Home Forums Bike Forum Trek Stache? Any affordable alternatives?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Trek Stache? Any affordable alternatives?
  • dai3015
    Free Member

I’m looking at a rigid 29er plus and the rigid Trek Stache seems to be the go to mainstream option. Are there any others that I should be looking at? A Surly Krampus?
    Looking for a comfortable all day rig as looking to move away from trail centres and more to exploring forests and more mellow trails
    Cheers

johnnystorm

Surly and Trek are pretty much it without going niche and building up from a frame it seems.

Going 650b plus would open up your options a great deal.

Kona Unit, Pinnacle Ramin, Sonder Frontier/Transmitter, Surly Bridge Club, Karate Monkey, Ogre, etc.

montgomery
    Free Member

Are Trek still making a rigid Stache? It’s not listed on their website, which is a pity as I’d rather have a light aluminium bike than a load of overpriced Surly gas pipes.

johnnystorm

No, doesn’t look like they are listing it anymore. The gas pipe Surly seems popular enough to still be available though.

Forgot to add the 650b Plus Roscoe to the list up there. Perhaps they are pinning their hopes on that instead, it does look good.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

We’re there not some Carbon Stache-alikes available from ebay/Alibaba?

Like THIS

PJay
    Free Member

I wonder if a rigid Stache would give too much crossover with the 1120[/url] that I’ve just stumbled across.

It’s being sold as a 29+ backpacking bike/offroad tourer, but the blurb does mention that it’s Stache inspired.

flumewelck
    Free Member

just got hold of a Trek 1120. Good for a long day as it’s a very comfy ride.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Check out Stooge.

Home

vondally

Stooge, highly recommended

munrobiker
    Free Member

Why limit yourself with the rigid one? I have a Stache and it’s such a fun, rowdy bike. Mine had the 110mm Manitou forks on it originally, now I run 150mm Revelations. It’s range of use is enormous- it’d suit bike packing and it’s good for long cross country rides but I also use it up mountains and on the off piste DH tracks at Innerleithen. Putting a suspension fork on it makes it so much more versatile and brings no disadvantages, it’s an unreasonably capable bike. It’s also much more suited to technical stuff than the Krampus, which has pretty old school geometry.

Also,secondhand Staches are not that expensive. The rigid ones can be had for £600 or so (which is what I paid for mine, which I then upgraded). Just get a second hand Stache.

andyha
    Free Member

Surly ECR

dai3015
    Free Member

Cheers all

Think I’ll keep a look out for a Stache

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Trek Stache? Any affordable alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.