Home Forums Bike Forum Tjs recovery ride 5. The low countries and France

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 582 total)
  • Tjs recovery ride 5. The low countries and France
  • Edukator
    Free Member

Camping Espèrance then, go on then, post a pic of Fort Bayard if the lens on you phone camera is up to it.

tjagain

Yes

Ill have a go once face stuffed and tent up

tjagain

Managed to put the tent up. Bread and croissants ordered for the morning. Time for a walk on the beach at dusk. This is a tough one. Its when i miss julie so much is walking on the beach

bobdobalina
    Free Member

If you get the chance visit Brouage. A wee walled village-lots of history. And if you like oysters you are approaching the right area!

Sandwich

Courage mon brave.

tjagain

Ouch

tjagain

I think this may be fort boyard. My best guess anyway

tjagain

Ffs posting pics

tjagain

Effing black dot in the centre if the pic works this time

tjagain

tjagain

tjagain

jamj1974

I’ve really enjoyed this TJ and all the comments it’s attracted.

Edukator
    Free Member

That’s it. :) There are Vauban fortifications all the way around that coastline. Some reading to send you to sleep:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_Rochefort

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Basque_Roads

leffeboy

I rode part of the eurovelo 4 round Normandy today and I now understand why you wanted to do shortcuts. It was great if you just wanted a bimble with the family but less fun if you wanted to get somewhere

Edukator
    Free Member

On the section TJ is riding at the moment it’s worth staying on the cycle route IMO, Leffeboy, it takes you past many places of interest and you get great sea/landscapes. However it must be more than double the distance of the shortest route between La Rochelle and Royan. When I did it I had the attitude that the route was what I was there for and it was a pity to leave it it and get buzzed by cars along routes départementales. However, other sections were just winding through pine forests with no views, TJ has already nipped past some of those when he cut the corner from Nantes to the coast.

leffeboy

Agree that getting buzzed isn’t fun and some of the coastal stuff was nice but it did feel like we were being kept off of the roads by taking every path almost up to the road then away again and then back.

MrTricky
    Free Member

A few years back I rode quite a bit of what you are about to do, but over two trips. I did the eurovelo route, but started from Lourdes (which was an experience). Also from Santiago to Biarritz. Really enjoyed the region you’ve just passed through. The section from Biarritz to Bilbao was fantastic though, loved that.
    If you decide to keep going in Spain you’ll pass the largest sea cliff nesting colony of vultures in Europe – you’ll know when you are there as they fly just above your head in considerable numbers. I followed the northern most Camino route along the Spanish coast. Lovely people, awesome food and stupidly cheap – had a 3 course dinner, with a full bottle if red, for 12 euros on one camp site (possibly Santandaer)

dissonance

I’ve really enjoyed this TJ and all the comments it’s attracted.

Its definitely one of the better threads to read (aside from when I was running low on food and saw some nice photos of grub).
    The occasional tjs recovery ride and weird nutters on campsites (to paraphrase slightly) side by side has also been funny.

kimbers

Ah TJ you are just down the coast from where the good family kimbers are staying at St Hilaire de Riez !

So close

Tonight’s sunset was fantastic

tjagain

Shame to miss you Kimbers

tjagain

Morning coffee on tbe beach

tjagain

Wtf is happening with pics?

tjagain

tjagain

Someone asked about solar powered ebikes. There is one on site. Huge 3 wheel trailer with solar panels

anagallis_arvensis

This is a tough one. Its when i miss julie so much is walking on the beach

If you miss her she’s still there! She won’t be leaving you. Take care.

tjagain

This mornings croissants are still warm

Yummy

tjagain

I was talking to the chap with the solar e bike. The huge trailer is also a stage. He is doing electronic music gigs with it as well. All from the solar panels. He has overrun brakes. Regeneration braking and an auto mode using a strain gauge on the tow hitch. 200kg trailer

retrorick

The solar trailer needs to be in the sunshine 😂.
    Wouldn’t want to tow it up any long or steep hills.

jodafett

The solar trailer needs to be in the sunshine

😂 He’s missed a trick there!

tjagain

In Marennes tonight and gonna have at least one day off the bike here
    Lovely site with swimming pool chips and beer along with a special corner for cyclists that is cheap.

tjagain

tjagain

matt_outandabout

The “special corner”…are you sure it’s for all cyclists?
    ;-)

scruff9252

Marennes? I had a brilliant long summer on my gap year working on a campsite in Marennes a couple of decades ago. Wonderful part of the world.

Do try and explore Bordeaux if you get the chance!

tjagain

Lolz at Matt

I think i have plenty of time to get to Spain now s im gonna check details and see what is what. Might be able to afford a few days off.

tjagain

Edukator
    Free Member

Wot, no pic of the pont transbordeur?

https://www.sudouest.fr/tourisme/patrimoine/monuments-preferes-des-francais-en-images-lequel-de-ces-trois-sites-representera-le-sud-ouest-10880693.php

Make the most of the good weather tomorrow, it looks like it will be stormy for a few days. It’s a deluge right now in Pau.

tjagain

I have been so baked in the sun for so long some rain wouldnot go amiss.

I took a strava line and missed the transporter bridge. Lovely old railway and canal side this afternoon.

Gonna meet up with me edukator? Come ride a day or two with me? I might even come in from the coast a bit.😀😎

matt_outandabout

I’m double jealous of the ride and beer today – I’m feeling properly ill….

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 582 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.