Home Forums Bike Forum Travel box for DH bike

• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by geex.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Travel box for DH bike
  • pjm7
    Free Member

Anyone got any recommendations for a travel box suitable for taking a DH bike on a plane?

I’ve seen the Evoc one which looks decent and also the much better looking DB savage, which seems a bit expensive as although we regularly go abroad with mtb, we usually drive in the camper and this trip to Whistler may well be a one off…..

bluebird
    Free Member

A mate has the Evoc bag and he’s really please with it. The CRC/Wiggle ones are essentially a cheaper copy of them. A couple of mates have them and although they’re not quite as good as the Evoc bag, they’re still pretty pleased with them.

P-Jay
    Free Member

One off? Ask your usual LBS for a bike box, they’re usually happy to be rid rather than pay to have it carted off.

There’s loads of guides on-line, but I recommend 3M 8954 X-Weave Filament tape to close / reinforce the box.

In my professional opinion it is the gold standard which all other tapes are compared to, but never match. Think non-metallic duct tape.

Tracey

Have a look at the Polaris Axel Pod. Our daughter has dragged one all over for the past couple of years and its still going strong. If you shop around there are some good deals on it.

It takes her 29er Enduro and loads of other stuff

alexxx
    Free Member

CRC had the black evoc bags for £200 the other day inc BC discount. They are decent enough but nothing special.

5lab
    Free Member

I have a polaris box and it’s good, but I’d second the bike box idea – I did that for years, a mate of mine’s box has been to whistler twice and NZ once. just take a spare roll of gaffa tape, pipe lagging the stachions and put your rear mech in a jiffy bag. a road bike might get beaten up in a flight, but a DH bike is made of tougher stuff

colp

I have the CRC pro bag for my DH bike, think it’s really good.

geex
    Free Member

Got an EVOC bag for my DH bike now and really like it but haven’t ever had any problems sticking them in a cardboard box and even just turning up at the airport with it in no box at all and shoving it through the oversize luggage conveyor belt fully built.
    If the Evoc is still £200 at CRC it’s a bargain

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Travel box for DH bike’ is closed to new replies.