Home Forums Bike Forum Trangia Camping Stove

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Trangia Camping Stove
  • gs_triumph

Hi,

After a bit of research on stoves i settled on a Trangia 27 for going bikepacking later this year.  I enjoy proper cooking so it suits my needs better than jetboils etc.

Is it worthwhile getting the kettle for it?  Does it significantly speed up boil time vs an open pot?

Cheers

ndthornton
    Free Member

We used to use these for D of E expeditions years ago,

They are great but quite slow to boil compared to a jetboil and the pans get covered in soot

tractionman

A lid definitely helps for bringing water to the boil, I found the Trangia set up altogether a bit heavy so have stripped back my cooking kit to a ‘coke can’ stove, a wind guard and a Alpkit Mytimug, which is much lighter and enough for brews and one-pot cooking.

simondbarnes

The kettle is ace. Haven’t tried boiling water in an open pot on my trangia.

reeksy

We use them for family camping. The kettle fits inside and isn’t heavy so useful as a closed vessel for boiling separately.

You’re supposed to add a little water to avoid soot. You can also buy a multi fuel burner if the speed bothers you.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve never had any love for these.  They are heavy, uneconomical and they don’t simmer well so proper cooking is quite hard IME.

Given the huge number of stoves on the market I’d go with something else.  I have an old Whisperlite, I’d consider a later model with the adjuster on the burner instead of the fuel bottle but even that’s a bit porky for bikepacking.

Poor choice for bikepacking, I’d say.

matt_outandabout

Trangia’s work well. But by heck they are heavy.

I use a Speedster and have a mini Trangia

Speedster: https://speedsterstoves.co.uk/ – I have Alpkit Ti mug/pan, plus Speedster windshield etc – and it is great.

A jeboil is pretty powerful – but my generic (branded Eldelrid) gas stove is very controlable and with a heat spreading pan, you can cook like at home easily.

scotroutes

Poor choice for bikepacking, I’d say.

This. Bulky, heavy, inefficient. I mean, why would you?

sherpachris

If you’re taking a Trangia I’m guessing you’re not to concerned about carrying a bit of extra weight anyway so you may as well take the kettle. I’ve never actually taken a Trangia bikepacking but on my last trip I did take a Trangia kettle and one non stick Trangia pan and handle and used it with a little gas stove. Perfect for morning coffee and scrambled eggs.

benp1

Trangias are an excellent little stove. Robust, very windproof, all nests nicely, simple. They’re not very powerful though, I’ve converted mine to run with a multifuel stove. Great for scouts!

But they’re rubbish for bikepacking because they’re bulky and hard to pack when bikepacking.

If you’re set on taking one definitely get the kettle. They work really well and nest perfectly in the set. I’d also recommended the multi disc thing as I use it as a lid, colander and chopping board

wbo
    Free Member

Take the kettle.  I use the miniversion.  In the photo example above (snow nearby) you’ll be waiting a long time for water to boil with an open pan.

simondbarnes

In the photo example above (snow nearby)

The tent was frozen solid!

molgrips
    Free Member

I mean, why would you?

Exactly, I cannot think of any aspect in which a Trangia is better than the alternatives except perhaps durability in the hands of clumsy teenagers.  That said, the thought of knocking one over whilst burning probably offsets that!

beamers

My Trangia 27 in action.

Bit heavy for bike packing.  Canoe camping / day trips where weight and size not a problem – perfect.

Mine must be 30+ years old now.  It will outlast me.

simondbarnes

I mean, why would you?

I cannot think of any aspect in which a Trangia is better than the alternatives except perhaps durability in the hands of clumsy teenagers

They’re lovely and quiet for a start and don’t need gas canisters that get thrown away when they’re empty.

convert

Another for not a bike packing bit of kit – group of 4 teenagers on a foot or canoe expedition is a trangia’s sweet spot Like Matt above I’ve gone the way of a speedster meths burner (convinced it’s just basically an adapted mini vaseline tin), a bit of foil and a wire stand, all packed into a ti mug with a lid. Space in there for some coffee and other bits and bobs too. Then a handful of super cheap meths containers in a variety of sizes depending on the length of the trip. The smallest one fits in the mug along with everything else for quick overnight mini adventures. 2023 is the year I move away from gas cannisters – I’m under canvas enough nights a year these days that my annual stash of 90% empty canisters is ridiculous. So here on in it’s my little meths setup or drag out my whisperlite if getting a bit more serious.

molgrips
    Free Member

Quiet, I’ll give you, although most stoves aren’t exactly noisy.

Gas canisters can be refilled or you can use a liquid fuelled stove.

scotroutes

If only there was a way of refilling those small gas canisters…

I also have two small meths stoves. If I took both of them, total weight (excluding fuel) would be less than 30g and they’d both easily fit into a small mug.

zilog6128

I enjoy proper cooking so it suits my needs better than jetboils etc.

one of the Jetboils (Minimo) can be simmered which in combination with their adapter allowing you to use a larger pan/pot (I used their own finned large pot which although relatively expensive heats quicker/more efficiently) allows you to cook “properly” if you wish!

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine must be 30+ years old now.

My Whisperlite is 29 years old.

convert

If only there was a way of refilling those small gas canisters…

Yes, not experimented with those yet. I’ve spoken to a couple of people who have and their cannisters have developed leaky valves after a while. I guess it could be user error or using cheap cannisters.

My situations a bit different as fuel – in the form on mini cannisters or meths is free through work. So my choosing the latter and not attempting to refill cannisters is maybe driven slightly differently. But as you say the meths method (albeit not with a trangia) is also light and small which is handy. Slower mind – but I’m rarely in a hurry by the time it’s time to prep food.

slowol

In response to the boiling time I don’t think the kettle is much if any faster. Put the pan on with the fry pan lid on top (rim facing down) and it boils fine. If speed is the issue don’t use a trangia. It’s a relaxing stove.
    It is bulky and heavy but for car camping in summer when there’s no hurry it’s great and feels less wasteful than gas cannisters.
    If cooking pasta for the family whisperlite wins every time. Fast, burns petrol so little waste and had mine not quite as long as molgrips but over 20 years.
    Also got a planetx jetboil copy which is great for a brew if out for a walk but difficult to make gourmet food.
    For lightweight carrying without the meths faff pocket rocket or other canister top stove is great but definitely need a tripod cannister base like the jetboil ones. Foil windshield helps a lot too.
    Stoves can be like bikes with n+1 for the perfect combination.

susepic

Depends a bit on what kind of bikepacking trips you’re planning. I can imagine that it’ll be a bit cumbersome for some of teh undersaddle and triangle bags.
    But if bikepacking is more touring, and you’re using panniers, then a trangia is a great solution. Did a number of 2 person multiweek trips through France and Germany, and the trangia was brilliant as it was self contained, stable, multiple utensils allowing different kinds of cooking, cheap and easy to refuel. You can buy them now with a gas burner instead of meths burner
    The kettle was essential for a morning brew.

For low weight, short forays into the wilderness other kit might be better suited

irc
    Free Member

I’ve refilled gas canisters. My stove packs inside a 990ml pot along with a small canister. So I like the smallest canisters which obviously don’t last that long

As the valves are not designed for long term use I refill 5 times then recycle the canister.
    I mark the full weight on a new canister with permanent marker.so when I am filling it I know how full it is. Go to about 90%.

As for gas v meths? I’ve used both. In fact given the minimal size/weight of my White Box meths stove I have that in my toolkit bag on longer tours in case I can’t get hold of gas.

tjagain

I refill small gas canisters from big ones all the time.  Eventually the valves will fail but its no more wear on the valve than taking it on and off your stove.

On my big trip I took 3 x 100g gas cans and bought a 250 g can to refill them from when they got low

zerocool

My Trang is stove is about 50 years old (was given to me when I was 6 and had a hard life before then), they’re robust, and easy to use, but pretty big and bulky. I’ve not used mine in years (I think my nephew has had it for last 5 or 6 years) as I either use a Jet Boil (or Alpkit BruKit) if I want quick and light or a bio stove if I want something that you can actually cook food on as itMs smaller and quicker to use (and recharges my phone, etc).
    If I’m going anywhere in the van I have a little BBQ with a tiny battery operated fan in the bottom to cook with which is about 50% bigger than the Trangia and faster/can be used as BBQ as well.

I think a Trangia would be great in a post apocalyptic setting as there’s little to go wrong and fuel would be easy to get, but nowadays there’s lighter and better. But depends what you want and are after.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like mine for camping, but I use a mini gas stove for bikepacking through, it’s better in almost every way except versatility. So if cooking kit also involves a chopping board or a frying pan, take a trangia. If it’s heating wet things in a pot, use a stove.

I’ve never used the kettle, the basic kit comes with 2x pans and frying pan/lid.

Where the line between camping on a bike and bikepacking falls is subjective though.

Boil water in one, make a brew
    Add beans to the pan and bring to boil put somewhere to keep warm (e.g. covered under a sleeping bag).
    Fry eggs, bacon, sausages, mushrooms, potato hash, whatever.

Use 2nd pan to boil up a 2nd brew and to wash up whilst the rest of your mates look on enviously as they re-hydrate and burn readybrek in their ti mugs and stoves. Some things are worth every gram of the weight penalty.

On my big trip I took 3 x 100g gas cans and bought a 250 g can to refill them from when they got low

I can see the logic of refilling small cans at home for summer use on short trips

But why would you carry 3x 100g cans rather than 1x 250g can?

tjagain

Flexibility.

sync
    Free Member

If you need a Trangia, you need one. Weight and bulk is irrelevant when one needs to Trangia.

Cheaper to buy the all in one set with kettle usually.

Add a little water to reduce soot.

However; Do you need to Trangia?

Lots of cheap generic gas stoves available and gas burners (official and otherwise including for Trangia) which do the job, until they don’t.

AD

I like my Trangia for the ‘experience’ of using it.

For solo wanderings I actually use a mini which gets round most of the bulk comments. Non-stick frying pan is great for bacon.

No doubt Jetboils etc are far more efficient (well not for cooking bacon…)

zilog6128

Use 2nd pan to boil up a 2nd brew and to wash up whilst the rest of your mates look on enviously as they re-hydrate and burn readybrek in their ti mugs and stoves.

when you’re camping with mates you all cook your meals/brew tea separately? 🤔 Bit odd, certainly not how I’ve ever done it; being able to split the load & cooking tasks is the main benefit of not travelling solo IMO! 😂

welshfarmer

A word of caution concerning Trangia kettles (though I doubt anyone can be a stupid as I was!). You will find that the lids fit so well that they can create a vacuum when pouring so that the boiling water only dribbles out which gets really frustating. Take my advice. If you are ever on a wlking holiday in the middle of Norway and you are sat on a rock filling your flask (which is being held between your ankles to stop it falling over) from a trangia kettle, never, ever, wiggle the lid to introduce some air to speed up the pour. The resulting half litre of scalding hot water that is now inside your left hand walking boot suggests it is not the best idea! Don’t ask me how I know (it took 3-4 weeks before I could walk properly again)

gowerboy

I love my trangia for sea kayaking as it’s robust and foolproof on sandy beaches, in the wind, etc. left out in the night to be kicked over by deer or goats, etc. The weight and bulk isn’t massive and isn’t a problem in a kayak.

For bike packing a full Trang is too much weight so I usually use as Trangia Triangle (like a clickstand) with a Trangia burner. It’s light enough and packs into a small pan, etc. The speed isn’t a bother as I’m on holiday and in no rush. It’s quiet and liquid fuel is easy to manage and lest wasteful than gas.

If I want something a bit more powerful I have a load of other options from gas through to petrol stoves. The Triangia Triangle usually wins though. Other meths stoves are available too… some are home made, others expensive and light but none is better than the Trang burner.

boxelder

To answer the OP:
    Yes and yes.

gs_triumph

I’m not worried about a little extra weight. Maybe I’m “camping on a bike” as much as I’m bikepacking. And I like to cook 🙂

There’s probably 10kg to lose from my own heft before I can really start to gram count. I like to cook. 🙂 which should also say “I like to eat” 🙂

The trangia triangle is already on my radar as light weight alternative. Maybe a future purchase.

“Add a little water” : do we mean add a little water to the trangia burner itself?

sync
    Free Member

“Add a little water” : do we mean add a little water to the trangia burner itself?

To the methylated spirit in the burner yes.

Experiment to get your own mix right but I would go between 1:20 and 1:10. It’s interesting how much you can add though before it’s hard to get a good burn.

Only once in your burner too, I’ve never premixed and added to the trangia bottle.

didnthurt

Get a titanium twig stove. Great for cooking, and having a focal fire. They weight very little. They do leave a sticky black mess to your mug/pot. I like mine though.

I also have a mini trangia, I also like this, works fine for me when bike packing.

The main issue with gas stoves is the collection of 1/3 full gas cannisters you end up with.

tjagain

The main issue with gas stoves is the collection of 1/3 full gas cannisters you end up with.

hence my use of a refiller gadget

tjagain

the good thing about trangias is their simplicty and robustness.  They just work, your pots don’t fall over.  Nothing to go wrong

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

For hiking bivvy not biking I use a Trangia Triangle, a sheet of lightweight foil as a windbreak with a titanium pan; I use bio-ethanol rather than meths, no soot at all.

Used down to about -6C with no issues but need a match/lighter rather than a fire steel unless priming with a bit of cotton wool.

For day hikes I tend towards gas as it’s much faster to get a brew but for when I’m just laid out in my bag relaxing I love the Trangia.

Simple to use, nice and quiet, and I love the smell as it hots up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.