Home Forums Bike Forum Tow bar racks

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tow bar racks
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Looking at a new rack. Needs to take an ebike bike and lets assume at least two for when I get old!

VW T4 camper van with lifting tail gate so a tilt function will be good.

Mr Google suggests that an Atera Strada DL allows the best access and can definitely allow the gate to open with a bike on.

Can the hive suggest anything else?

sharkattack

We did this recently and I ended up with a Buzz Rack E-Hornet. Not for e-bikes just for long slack mtb’s. It’s perfect. Rock solid and tilts enough to open the tailgate on a Yeti.

sparkerfix

As above. Buzz rack is great value, very well thought out and easy to use. I have a Thule rack as well but would choose the Buzz if I bought again.

flyingpotatoes

Got the same buzz rack as sharkattack.

Brilliant for the money and rated for 2 ebikes

Alex

Yep from that thread, I went for the https://buzzrack.com/galleries/e-scorpion-2-xl/ -don’t have an ebike, do have a number of big/long/funny shaped ones.

I wanted the new tow bar attachment system which is brilliant. Height adjust is great as well. It is – as said – absolutely rock solid. The tilt works well even with a bike on- you do need to keep a hold of the bike tho otherwise the rack will tilt very quickly before banging against the stop (ask me how i know ;) )

I had (2) Strada DL3s and while the tilt was good, the buzzrack beats it everywhere else. Biggest difference (other the bikes being rock steady) is the gap between the rails and the massive tyre buckets that ensure the wheels can’t move when secured.

I did have an older DL3 so some of the problems I had fitting bigger bikes may have been solved.

bails

Thanks @Alex for replying to that thread as well, I ended up with an E-Hornet off the back of it which I’m really pleased with.   However, I’ve got a Thule EuroClassic in the classifieds which is obviously far superior, so please buy that….

The Thule is a nicer finished thing than the BuzzRack, but it didn’t fit my (very tall) riding mate’s new (very long) bike.  The Buzzrack easily takes 2 biiig bikes and definitely looks more stable in the rear-view mirror as well.  And roofbox.co.uk were brilliant when a bit of the rack had been damaged during delivery, they sent out a replacement immediately without any quibbling.

The tilt gives plenty of room to open my boot, and I don’t even need to tilt it if the space nearest the car is empty, but that’s for a regular estate, not a van.

sharkattack

I bought the 2 bike Buzz Rack. I don’t know if that makes a difference to how it tilts but the pivot is quite far back, between the bikes, so even with 2 heavy bikes on it’s easy to tilt it gently. It’s not like it suddenly slams down.

benp1

Vans with tailgates have much less clearance than any estate car or similar

do any buzz rack users use them on a van? The atera strada is the only one I know of that tilts enough to use the tailgate on a van

Fat-boy-fat

Yakima Justclick for the win. So much better than my previous Altera racks, mainly due to the towbar clamp being impossible to overtighten.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Benp1 has the idea. Plenty of racks will work but it is that tail; gate clearance that will be the main feature. The bike is only a hardtail trekking thing with 2.5  tyres so not large but if we have to remove bikes to open the gate we might as well have them inside.

ta11pau1

I may have a buzzrack E-Scorpion 2 for sale once I’m back from the Alps in a couple of days, you’re welcome to test fit it if you’re anywhere near the SE (Kent). Unfortunately my T6 doesn’t have a towbar so I don’t know if it clears the rear screen.

sharkattack

My Buzzrack isn’t on a van but it’s on a Skoda Yeti so pretty vertical tailgate compared to most cars. The bikes drop down almost totally horizontal. I’d be stunned if your van tailgate could hit it.

mtb1234
    Free Member

I use an Atera Genio Pro on a Vw T5.1, for two enduro bikes. Tilts completely horizontally, until one of the bike’s handlebars touches the ground (800mm bars). Tailgate just about clears the rack by a couple of cm. It’s close though!

andyv
    Free Member

I’ve the Atera Strada DL3.

Previously on a tailgate T4, now on a tailgate T5. Just back from a 2000mile round trip to Alps with a full suss emtb, full fat eGravel, and proper CX bike on it. Batteries removed. Took the load well. Tailgate opens, if wide bar MTB closest to tailgate you’ll need to turn the bars to get fully open (overlaps about 3″ on a 760mm bar). Middle slot or drop bars would be fine.

Hasn’t missed a beat whole trip or previous 3 years I’ve had it.

mashr

I’ve recently sold my Strada DL3, they are terrible of you’ve got multiple bikes with Boost dropout spacing. Replaced with an E-Scorpion which is doing a grand job so far

ganic
    Free Member

Anyone confirm if the Buzz Rack works with a van tailgate, especially with bikes on?

charlie.farley

“But this geometry doesn’t allow for vertical tailgates to be opened – the only tow bar carriers we know about that are suitable for these vehicles, e.g. VW Transporter T5 and T6, and MPVs such as the Vauxhall Zafira and Ford Galaxy, are the Atera STRADA DL3 and the Atera Genio Pro”

Source: Buzz Rack E-Hornet from the roof box company

mattsccm
    Free Member

Thats the text from the roof box company I was basing my question on thus was wondering if anyone knew of anything else.

rootes1

Fitted my E Scorpian 2 to my mums t5 and nope does not clear the tailgate opening.

ta11pau1

Fitted my E Scorpian 2 to my mums t5 and nope does not clear the tailgate opening.

Useful info, cheers. Does it foul the rack itself or the bike?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.