Home Forums Bike Forum Those b****** at Cotic

• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 hour ago by jfab.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Those b****** at Cotic
    honourablegeorge

I have a really nice hardtail that I really like and I don’t get to  ride enough and still Cotic marketing has me desperate to buy the new BFE

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFe

The white looks ace, or there’s a gunmetal one, and will take a 27.5 rear wheel via a trick dropout. Looks ace, I had the previous one and loved it.

Do not need. do not need.

chiefgrooveguru

The 27.5/29 rear dropouts is a genius idea! I wonder if the disc mount is positioned so with the same adapter it fits a 200mm disc on a 27.5 and a 180mm disc on the 29?

chambord

Was also just reading that. Is it their first UDH frame?

tall_martin

Completely unreasonable.

honourablegeorge

chiefgrooveguru
    The 27.5/29 rear dropouts is a genius idea! I wonder if the disc mount is positioned so with the same adapter it fits a 200mm disc on a 27.5 and a 180mm disc on the 29?

Interesting, certainly looks like that. Would be another layer of clever to what already looks like a really neat setup. I’ve seen some other brands saying they can’t do flip chips with UDH (although suspension adds extra complication, I’m sure).

You even get a shorter (effective) chainstay in the mullet position. It’s all very smart.

Not just b*******, but clever b*******, those Cotic lads

chiefgrooveguru

“I’ve seen some other brands saying they can’t do flip chips with UDH (although suspension adds extra complication, I’m sure).”

I wonder if the dropout being steel means you can do things that aren’t possible in alloy or carbon because it can be much thinner (giving clearance for the UDH parts) and still be strong/stiff enough?

Interesting to be see on the images how little actual difference there is between a 431mm (pretty short) chainstay and a 445mm (pretty long) chainstay!

honourablegeorge

I think the way a transmission mech clamps either side of the dropout means the thickness of the dropout is predefined, but yeah, there’s probably more space in that general area with skinny tubes and no suspension movement

snotrag

Its a neat idea but I’m interested to know whether it has true, full UDH compatability in the upper/long/29 position – in other words, can you fit a t-type mech and run 29? Does it clear the bottom dropout?

crossed

Was also just reading that. Is it their first UDH frame?

UDH but won’t work with Transmission.

honourablegeorge

Rear Mech Hanger: SRAM UDH (Not Transmission compatible)

Ah, you’re right – so not quite as clever as firs thought. I’d say the advantages outweigh the slight disadvantage, though

chiefgrooveguru

Is Transmission compatible with the ethos of a burly steel hardtail? Surely any bike like this should be getting something tough and good value like LinkGlide 10 speed! (10 gears feels like loads when you’re used to only having one!)

kelvin

I wonder if the disc mount is positioned so with the same adapter it fits a 200mm disc on a 27.5 and a 180mm disc on the 29?

In the mullet position, it uses a special post mount brake adapter to use a 180mm disc… that adaptor comes with the frame. I checked this with Cy yesterday.

In the full 29er position, standard post mount brake adapters can be used for 180 or 200 (or 203) discs.

WildHunter2009

I literally posted on a comment on Instagram that I regretted selling my first gen longshot BFe and now this…. Am very very tempted even though I’m really saving for a full suss. But could just move everything from my Scandal onto this.

honourablegeorge

kelvin
    In the mullet position, it uses a special post mount brake adapter to use a 180mm disc… that adaptor comes with the frame. I checked this with Cy yesterday.

In the full 29er position, standard post mount brake adapters can be used for 180 or 200 (or 203) discs.

Cool… although I liked the idea that they had somehow just lined it all up with the old fashioned IS mount that’s pictured

chiefgrooveguruFull Member
    Is Transmission compatible with the ethos of a burly steel hardtail?

Well, there are mechanical versions  on the way, it seems – tbh, I’d have it on all the bikes if I could, just to avoid the constant hanger tweaking that’s a feature of 12 speed

jfab

If anyone doesn’t want to wait, and fancies a BFeMAX frame (small) to tide them over in the meantime I have one going spare… #notaverystealthad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.