Home Forums Bike Forum Thermal race top with good breathability – for a bit of xc racing

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Thermal race top with good breathability – for a bit of xc racing
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

Im looking for a thermal layer with great breathability but also some warmth to it. Im going to do a few cross country races this year and the first few are during Feb so its going to be cold. Was looking at the Rap Vapour Rise Lite. Although its great I’m not sure I need the hood. The other one was the Rab Vapur Rise Flex. Perhaps with a gilet over the top. Quite a few soft shells ive seen are just too bulky for that kind of riding. Any other recommendations with good wicking, good breathability, light and just enough warmth?

Cheers guys

Clink

If you are racing I would have thought any of those would be too warm? The Fab Vapour Rise kit does breath well – I have the vest and use it of running when close to freezing or under a water proof when biking in cold and wet conditions. Surely you just want a long sleeve jersey and a thin gilet?

windyg
    Free Member

If you want more of a race fit have a look at http://www.montonsports.co.uk

swanny853

I’m a big fan of a gilet, but for a more all in one option- stolen goat orkaan kit might do the job here? It’s windproof, water resistant enough for an hour or two of racing and a nice snug fit. I’ve found mine is good for riding on my own when maintaining a decent pace but suffers on warmth if riding in a more leisurely group or stopping a lot. Sounds like it might suit?

Do check the sizing, especially on the race cut- I normally hover between medium and large and the large orkaan race is really very snug.

Kryton57

You don’t need a thermal top for racing.

The coldest you’ll be is on the start line – either layer up with something removable you can throw in the pits / to a helper of suffer the cold for 10 mins.  5 mins after the start you’ll be sweating enough to sink a battleship…

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to what Kryton says. Start cold (well coolish not full muscle cold) and you’ll be fine. I’d go mesh thermal layer (Brynje seems the marque of the moment) with a standard zipped cycling top that you can zip/unzip to manage your temperature.

theotherjonv

a long long time since I put on a number on with any level of intent but echo what the gents above say….. if you need a thermal top on when racing, you’re getting the racing bit badly wrong.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

The Stolen Goat/Bioracer Tempest Kit is spot on for cold and inclement conditions for racing. I used the tempest kit for a snowy and slushy cx race at parc Bryn Bach and it was spot on. I’d rather be potentially sweating a bit than getting blue and muscles not working well.

lunge

For XC racing you’re surely into roadie kit aren’t you? So a Gabba or similar and a suitable base layer would be my thought.

But as above, you don’t need thermals for racing, have an old hoodie on the line and throw it to the side just before the gun. You’ll be sweating on no time.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Anything aimed at CX in the winter if you’re feeling the cold, like castelli San Remo Thermo stuff of ROubaix style jerseys will be more than enough..

frogstomp

Morvelo thermoactive jerseys are in the sale on their website at the moment.

rich-c
    Free Member

Be bold start cold.

Apart from your hands that is!

andymott
    Free Member

I use a standard summer short sleeved jersey over a Craft Active Extreme short sleeved base layer and they work well for me. Chilly on the start line, a touch too warm after 5 minutes then it all settles and I don’t notice my temperature any more.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above, that will be too warm.

And you’ll sweat a lot if you are actually racing, it’s inevitable

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Cheers. The craft base layers look good. Are they the best ones to go for.

Kryton57

I use a craft base also, in this weather with a club jacket which is the Kalas version of a Gabba.  I wear a LS craft base as my jacket has removable sleeves, but on the second lap my zip will be down.  Bib shorts and knee warmers below

When I get tired I get cold first so if it’s 4h I can zip up later.

Yes those craft active extreme tops me tops are very good.  If you are road biking try to get the one with the chest wind panel.

mrb123
    Free Member

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-classics-thermosuit/

One of these with warmers and gilet if needed?

olibluegoat
    Free Member

best to go with a long sleve or short sleve base layer?

chakaping

Slightly leftfield, but I have worn just a light softshell jacket (and shorts obvs) for a cold and rainy xc race before.

I’d worry (perhaps wrongly) about feeling too warm with a base and a softshell style jersey.

And I didn’t need to buy any new kit.

akira

Endura MTR windproof longer sleeve Jersey, bit of windproofing but nice and thin. Then just layer up under it as needed.

whitestone
    Free Member

I know everyone handles effort differently but I was out today (-2C and windy) just pootling about and was perfectly warm but nowhere near sweating. I was wearing a mid-weight long sleeve thermal with a Gore Windstopper jacket, Roubaix bib tights. At race effort I’d have boiled.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Thermal race top with good breathability – for a bit of xc racing’ is closed to new replies.