above the flood level, we were lucky and just managed to get the car and then the bikes out of the way. The guy in the Porsche parked next to us wasn’t as luck. Is there anything on the other side of the river besides the carpark

militantmandy
    Free Member

its all day every weekend and during the week to a lesser degree.

Whilst I agree that there is some anti social behaviour, this is frothing exaggeration at its finest. I live across the road from the Leithen Road car park, so I have a pretty good view.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Just Google mapped the campsite near me and it’s just over half an hour from Inners. About the same as Jedburgh. It’s the Lothian Bridge Campsite, looks fairly secure and secluded. The Sun Inn over the road does very good food or you can get a bus into Edinburgh fairly easily. There’s also Crossborders brewery nearby which does food most weekends.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Tweed Valley Camping’ is closed to new replies.