Home Forums Bike Forum Transition Scout Vs Nukeproof Reactor 275

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Transition Scout Vs Nukeproof Reactor 275
  • sluff
    Free Member

Hi all, looking for some advice.

These aren’t the easiest bike to demo unfortunately. Does anyone have experience having ridden both? Or can anyone point me to any reviews which compare them?

I currently have a privateer 161, but following two hectic injuries it’s time to scale it back and have a bit more fun. I live in the Alps, so can be quite rowdy but I tend to ride mostly singletrack with a mix of lift Vs climbing

I’ve had a patrol and a mega in the past (2015 and 2012 respectively) before the 161.

Cheers

argee

Can’t say exactly, but had a play on the scout and seen the reactor, think they’re pretty similar in terms of design, so horst link 4 bars with similar progressive rates, think the scout is a little slacker though, and you can get it to do more of the downs better, but it isn’t really that much of a move down from a 161 in reality, the spur would be more of a move down towards ‘downcountry’, the reactor would probably sit in the middle of those two for me.

grahamt1980

I haven’t ridden the reactor sorry, but my scout is great.
    Enough travel to take most of the abuse out of riding and still sort enough to be fun. I love that the sale goes so low too, makes it feel like a bmx.
    So far have been playing at 417, chicksands and normal xc on it.
    It just feels incredibly stable and fun

sluff
    Free Member

Cheers. Yeah I agree it isn’t a huge step. It’s still perhaps a bit longer than what I’m looking for. It just looks on paper a bit less nuts than the 161.

MBUKand MBR have a lot of praise for the Reactor, but I’m always aware of UK brand bias.

Cheers for th advice both.

poah
    Free Member

what do you mean scale back? not riding the same trails?

sluff
    Free Member

Fair question. I started racing, or trying to and got all excited about then. Covid, then injury. I’d like a more playful bike, and I don’t need “lots” of travel. I should mention I’m 39, two kids and being seriously injured is hectic on so many levels. So I suppose scale back is also being slower, more cautious but still wanting a fun bike. 140 – 150mm travel.

riklegge

I’ve had a scout (albeit the alloy 2019 version) and ridden a friend’s reactor. Both are great. I loved the Scout, great fun and poppy ride. The only thing I didn’t like so much was the dropper insertion depth was limited on that bike, so might be worth checking this if you run a small / medium frame and want to run a 150+ dropper.
    I was quite happy riding the Scout on the same sort of trails as I rode my Patrol, similarly my mate rides enduro events, techy trails and decent sized jumps and drops on his reactor. If it were me, I’d go for the one I liked the look of best, and which had the best local bike shop back up for where you live.

ed-
    Free Member

I was looking for a fun playful bike.
    I’ve got a bird aether 9 and I’m pretty happy with it.
    130/150.

Think it sits around the reactor in terms of design but it’s probably more playful bike.
    Just another suggestion.

Only heard good things about the scout but it’s more down country bike

mlltt

I’ve owned a new scout in medium and I’ve owned two 2018 scouts in large.

The new scout is a seriously capable bike, with worth looking into the cascade link as you you can up the travel 15mm. So you can easily change travel if you do decide you need more travel, like wise you can run different shock lengths. Transition warranty this too and allow 140-160mm front travel.

For me though, the older alloy scouts are as much fun for 1/3rd of the price, quite hard to come by though.

jamj1974

I had a quick go on my brothers 2021 Scout Carbon on a local descent. It felt very capable and definitely ‘poppy’. I was very impressed TBH. It’s a little small for me as a medium – so I think it is true to size as I normally ride large-sized bikes.

Felt very similar to my 2016 Patrol Carbon – which to me is a good thing – but I didn’t pedal it much, but I it is a little more efficient according to my brother.

Looks super-nice in the flesh too!

poah
    Free Member

I should mention I’m 39, two kids and being seriously injured is hectic on so many levels.

46, 3 kids and I ride a 2015 trannie patrol. Got a 2015 scout as well and it’s a really clickable bike. I recon the newer scout is similar to the mk1 patrol but lighter. Have you considered a deviate highlander? The 161 is pretty hefty. If I was getting a new bike I’d be getting a a scout but with the longer stroke shock. Would be similar in travel to my current ride but smaller frame for the same reach.

sluff
    Free Member

Ok, that’s nice to hear. I had a 2015 patrol and loved it. The scout on paper is pretty long and low, but reviews mostly say it’s preserved it’s playfulness.

grahamt1980

The new scout is def long and low. Mine isn’t a huge amount shorter than the dh bike.
    It is loads of fun in the bike park, def amusing on jumps etc

sluff
    Free Member

Thanks Graham. How fun is it on singletrack? Is it playful or does it feel a bit like a fast sled?

grahamt1980

Anything with jumps, drops and roots are great fun.
    It is a bit of an odd one really as it will do both, it can rocket through stuff if you want it to, but will get air everywhere and bounce aims if you want it to.
    It is a bit difficult to explain but on my first ride on it, i had to properly recalibrate as i was overshooting stuff in the air but damn it was and still is fast too

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Transition Scout Vs Nukeproof Reactor 275’ is closed to new replies.