Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • #TOTW The important Mince Pie thread.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Recommendations; what have you got? Shop bought/supermarket only. No home-made artisan farmers market craft-pie nonsense thank you very much. Those little mini fellas shall be allowed.

Hot/Cold? Custard? Cream? Buttered? Or just trough the entire box in ten minutes?

Klunk
    Free Member

No home-made artisan farmers market craft-pie nonsense thank you very much.

that’s not the STW way!

fooman

In terms of easily available I like the Greggs ones more than any supermarket pies, though I’ll still eat any.

My brother gets some amazing pies from a farm shop near him, 6 different styles in a pack, but it’s a bit far away for me.

MoreCashThanDash

Best I’ve had so far this year have been the posh Tescos range. Aldi have been disappointing this year, and a smaller range than usual too.

Not within the rules, but if you live near Derby, Croots Farm Shop outside Duffield is the place for mince pies.

MoreCashThanDash

Oh, and warm, with clotted cream for preference.

tuboflard

So far I’ve had a box of M&S, Waitrose, Coop and Asda plus a no name local corner shop version. M&S a nose in front so far, served warm with cream in the evening and cold during the day. I’ve got a bit of a problem. Last year I think I had something like 90.

towpathman

Had 4 Morrisons ones earlier on

tuboflard

Avoid the Heston ones from Waitrose too. Garbage. Tried to mess with a classic and turned them in to vile little gobfuls of nastiness.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’ve got a bit of a problem. Last year I think I had something like 90.

Username checks out…

Serious though. Respect! I get through them in an almost obscene fashion.

dc1988

Agreed about the Heston ones, original is best. Waitrose have been the best so far for me but need to give M&S a go.

northernmatt

Sainsbury’s do some frangipane topped ones which are amazing. Their gin and Clementine ones are bit weird though.

sirromj

Had two icing topped mince pies served with Christmas pudding icecream earlier. The icecream unfortunately was knife-bendingly frozen solid 🙁

snotrag

6 Morrisons and 6 Aldi so far.

Morrisons in the lead.

jimmy

Only had Sainsbury’s TTD which came out tops in the Grauniad.

Is there such thing as a bad one?

welshfarmer

Last second grab of some Waitrose essential ones, 6 for £1, as I hit the checkout today.

Not especially big, not especially good, but just had a warm one with some thick Greek Yoghurt and it was OK. I think the Aldi ones I have a few weeks back were better

joshvegas
    Free Member

Mince pies are mingin’.

Proper Christmas cake is where it’s at.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought so either, but first box of the season were some cheap tesco ones. Crap. Maybe they were last year’s stock.

Mince pies are mingin’.

Proper Christmas cake is where it’s at.

Wut?

Christmas Cake can get in the sea. Christmas pudding maybe… mmmm…

scaredypants

co-op’s poshish ones (irresistible ?) are best I’ve had so far this year

I used to bloody love some that aldi sold but not seen them for the past couple of years

Edit:  Warm, with thick cream

scuttler

Wife’s. **** legendary. Pics on here next week.

jca

Pukkka minced beef and onion…

dknwhy

@scuttler pics of wife or pies? Clarification needed.

jeffl

Co-Op ones that look like they’re baked in store. Nice crisp short crust, good tasty filling.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Lidl’s Dairy Free with homemade brandy-butter . Sorted. Bishbashnosh. Although last year got a few boxes of Greggs mince pies (also veggie/dairy-free) and they were the bombiggetty also

MoreCashThanDash

@scuttler pics of wife or pies? Clarification needed.

Both?

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Are we allowed to say ready rolled pastry and then the Waitrose mince pie filling? I’m always annoyed at the lack of filling in most.
    I’ll be doing the same this year and leaving out for postie and delivery drivers.

Heston ones were awful! Who wants caraway pastry?! Need to try the Aldi ones.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Only tried Aldi this year, not bad. Hot with homemade ice cream, which I’m developing an unhealthy addiction to. 😬

retrorick

I like the Aldi 75p boxes of mince pies. Judging by the number of boxes in my local store that are going to be past their sell by date on the 15th of December I reckon they will be down to 50p a box very soon 🤣

patagonian
    Free Member

Only had the standard Co-Op ones so far and they were underwhelming to say the least.

nickc

Morrison’s weren’t bad. Apparently the M&S ones are v good this year.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve only had Harrods (Occado sell them :p ) and M&S fancy ones so far, both disappointing (especially the Harrods ones). I usually just stick to the Tesco fancy ones, they don’t get much love but seem the best to me.

Sandwich

@jimmy and the verdict on the recommendation by the Grauniad? Minus points for only half a job.
    Some of the cheaper ones are under filled in my experience. The Frangipane ones sound good though.

jimmy

@sandwich maybe I should have been clearer.

It was decent. Crumbly pastry, would like more filling but overall verdict was

Houns

I saw a pack of these off with a mug of tea, I daren’t buy any more

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/all-christmas/sainsburys-mincemeat-puffs-x8-200g

willard

I almost miss mince pies. Will have to look for some in th shops here. Maybe Lidl has some.

dc1988

Sainsbury’s were my first purchase this year and the pastry just fell to pieces, definitely not worthy of winning any awards

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

M&S ones – the cognac smothers the fruity tang of the mince, so it’s a no from me.
    Greggses ones are the best I’ve had so far

jonnyfelloff
    Free Member

Had some last year that had a crumble topping instead of pie pastry. Oh it were luverly.

Might have been t’aldi

pocpoc
    Free Member

-1 for Greggs. Bought a pack at the weekend. Shallow and soggy/greasy. Very disapponted.
    Only had the cheap Aldi ones otherwise so far. As every year, they will be my go to standard – cheap and just down the road so I can get through plenty of them without any supply issues. Need to find some icing topped ones in the very near future though.

alexpalacefan

Warm, take the top off, big ol’ blob of brandy butter, top back on.
    Topping of your choice.

You can thank me later.

APF

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘#TOTW The important Mince Pie thread.’ is closed to new replies.