Home Forums Bike Forum Tubeless leaking at rim joint

• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pdw.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tubeless leaking at rim joint
  • dirkpitt74

So set my wheels up tubeless the other day and diid a dry run – one seems to be holding pressure ok without sealant.

The other one looks like be leaking at the joint on the rim – before I put the sealant in is this a ‘normal’ problem?

Will the sealant sort this issue?

Thanks

jekkyl

I doubt very much if it’s the rim which is faulty, more likely that the tapes failed at some point. Retape and try again would be my advice or try some gunk in, might work.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Leaking below the line of the rim tape, then probably the tape has a leak.

Rim joints aren’t always air tight though. Sealant will probably sort it, but check the tape anyway.

Also, any dings around the rim joint? That can push the joint open a little.

Garry_Lager

As said – your rim is fine, but your tape is not. There’s a small leak, and the place you see air escaping past the tape is the rim joint. Retape mate.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all, will whip tyre off and check the tape.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I run a layer of lecky tape over the rim after normal tape.

Catches all the wee holes and stuff.

benpinnick

Leaky rim joints are totally normal. Sealant normally fixes it as long as its a Stans/Joes type. The sealants that promise to never dry out probably won’t sort it that well for you however.

scotroutes

Leaky rim joints are almost completely avoided if you use tape that is wide enough,.

pdw
    Free Member

+1 for wide enough tape. That ebay link is where I got my last roll from.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless leaking at rim joint’ is closed to new replies.