Home Forums Bike Forum Tubeless tyre bubble – safe to ride?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tubeless tyre bubble – safe to ride?
  • londoncommuter
    Free Member

Haven’t had this before but it sounds like these happen when the layers leak in a tubeless tyre and the air can get through to the rubber layer. Is that right and how dodgy do you think it is to keep riding? Would it be a catastrophic under a bus type failure if it goes? If not, would it be repairable on a ride using plugs? Hutchinson have been rubbish and haven’t replied to e-mails.

Might be stupid but I should put a pin through the bubble now?

Many thanks for any advice.

tyre

hols2
    Free Member

Would it be a catastrophic under a bus type failure if it goes?

Yes. I’ve had that happen once. I noticed it after a ride and left the bike parked. It went off with a loud “bang” a few hours later. Pump it up as hard as you can and enjoy it when it explodes, then throw it in the bin and replace it.

ta11pau1

No way in hell I’d be riding that, the bulge will wear faster than the rest of the tyre and then BANG!

Get it changed.

damascus
    Free Member

What tall Paul said! That’s a weak point, it’s likely to go pop. It will also feel terrible to ride on.

Change it!

claudie

Out of curiousity, what tyre is it? I’ve seen a few pics of Hutchinson Fusion Performance with this fault and they were replaced under warranty

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Out of curiousity, what tyre is it? I’ve seen a few pics of Hutchinson Fusion Performance with this fault and they were replaced under warranty

One of mine’s gone back for this exact fault. They’ve said they’ll replace it.

Mail the retailer not Hutchinon.

londoncommuter
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Not the answer I wanted but you’re all quite right. It’s annoying as I now live nowhere near where I bought it from, can’t travel under lockdown and it’s really not worth it. Have e-mailed them now to see if they can sort it out but they don’t stock them anymore.

Must have £10 worth of Stans Race Sealant in there as well!

Claudie – It’s one of these:

Tyre

belugabob
    Free Member

The rim looks to have a fairly large bulge, too.

Scratch that – your new picture makes things clearer

spooky_b329

Cut the bubble off, I expect its just a very thin layer and the carcass underneath is sound with a tiny thorn or glass cut. Then you’ll know if you can ride it short term.

oreetmon
    Free Member

I’ve had this recently with a different make. Only noticed it as the tyre squelched when riding to the shop. Bike was fine the day before.

Bubble was the size of a quid coin. Removed tyre and found bubble 3x the size on the inside. Sliced it and it was delaminated down to the canvas.

Chucked it in the bin as I didn’t want to risk a rapid deflate at 30mph.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyre bubble – safe to ride?’ is closed to new replies.