• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by luket.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Tough semi slicks a moon on a stick?
  • Premier Icon luket

I really like semi slick treads with good cornering grip, but I don’t seem to be able to find the one I want, which is to benefit from the lower rolling resistance but not at the expense of toughness or volume.

My ideal is a 2.4-2.5ish size in a fairly tough, like EXO+ at least, but preferably a bit tougher, carcass. Will go on a 30mm internal width rim. Happy to use inserts. I’d expect a weight around 900-1100g in 27.5.

Minion SS I see there is a DD one (is that new?) but it’s only a 2.3. I’ve got used to more volume and not that keen on going back to 2.3 but in the absence of better options I might try one. Depends also whether it’s genuinely smaller or comes up a decent size in reality.

Rock Razor Supergravity looked ideal but I tore side knobs off it in just 2 or 3 rides last summer, as did a mate with 2 he bought, so that’s 3 tyres all gone the same way. Did we just get a bad batch? They were the newer “Evo” ones I think. I’m a little bit unsure on schwalbe anyway since I’ve known too many knobs tear off other schwalbe tyres prematurely in a similar way. Not the Supergravity Big Betty I’ve been running a while, but then that’s also a bit of a draggy monster, so far unpunctured although wearing quite quickly.

I just tried a Specialized Slaughter Grid, but the carcass is too thin for much of my use. I’ve punctured it twice already and I’ve only used it 3 or 4 times. Admittedly pinch flats at Bike Park Wales, which I know is hard on tyres but I think you know if something gives up too easily on you. I wasn’t going that hard, running an insert and my normal pressure (25 PSI, I weigh 80kg with my kit on). This one should still be good for some local riding but I wouldn’t buy another. I’m not a serial tyre swapper for the conditions – I’d rather fit and forget for the summer. It’s my first Specialized tyre in years so I think I just misjudged what the grid carcass is for. It was a 2.6 but looked more like my 2.4/2.5s, so size felt right. But the next carcass up is “downhill” and as a not massively heavy rider who’s riding trails and not taking particularly big hits I doubt that’s for me.

Is there anything else out there? How are others getting on with these tyres?

Premier Icon sharkattack

I’ve got the same problem. I want fast rolling tyres for travelling between local trails on miles of road and bridleway but I want tough casings that don’t squirm or split on rough trails.

I’ve realised that most manufacturers only combine their fastest treads with their lightweight carcass. The fastest Maxxis tyres in Exo+ and above are permanently out of stock.

I’ve also been disappointed with a Specialized Slaughter. Not as fast as it looks and with absolutely useless sidewalls. It went from the shop to bin the faster than any tyre I’ve ever had.

I’ve just ordered a pair of Dissector Exo+ in 2.4. I’d prefer 2.6 but they’re out of stock and I’d like a Rekon for the rear but you can’t get those either. They should be faster than the DHF/DHR combo that I currently have.

Premier Icon lewzz10

The DD Minion SS has been around for a while and is great, but I wouldn’t run one on a 30mm rim as it’s very square already on 25mm.

Still waiting for a WT SS, or a hard compound DD Dissector….

Premier Icon jamesoz

Rock Razor Supergravity looked ideal but I tore side knobs off it in just 2 or 3 rides last summer, as did a mate with 2 he bought, so that’s 3 tyres all gone the same way. Did we just get a bad batch? They were the newer “Evo” ones I think. I’m a little bit unsure on schwalbe

The Addix Rock Razor seems tougher. Been on my bike for many miles. Not falling apart (yet).

Agree on the Slaughter. I thought it was great until it kept popping off the rim. Older grid casing, so not that tough either

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

The DD Minion SS has been around for a while and is great, but I wouldn’t run one on a 30mm rim as it’s very square already on 25mm.

I reckon they work great on 30mm rims and TBH is my go-to tyre on my HT for Autumn-thru-Spring and in previous years ran them on the rear on my FS for the ‘warmer’ months.

Premier Icon luket

On Rekon, I have a 2.6 EXO one. I would say it’s a lighter weight sort of carcass than say an EXO Minion. It punctured very easily on the Enduro bike I’m referring to on this thread but I have put it back on my hardtail with an insert in, where it is doing the job OK. As a tread pattern I could take a Rekon I suppose but the same point applies about wanting a lot more toughness and if I’m buying new I’d prefer a semi slick tread with really good side knobs.

I also ran a 2.6 EXO Dissector, which is fine for what it is but isn’t a semi slick type tread and mine has a relatively lightweight (like Minion EXO, I guess) carcass.

Something else I wonder about my habit for killing tyres on this bike is to look elsewhere on the bike. I’m using full travel fairly habitually, although I don’t notice harsh bottom out. Perhaps I’m just insensitive and getting too many bottom outs, in which case if I fit tokens I might give the tyre an easier life.

Premier Icon CalamityJames

I’d love a 2.5 Minion SS. Asked Maxxis years ago and the response was to use the 2.5 Aggressor. Seems like I’m not the only rider who wants this kind of rear tyre…

Premier Icon thegeneralist

( with reference to the other thread currently running) might it be worth running inserts?

Not that I do, I just use Rekon 2.6s when I’m on easier non gnarr. And TBH the shit carbon dtswiss rim tends to break well before the Rekon 🤣🤣

Premier Icon Olly
    Free Member

Got some tired, rounded off tyres in the parts bin?
    Make your own?

Premier Icon LAT

kenda have the Helldiver pro in their catalog. no idea on availability, i just spotted it on a bike on instagram and remembered this thread

Premier Icon zerocool
    Free Member

I really like my Minion SS in DD as it lets me corner hard but as it’s on a hardtail I wouldn’t mind a 2.5-2.6 one to combine rolling speed and comfort.

My rims are 30mm but iMm not really sold on this wider rim fashion and think I’d prefer something like 25/26mm rims personally.

I did cut down a 2.6 WTB Trailboss for the rear that worked pretty well (Lighr, Fast I think) but it took bloody ages to snip each knobs short and not sure I’d bother again (much longer than when I used to cut the centre knobs of Wet Screams)

Premier Icon luket

Kenda Helldiver pro

Whoa there. That looks handy. <£40 on CRC or Winstanleys. What’s the catch?

I remember not being keen on Kenda, but it’s a looong time ago and a sample size of just me, so I think that can be discarded.

Premier Icon luket

I’d love a 2.5 Minion SS. Asked Maxxis years ago and the response was to use the 2.5 Aggressor. Seems like I’m not the only rider who wants this kind of rear tyre…

Hmmmm. I had an Aggressor too, on the same bike (I’ve been through a lot of rear tyres in 2 years!). I didn’t like it at all. The negative I remember was that it clogged terribly, but it can’t just be that because I was using it in the summer and I still didn’t like it, and I’ve always got on with semi slicks, which will surely clog just the same. Maybe I should give it another go. I replaced it with the Dissector which I preferred.

Premier Icon LAT

i don’t know anything about them, just saw a picture. someone will have written posted some about them. time to get the google out.

Premier Icon andyrm
    Free Member

Just ordered a Helldiver in AEC last night for £19!!

Reviews suggest casing is between EXO+ and DD so could be a great option.

As soon as mine arrives, I’ll feed back.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kenda-helldiver-pro-mtb-folding-tyre

Premier Icon luket

I was going to order too. But as with most tyre manufacturers, Kenda’s terminology for casing, compounds etc is confusing the hell out of me.

I thought EN-DTC (£40) sounded about right (a normal dual compound sort of thing, and carcass sounds same as AEC) but now up pops AEC at £20, but I’m unsure what the compound’s like? Grrr.

@andyrm
    did you get to the bottom of that or just punt on the cheap one? 😉

Premier Icon andyrm
    Free Member

I just took a punt at £20 as like you, I was confused as hell by the acronyms, and 20 mins of googling didn’t give me much clarity 🤣

There’s a lot to be said for WTB and their Tough/Light categorisation! Pity the Riddler isn’t still available as a slightly wider version of that would be great.

Premier Icon honourablegeorge

E13 do their LG1 DH and Enduro tyres in Semi Slick

Premier Icon rockthreegozy

The middle letter is meant to be the casing.

ATC (or DTC in this case) is trail
    AEC is enduro
    AGC (or RSR) is gravity ie downhill

They have listed the options weirdly as RSR is compound not casing but maybe Kenda just streamlined the naming format.

The AGC tyre with the Race Stick-e Rubber will be overkill for most

Premier Icon luket

Yeah, the options on Kenda’s website are simpler on the Helldiver page. Just three variants, one for each casing type:
    – Dual tread ATC
    – Dual layer AEC (074X5363)
    – Dual layer AGC

Of those I’d take the AEC. And to be fair the way Kenda lays it out there isn’t confusing. Unless you go on and look at the pages on carcasses and compounds.

However, wiggle sells the EN-DTC, which is apparently harder centre tread, soft shoulders, on an Enduro casing. Sounds more appealing to me than the dual layer AEC.

I wonder whether the EN-DTC, RSR etc variants have been discontinued in favour of the the simpler range of three above? But then the discounting of their “AEC” would be odd in that context.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Free Member

WTB Trailboss isn’t much slower than a Rock Razor and their “fast” compound is pretty durable.

Premier Icon luket

I’ve ordered the Kenda in both AEC and EN-DTC flavours. Will fit one and probably send the other back, but might keep a spare. As a minimum I can eyeball both and clarify what I’ve got from part numbers, maybe work out what’s what.

But yeah, I suspect I’d also be happy with A N Other fastish rolling but tough tyre that’s not a semi slick. Never had a WTB tyre.

Premier Icon leegee

Used a Trailboss for a 3 week trip recently and it is very durable and fast.

Premier Icon luket

Got the Kenda tyres. On the packet they are simply an AEC and an ATC. The EN-DTC thing is either a red herring or I think more likely just misdescribed by CRC/Wiggle. ATC is very light for me at 777g in the packet. AEC is 915g and sidewalls thicker than a DHR EXO plus I have in the shed. Compound I can’t really judge but its not maxxgrip soft – probably a pretty normal rear tyre compound. I’ll fit the AEC. It feels tough enough, especially for its very respectable weight. I’m optimistic.

Not got it out the packet but the ATC feels sturdier than the weight would suggest, just feeling sidewall thickness. Even so, I’ll probably send it back but I’ll hold fire til I’ve tried out the other one.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.