Home Forums Bike Forum Tools needed for a Freehub Body Service on a Specialized Disc?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tools needed for a Freehub Body Service on a Specialized Disc?
  • trevmccdonald
    Free Member

I’ve got a Stumpjumper 2018 FSR Comp and had it a year now and I think the time is coming up when the Freehub Body needs a service.

According to the specs, the Rear Rub is a: Specialized disc, alloy, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle

I’ve never done this task before. What tools do I need ? All I’ve got is the tools to remove the Cassette and the Disc Rotor. I believe I need some Cone Wrenches but not sure what size.

I’ve looked at some vidoes but they aren’t specific to my wheel.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I suspect you’ll find it’s a generic hub and I doubt the freehub is easily serviceable.  You maybe able to replace the freehub if you can find one.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>That being said you may be lucky and it may be serviceable just depends on the hub and without seeing it it’s impossible to say.</span>

You’ll definitely need a chain whip and a cassette tool. You’ll probably need 17 and 19mm cone spanners an adjustable spanner and you might need some large Allen keys 8 or 10mm.

Best bet would be to do a bit more googling to see if anyone has identified the hub for your bike and then look for further instructions.

Good luck

orangeboy
    Free Member

Have a look on here

https://www.formulahubs.com/product.php?t=3

Ignore the branding there’s a good chance it’s one of them.

jonnyboi

YNMV obviously, but I serviced my superstar switch rear hub today and I needed.

chain whip and cassette tool to remove the cassette (obvs)

x2 17mm cone spanner’s to remove the end caps on a 142 x 12mm hub

x 1 socket set, x 1 nylon hammer

drifted the bearings out with the socket extension, knocked the new ones in with an appropriately sized  socket. 15 mins work in total

if yours is a novatec hub or similar it will be broadly the same

trevmccdonald
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a Cone Wrench set from 15mm to 20mm. I think I have most of the other stuff already. I can certainly take the cassette and the disc brake off.

I’ve yet to find out for sure what the hub is, but I’ve done some reading into this and read that the Stumpjumpers use the Hi Lo hubs ? I’ve also heard that they are non-serviceable, but it is possible to replace them

I’m going to wait until the Cone Wrenches arrive first then see if I then have the ability to take it off and put it back together. I also need to find out what type of hub it is for sure so that I can order a replacement.

jonnyboi

Normal spanners may well do to undo the end caps, especially if it is 12 x 148

there will probably be a cap on one end and the rest is a shaft, when you remove that you should be able to remove the free hub body from the hub for inspection , although again ymmv.

orangeboy
    Free Member

If you need a new freehub body they can be ordered though a Spesh dealer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tools needed for a Freehub Body Service on a Specialized Disc?’ is closed to new replies.