Home Forums Bike Forum TRP Slate Evo Brakes

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • TRP Slate Evo Brakes
  • dave_h

Anyone got any views that should make me give them a wide berth?

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

The price on merlin got me hacked

Bought a pair months ago .

Loads of power silent well made easy to bleed nice lever Shape

Hose is actually 840mm not 760 as listed

I’ve since bought 2 more pairs

One for the mega 275 build and one pair for spares

All came with 840mm hose

I also bought the trp rotors from merlin

I can’t recommend them enough

I’d happily pay double if I ever needed any further down the line

I’ve tech 4 E4 and sram codes rsc on the other 2 bikes and these are more powerful than either of those

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

Got me hucked not hacked blooming spell checker keyboard numb fingers on phone :)

bish

Considering a set of these as I’ve got yet another leaky shimano caliper.

Did they come with spare olives and barbs for shortening the hoses?

doomanic

Bloody typical! These pop up for a killer price the week after I finally commit to fitting the Dominions… 🤣

lister

I’d like to know more. Was thinking about more expensive options but I can get a front and rear set including rotors for £160! Seems like a good bargain for 4 pots…?

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

Much cheaper than that at melin Inc rotors

Spare olives yes as the hoses aren’t connected

You could remove the insert if carful but I ordered a pack of ten from velozone for under a tenner

There std 5mm trp ones not the older 5.5mm ones

halifaxpete

Great brakes, got them on the hardtail after snapping them up for a bargain price afew months ago. Those with smaller hands might struggle though as the levers sit quite far out from the bar IMO. I had to buy a new front hose for mine too as the one that was fitted was way too short weirdly

cp

Does any one have experience of these against a shimano 4 pot, eg. Deore M6120?

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

@halifaxpete you can turn the lever reach to make them sit close to the bars .whe  you turn them you may feel like you’ve moved them as far as you can but its just some resistance from the loctite and they can be wound to almost touch the bar which is how I like them.

lister

Little bump…how easy are these to install and bleed? I’m very tempted as I’ve been after some affordable 4 pots for a while.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

The easiest brakes I’ve ever installed .

Levers come plugged separately from calipers

Hoses are bunged so great for routing internally first .

I just then cut the hoses to length

Fitted new insert

Connected

Then just bled the lever

Done that on both sets and there rock solid

No deviation of lever feel

The trp pads are organic made by galfer equivalent to there green compound so bed it quickly and are silent

I would personally run them with the trp rotors which are 2.3mm thick

They were on offer at merlin for a tenner each but are out of stock

But if on a budget you can pick up tektro tutors 2.3mm thick which are made by trp

chakaping

Anyone used them with normal rotors, like Shimano RT66?

desperatebicycle

My son used them with Shimano rotors and wasn’t happy with them. Levers kept pulling to the bars he said.
    It does have a minimum rotor thickness printed on the lever body IIRC
    He swapped the TRPs out for Saints after a few uses. I would’ve had them if they’d been ok with the Sram rotors I already had. Oh and the matchmakers. But they weren’t so they went on ebay. :)

ah no, it’s on the caliper – photo was still on my phone

lister

That’s all great information, thanks all.
    Does anyone know if these: https://www.merlincycles.com/trp-two-piece-centrelock-rotor-122857.html are the 2.3mm rotors needed?

desperatebicycle

Looks like they are 1.8mm – https://trpcycling.com/product/tr25/

By the way, I still have a bleed kit if anyone wants it cheap. The bleed port on these has a bigger thread than most other brakes.

chakaping

Cheers, relieved I don’t have to buy them now.

a11y

What are the differences between the T4 and the EVO? T4s are even cheaper than EVO on Merlin.

I’ve looked at TRP’s own site but still struggling – they use regular 1.8mm rotors, but I don’t know what other differences.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

There is only the rear available in the t4.the t4 is the older brake with 5.5mm thick hose and is a cheaper build .

a11y

Thanks @Big-Bud, did some searching and thought that was the case. Merlin have stock of front/rear sets of T4s for £20 less than a set of EVOs, but sounds like the EVOs are worth the extra even though it means new, thicker rotors.

https://www.merlincycles.com/trp-slate-t4-front-and-rear-disc-brake-set-300374.html £70

https://www.merlincycles.com/trp-slate-evo-front-and-rear-disc-brake-set-282217.html £90

EDIT: I wonder how well the EVOs would work with 2.0mm rotors. Thinking aloud as I already use Magura Storm HC 2.0 rotors with my Shimanos.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

@desperatebicycle that’s a bleed issue nothing to do with rotor thickness.

You can run them with 1.8mm just don’t let the pads run too low

I use them on the trail bike and there absolutely bullet proof

I didn’t expect them to be so good

The power delivery is incredible and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again especially at I think £80 notes a pair iirc

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Either way mate for £70 notes that’s such a good deal for the slates t4

Have a hunt around though I’m sure I’ve seen someone selling some trp rotors 2.3 recently cheap.

I’ll check tonight when I’m not replying on my phone and I’m on the laptop

lister

I’ve taken the plunge and ordered the Evos. Just need to find the rotors now (I rang Merlin and they confirmed they don’t have the 2.3mm in stock).

hainman
    Free Member

How do the Evos come up against the DH or the Hayes Dominions or Saints for that matter

desperatebicycle

Big-Bud

@desperatebicycle
    that’s a bleed issue nothing to do with rotor thickness.

Fair enough, but he just said they were inconsistent… he hasn’t moaned once about his Saints. :)

mashr

Has anyone here actually experimented going from a 1.8mm to 2.3mm rotor? I would like to reduce the lever throw (to bite point) a bit on my brakes. I know the 2.3mm rotors will fit in, but would the thicker rotor help? I’ve heard tales of reduced pad clearance (which implies it would work), but in my head the pistons will just reset to the normal distance

singlespeedstu

Has anyone here actually experimented going from a 1.8mm to 2.3mm rotor?

Yep on a pair of Hope V4’s.

I prefer the feel of the 2.3 rotor.
    I think it does change the lever feel slightly but not because the pads are closer to the rotor.
    The pads aren’t any closer to the rotor in use as they readjust to the rotor/pad wear. That distance is set by how much the piston seals let the pistons advance/retract.
    What I think is happening is the thicker rotor is staying consistently straighter under heating/cooling and not pushing the pistons back further when it warps slightly under heavy use.
    Maybe also the fact it handles heat better is a factor in the whole system not getting as hot.

a11y

Maybe also the fact it handles heat better is a factor in the whole system not getting as hot.

I could easily fry my 2-pot SLX on my trail bike on longer/steep descents with standard Shimano 1.8mm rotors, but less of an issue after I fitted Magura 2.0mm rotors. Unlikely I’d have clearance for 2.3mm rotors but I’d use them if I could.

I keep looking at these Slate EVOs as a replacement for my 2-pot SLX.

Mintyjim

I bought 2 x 203mm 2.3mm TRP rotors on ebay for a decent price.

At this price it’s only twice as much as two sets of decent pads. Crazy.

asbrooks

Slight hijack – Anyone know if the 2.3 rotors with work with sram rsc guides?

mashr

They certainly work with 2mm rotors (ala new Sram ones), not seen anything about 2.3mm

lister

@mintyjim Can you share a link to ebay if it was an online shop please? And do you mind me asking how much they were as they seem to vary alot…

Mintyjim

@lister these are the ones I bought:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155469987150?var=455695946912

I paid £26.99, they’ve got up a quid.

dave_h

Fitted mine today.  Easy enough to put on, comes with everything you need (rotors excepted) assuming you want +20 at each end.

I shortened the hoses and plumped for SRAM  barbs with the provided TRP olives.  Tightened up nicely and no leaks.

I’m running SRAM Centerline rotors and after a couple pulls of the lever, they’re sitting quite nicely to the rotor.  As someone said, I’ll keep an eye on pad life and probably replace a tad earlier than I would normally.

Not ridden in anger yet but a bimble down the road tells me the lever feel is more at the firm Shimano end than the squishy SRAM feel with the levers themselves having a good feel to them – not unlike XT.

At this stage, I’d say they’re an absolute bargain at £85 thanks to having enough loyalty points for a fiver discount.

Now I just need to avoid buying another pair that I don’t need and would likely be the starting point of another project! 😆

spawnofyorkshire

Has anyone run these with 2.0mm rotors? I’ve got some new Magura rotors on my bike already

ajantom

I’m running mine with 1.8mm Hope rotors and they’re fine. TRP are on record saying it’s fine to run with 1.8/2mm rotors.

Just ordered a set for my Big Al (if my Big Al turns up)

silentgrunt

Thinking about pulling the trigger on these but have a few n00b questions first.

I’ve got shimano deore M6120s currently which i’ll handdown to the wife.

-Will my current adapters work for the evos? assuming same size of disc.
    -I’ve read they use the same brake pads as shimano 4 pots. Coming from the M6120s and having several pairs lying around i’d be interested if this was true.

Found some 2.3m thick rotors here for not much https://www.merlincycles.com/trp-r1c-centre-lock-rotor-282010.html so shouldn’t be an issue with the rotors.

Cheers

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.