Home Forums Bike Forum Turbo Trainer tyre; do I need one?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Turbo Trainer tyre; do I need one?
  • Dogsby

As the weather here in Germany has been atrocious over the last few weeks I have taken to the cellar with a Sufferfest video to get some miles in.

Do I need a turbo specific tyre? What does it do or stop from happening? I have an old Gatorskin that I was going to put on if it is a matter of wear but if it is noise or slippage I am not really bothered.

Incidentally Sufferfest Angels is a good old threashing!!

Dogsby

eyerideit
    Free Member

You don’t need one.

They’re a harder compound so don’t wear as quick. A cheap tyre will do the same job if you’re running expensive ones.

Rubber_Buccaneer

You don’t need a turbo specific tyre. They don’t overheat and wear so fast and may be quieter but if you have an old tyre you don’t care about you may as well use that.

mooman
    Free Member

Never needed one.
    Turbo trainers are hard enough to motivate yourself to use anyways. The thought of swapping a tyre over every time ….

meehaja
    Free Member

I bought a tyre from halfords for about £7 a few years back. Its been more than adequate!

coopersport1
    Free Member

The thought of swapping a tyre over every time ….

I bought an old back wheel for £15 and swap that over much easier than changing tyres.

NO you don’t strickly need one but i’ve found when not using one bits of rubber build up on the roller and flick up the wall getting me trouble with the missus, so now have spare wheel with turbo tyre that I slot it.

Jase
    Free Member

Used a turbo for years and never had a turbo tyre, never had bits of rubber fly off either which sounds weird on a slick tyre.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I was an old tyre and I get them pretty hot!

stumpy01

If they’re getting hot, it sounds like there’s not enough tension between the tyre & the roller, causing slip which will heat the tyre.

Used a turbo for quite a while with a City Jet on the slick wheels on my mtb. Been fine.

backinireland
    Free Member

No, just a cheapo tyre

Angels was my 1st sufferfest, thought it was hard unti I tried the Downward Spiral, thats torture!
    Just purchased the hunted, more like angels but theres a sting at the end….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Turbo Trainer tyre; do I need one?’ is closed to new replies.