Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Towing legalities question
  • garage-dweller

Car has max train weight of 4000kg

Car has MAM of 2000kg

Trailer MAM is 3500kg (think flat car transporter type)

Towing capacity of the car by its manual is basically the net of the two = 2000kg

I possibly want to use that big trailer with a light but bulky load so it probably comes out at say 1250kg including the trailer.

Is this legal as regards load attached to car? IE is it legal to have a trailer with a THEORETICALLY higher weight so long as I keep the ACTUAL weight under the car’s towing capacity?

I’m a pre 1997 licence holder so I know I am ok on my weights driving licence wise (have the old 8250kg limit)

eskay

No, I think it would be illegal

project
    Free Member

The police are really cracking down on vehicle towing limits nowadays as an overloaded trailer will turn a vehicle over, and may cause serious injuries and delays, Hire a big van or small truck.

project
    Free Member

The maximum weight includes passengers, other loads, and fuel.

garage-dweller

I’m only doing it if it’s legal hence my question and the ACTUAL weight would be well under capacity so I’m not proposing something that on a practical level is likely to be unsafe.

I’m trying to get a dinghy about 20 miles but it’s too heavy for the roof of the car.

The guy who I’m buying it from is trying to help find/borrow a more suitable dinghy trailer but I’m looking at plan B in case he struggles. The length/width of it means a flat bed car trailer is the obvious choice as it’s about the size of a family car but only weighs about 200kg with all its gear.

maccruiskeen

IE is it legal to have a trailer with a THEORETICALLY higher weight so long as I keep the ACTUAL weight under the car’s towing capacity?

I’m pretty sure you can get prosecuted for an empty trailer if its plated laden weight is higher than the towing vehicle is rated for. Theres whole swamp of conflicting or confusing advice around though as you fall under different leglistlations/regularions/enforcement agencies depending on whether the towing activity or vehicles are private/leisure or business related and a those regs and agencies have changed over the last few years. So you’re never sure if advice is citing new or old info.

maccruiskeen

The length/width of it means a flat bed car trailer is the obvious choice as it’s about the size of a family car but only weighs about 200kg with all its gear.

What are the dimensions?

cleetonator

Where the sum of the maximum plated weights of the towing vehicle and of the trailer added together exceed the plated GCW of the towing vehicle, this is not a problem as long as the ‘actual’ weights of the vehicle and trailer (which may not be fully laden at the time) do not exceed the plated GCW

Department of Transport guidance

eskay

I’m pretty sure uou can get prosecuted for an empty trailer if its plated laden weight is higher than the towing vehicle is rated for.

I am fairly sure this is true.

garage-dweller

Project thanks yes I’ve got all the inclusions for the car in the original numbers (off the car’s plate/manual and rounded for convenience here).

The one bit that isn’t clear to me from what I’ve found online is whether the number that I’ve got left after that Max car value (in my case that is 2000kg) applies to the trailer’s actual weight as loaded or its theoretical weight if I loaded it up to the last kg (which I have zero intention of doing).

It seems odd to me that the max possible weight of something should dictate it’s legality (as it would rule out a lot of usefully sized trailers that would never get fully loaded for a lot of people) rather what it actually weighs as being used but the law has many odd foibles!

tillydog
    Free Member

I am fairly sure this is true.

It was true for a short time, several years ago, but common sense prevailed.

Now not a problem (as above)

maccruiskeen

It seems odd to me that the max possible weight of something should dictate it’s legality

It depends on the application. Like you mention in the OP your licence covers you for driving a 7.5 ton truck plus trailer. But if I pay you £50 to drive 7.5t plated truck and VOSA (or whatever they’re called now) pulled you over you’d be screwed, even if it was empty and weighed less than 3.5t. – once the activity is commercial you come under a different set of rules

garage-dweller

Cleetonator wins the internet.

How the “purple ocelot” did I miss that in about the third paragraph down the page – that’s :Dthe very place I (man) looked.

The thick as two short planks nailed end to end award goes to ME!

At last I’ve won something!

Big thanks to all at singletrailerworld.

tillydog
    Free Member

Have a look at section 7 of that link for your other question.

garage-dweller

Tillydog thanks also.

Marcus you can keep your £50 on that basis. I’ve had some occasional dealings with GVOLs and commercial vehicle stuff in the past, glad it’s not my day job!

cleetonator

😀
    I researched this myself a few weeks ago as I needed to tow an empty 3.5t plated trailer behind my freelander 2 (2t limit) to a scout event. Glad to be of assistance.

eskay

Well that is worth knowing, I looked into this in 2015 and it was very different (the max laden weight of the trailer was used, even if it was a fraction of the weight unladen). Seemed crazy to me at the time!

kerbdog
    Free Member

If you took your driving test after 1997 you’ll also need to do your B+E part of the test.
    Pre 1997 your grandfathered in. This allows you to tow a combined maximum of 3500 kilos. if i remember correctly.

mark90
    Free Member

VOSA do a handy guide to print out and keep in the car should you encounter any over zealous traffic cops who aren’t clear on the rules. Page 18 is the relevant bit. Confirms cleetonator’s link.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-for-horsebox-and-trailer-owners

allthegear
    Free Member

I needed to tow an empty 3.5t plated trailer behind my freelander 2 (2t limit) to a scout event.

— Blimey – how many beans can a scout group eat in a weekend????

Rachel

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Towing legalities question’ is closed to new replies.