Home Forums Bike Forum Tubeless tyre permanent repair?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tubeless tyre permanent repair?
  • aldo56
    Free Member

I got my first tubeless puncture yesterday on the gravel bike – nice small hole in the centre tread that i reamed out to get a slug in.

Made it home okay but I see the slugs are only a “temporary” fix. What do I use to fix it long term? I assume I can glue a patch onto the inside or something similar?

Tyre is pretty new so I’d loath to bin it but I’ve got a fairly remote, multi day trip coming up so I don’t want to take any risks if possible.

honourablegeorge

Mushroom plugs from Amazon/eBay

didnthurt

The temporary fix will probably out live the tyre IME.

If the puncture is central then try something like this

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/hutchinson-tuebeless-road-repair-kit/137551352/p

cheekyget
    Free Member

As honourablegeorge said..use mushroom plugs

Northwind

Another +1 for mushrooms. THey’re stronger than the tyre was, not that they need to be because they’re held on by air pressure.

But yeah worms can last the life of the tyre.

aldo56
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, thanks for the advice.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I never knew worms were temporary 🤷

There’s probably a few in each of my bikes and one in a car tyre!

silasgreenback

Temporary fix is a load of nonesense IMHO.

5k miles on a dynaplug for me.

Other option is to patch from the inside. Same technique as for patching a tube. I bought some weldtite vulcanising glue plus a square of inner tube repair (10x10cm) off amazon for a few £. That tyres currently running a shade under 4k miles and still air tight.

Especially important as without fail, all my tubeless tyres puncture within the first 100 mls. Usually a nail or screw on our crummy Lancs roads. then never puncture again till they wear out!!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Normal tiptop patch on the inside. Plugs in centre of tread (not sidewall) can pull out. Ask me how I know… That ‘proper’ repair has since done 1800km of bikepacking no bother.

molgrips
    Free Member

I bought some weldtite vulcanising glue plus a square of inner tube repair (10x10cm) off amazon for a few £

I did this for a sidewall slash in an MTB tyre, along with superglue in the fibres. However on my road bike with a 1mm cut in the centre I just patched it on the inside with a normal patch. Has been working fine ever since, that was about 1k miles ago.

sboardman

Mushroom plug users what prep do you do to the area around the hole to make sure the vulcanising glue fuses the patch/tyre? I wiped the area pretty thoroughly and have left for 24 hours but my mushroom patch is peeling away. I suspect it’s something to do with the sealant and I’ve not removed enough of it?

honourablegeorge

silasgreenback

5k miles on a dynaplug for me.

Dynaplugs have a bit more to them than the cheapo works though, they’re close to being the mushroom plug and worm all in one.

desperatebicycle

Made it home okay but I see the slugs are only a “temporary” fix

Only as much as tyres are temporary. I’ve used tyres with just a sealant fix quite happily til the tyre dies.

leffeboy

I wiped the area pretty thorough

I think you have to rough it up with sandpaper.  There is a surface layer you have to remove to expose the layer the vulcanizing solution will bond to

rockhopper70

I started a thread on the very same dilemma, and bought the mushrooms and vulcanising solution. Tried three times now and it just isn’t bonding at all. Tried all sorts to clear the residual sealant and roughed up the surface, but that just seemed to expose and fray the tyre wall threads.

Got a new tyre in the end, life’s too short.

bearGrease

@sboardman I clean it with IPA (alcohol not beer). Use several layers of the cement and let them dry before inserting plug.

hatter

I’ve always treated my Dynaplugs as permanent repairs unless the damage is so severe the plugs don’t seem to be able to keep of fully airtight.

In which case l trim the plugs off and put a big patch on the inside of the tyre.

Only ever had to do that twice though, been riding all summer on a rear tyre with 4 Dynaplugs in it and no bother.

footflaps

I never knew worms were temporary 🤷

+1

Never replaced one, aways stayed in the tyre.

Same with Parktool tyre boots on sidewall tears – just kept an eye on it and they normally last the tyre out…

luket

@sboardman I clean it with IPA (alcohol not beer). Use several layers of the cement and let them dry before inserting plug.

I do the same. Often find the first layer of rubber solution sort of sinks into the tyre, second layer then works. Then put it on both tyre and patch, let both dry to properly tacky, pull it through then work it with finges from the middle out.

Saccades
    Free Member

I take my tyres to a car tyre place and get them to stick a patch in like they would in a car.

£10 and job done.

Klunk
    Free Member

I use a relatively new gp4000 road tyre (that went pop) cut up into patches and glued with in with rubber cement (I found regular inner tube patches were too weak on larger holes ok on thorn sized but not anything larger) . Think it should last me about 50 years. Also once glued in time with an inner tube in helps with a better bonding for the patch.

sboardman

Thanks all. Few layers of glue and we’re getting somewhere.

I knew I’d seen another thread about it but search wasn’t playing ball. 🙄

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.