Home Forums Bike Forum Trek Procaliber 9.6 or Scott Scale 925?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Trek Procaliber 9.6 or Scott Scale 925?
  • chestrockwell

Any one tried both and able to weigh up the pro’s and cons? Or had one of them and can let me know what they think/thought?

Looking at a XC hardtail to possibly replace my gravel bike as I don’t get on with drops. These two can both be had for sub 2k, look nice to me, are light and can be made lighter + are far enough away from my other MTB’s to prevent treading on toes.

Seems you pay for the fancy rear end on the Trek with a lower spec fork compared to the Scott but otherwise they seem similar?

snotrag

Check the sizing and geometry arefully on the Scott – if its a 2022 model, its a design that has been around for a very long time, and a bit old fashioned – long/tall seat tubes in particular. Might be an issue, might not.

The Trek is much more modern. The 2023 Scales even more so – might be worth waiting for one (the specs look good for the money, but you wont be getting a discount and probably not a carbon one much below 2k).

Based on my first experience of Scott ( a 2023 I’ve had a few weeks), I’m really impressed with the frame quality, the details, etc.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Personally I’d buy the Scott, the Pro Caliber has a pretty pants fork, I know the Rhythm is older tech on the Scott but it has a decent damper, tyres are also better IMHO, wheels are much of a muchness, brakes are better on teh Scott and you don’t have to put up with the Knock-Block thingy on the Trek which unless you’re handy with a file means changing stems is a ball ache.

Size wise I’m 5’11” and on a large Scale 910, I have a 120mm dropper in there with plenty of the bottom of the post out, so the seat tubes aren’t that long, it’s ace for razzing about local XC route, long XC rides and even a bit of racing.

Fueled
    Free Member

2022 or 2023 Scott?

I was recently looking at exactly the same decision and went for a 2022 Scott scale 930. Very happy with it, but maybe I would have been happy with the trek too. Preferred the Scott’s spec, but also not convinced that the fancy decoupled bit on the trek could possibly be much use. I can see the point for removing buzz from a road bike where the idea originated, but how useful can it really be when you already have a 2.25 tyre smoothing stuff out? Seems like a gimmick on an mtb.

Spec difference between 925 and 930 was tiny when I looked so check whether you think 925 is with the extra.

chestrockwell

Thanks all, interesting stuff. I do prefer Fox forks but would probably prefer a more up to date frame…..
    These are what I’ve been looking at:

(edit, could add link)
    Scott Scale 925 or 930 2022.
    Trek Procaliber 9.5 or 9.6 2023.

Anything else I should be looking at? Not a Whippet though, had one and it was a bit meh IMO.

Fueled
    Free Member

Sonder dial or frontier? Heavier frames but more customisable. Canyon exceed?

jake123
    Free Member

I have a procaliber 9.7 and really like it.
    Use it for gravel/bridleways/XC loops and general exploring.
    I weighed up the options available and the extras you get on the 9.7 made sense for the price increase, but I guess it still is a £500+ jump.

What didn’t you like about the whippet?
    Stock build is a bit meh. But lighter wheels and fork upgrade makes them much better.

chestrockwell

Thanks Jake. Probably stretching the budget a little but will have a look. Carbon rims, right?

As for the Whippet, it was right enough but the SX groupset was woeful and never worked properly so that spoiled every ride. Wasn’t a fan of the industrial build, especially around the bottom bracket. Didn’t like the fact that no thought had gone in to the spec either, high risers, very short stem but on a frame with old school geometry. I’m sure I could have changed loads and made it better but when spending a fair chunk on a bike I want it to feel a bit less white goods than the Whippet did.

winston
    Free Member

I bought a Procalibre 9.6 last year as I’m doing some XC Sportifs this year in Holland/Belgium and it was one of the few carbon xc 29ers around for less than 2k.

It suits my riding around south england too.

I think the 9.6 is the sweet spot

I love the frame and the flexi thing really works to take the harshness out of longer rides on the SDW etc. Its definitely the highlite as the rest of the package is pretty meh though the alloy wheels are not bad and actually better than I expected. I changed the bars and seatpost for carbon almost straight away. The brakes are rubbish too but the drive train is really good with XT and SLX throughout, even the chain and cassette

The forks are terrible, really awful – so they will be changed at some point and the frame is rated for 120mm so that gives more flexibility on an upgrade.

Overall its a good competent package and ideal for SDW and the type of riding I do in Netherlands which is fast twisty turny singletrack without much gradient (Obvs!)

wbo
    Free Member

I had an older 930 and really like it. Great frame compared to some of the more generic carbon bikes

chestrockwell

Ta both. It will replace a gravel bike Winston so to too worried about the forks as they can be replaced later and it won’t be tackling anything too rough as I have other bikes for that.

twowheels
    Free Member

What did you get OP and are you happy with it?

I have an £1800 cycle scheme voucher burning a hole in my pocket. Was going to be a scale 930 but then found a local retailer will let me have a procal 9.6 with payment of a small “admin fee” on top of the voucher.

I’m not planning to race seriously but want a fun quick bike so the more modern geometry on the Trek appeals. The Recon fork however …

I’m nearly 6ft with a relatively long torso – probably similar legs to you steve_b77 so thanks for the comment on sizing. Trek size guide comes out as ML.

chestrockwell

Didn’t get one in the end mate as my better half began to question the wisdom of n+1! Planning on it after I shift a bike or two and the C2W comes back around and will probably go Trek.

Mate of mine got interested in my dithering and has ordered the Trek to replace his gravel bike so I’ll report back when it arrives.

twowheels
    Free Member

Haha .. I am single but still know I’ll have to sell a bike soon 🙂

I rode the Procaliber on Tues and paid deposit- collecting on Sat.

Went for Large. Didn’t have time before the shop closed to try the ML. I have a nagging feeling that ML with a slightly longer stem might be a better XC weapon for me so might still ask to try it when I collect. Anyway, I think either will be fine.

The fork remains my main issue with the bike but figure I can upgrade after a year if it’s really bad and I don’t want to be snobby about it. I have SLX brakes and XTR cranks (albeit non-boost 11 speed) from my old bike to deal with the MT4/6 clunkers.

twowheels
    Free Member

Got it this morning and took on a bridleways ‘n’ lanes ride locally. I guess the Scale 930 would have been a great bike too but right now I’m very happy with the choice!

View post on imgur.com

A few points (not all about the bike.. and this is partly not having done any MTB since before covid..)
    * I stuck with the L. Still adjusting the setup but reckon it was the right compromise with my relatively short legs/long torso (stand over is fine).
    * I hadn’t spotted it only comes with a 30t ring. Not “race ready” for an adult IMO. Not an issue for me as I’ll swap for my old XTR cranks when I find the tool. Scale 930 comes with 32t, which is more usable. The MT611 cranks otherwise seemed decent enough (no noticeable flex even though I’m deadlifting 175kg now haha). I’ll mainly be swapping for small Q factor and a bit of weight saving.
    * SLX shifters are better than expected. I didn’t realise they were multi-release now. I can’t see any reason to upgrade for now.
    * Brakes were weak and I missed the adjustment. There’s an extra brace on the cylinder at the lever end as though they acknowledge you’ll have to pull them really hard to actually stop lol. Will be swapping for my old M7000 brakes ASAP.
    * Mud clearance got tested and was good! I think 2.4″ tyres will be OK.
    * Can’t really comment on the Recon properly as the local bridleways didn’t really give them a good work out.

Looking forward to some fast laps at Cannock tomorrow or next weekend.

chestrockwell

Cheers for the info mate, interesting stuff. Glad to see you got the correct colour!

winston
    Free Member

Yeah that 30t ring weighs a ton as well. I changed mine for an Absolute Black 32 oval direct mount. Much more grown up! The actual cranks are surprisingly good it’s just the tiny pig iron ring that lets them down.

twowheels
    Free Member

haha snap .. 32t oval FTW 🙂

View post on imgur.com

I had bought a 36t in 2019 “for when I get fit” but never made the jump.. not sure I ever will now.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.